Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Selling a wood stove Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:27:54 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to sell my in-laws old woodstove and I am having trouble. I have never bought or used a woodstove, and I don't know what people need to know about it. The brand is Bullard and they bought it in the late 70s or early 80s. They stopped using it in the early 90s when health issues made it too difficult for them, but they brought the old stove along when they moved into their smaller house and it has sat in the garage with its pipes stacked up on top for the past 7 years. My husband remembers it as being a very efficient heater, probably ideal for approx. 2000 square feet of house. If you were looking to buy a used woodstove, would this be enough info for you? I can't find much about Bullard stoves on the internet. Maybe the company is no longer in business?

Also, if any of you have installed a woodstove recently, what would you need to know about the pipes? A coworker tells me that her husband is interested in getting a woodstove, but only if it comes with all the external pipe that it needs because the pipe costs $300 per foot. Is that possible? My husband doesn't think his parents paid that much for the pipe they used. Has something changed in the code law that makes the old pipe obsolete?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I really need to get this woodstove out of the garage soon, as the house is for sale.

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:36:00 AM  Show Profile
My gosh, I've never heard such a price for woodstove piping unless it's one of the ultra modern super duper insulated pipes...I had an Ashley woodstove and just bought the pipes at the local hardware store and the part that comes out of the stove that has the vent open/close adjustment.

I'd be interested in hearing about these $300 per foot pipes

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile
We installed a wood stove at our cabin last year and dh used to sell them. I will ask him when he gets home from work.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile
We have a woodstove in our home as well, and I'm curious. When you say external pipe, is this an outdoor woodstove or one that you put in the house. The indoor type require tin pipes usually available at hardware stores and maybe range in price from 5-12 dollars depending on size and bends and such. You have to have a flue on this pipe as well but thats only a few dollars, and I dont think there's any pipe in the world worth $300 per foot! Best of luck!
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Sorry forgot all about this thread. Do you still need info? Dh gets home around 8 at night and I'll try (again) to remember to ask him if you still need the info.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  10:20:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Sherri, don't worry about it. I finally bit the bullet and called a store (I hate to bother salespeople when I'm not interested in buying anything from them). I found out that the price of stove pipe really has gone up. Code laws (here at least) require insulated pipe (not the older double or tripled walled pipe). So to install a woodstove in a two story home might cost between 1 and 2 thousand dollars, just for the pipe. Yikes! Something to look into, if you are planning to get a woodstove. I think a lot of people will be suprised, especially if they had woodstoves in the past.

Even so, the stove sold on craigslist in just one day. I didn't mention the pipe as a selling point, so no one could feel taken in. The man who bought the stove did take the pipe when we offered it to him. He didn't mention where he was planning to install the stove.

Sorry, I would have added to this post and let you know what I'd found, but for some reason I couldn't find the thread again. Thanks for thinking about me!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Selling a wood stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page