Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting help needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting help needed Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Before I explain my question, I need to explain that I'm not an accomplished knitter. When I was in grade school I learned how to knit and purl, made a few pairs of slippers, and never knitted again until a few months ago when my church started a Prayer Shawl Ministry.

DD and I found some gorgeous yarn (Yarn Bee Jewelsongs) that she wants an afghan made from to take to college. I've been waiting for it to go on sale and it is, so I'm ready to get some yard and get started.

The problem is that I can't find a basic knitted afghan pattern to figure out how many stitches to cast on and how many skeins of yarn to buy. I probably can't afford all I need now, but I can get started.

So here are my questions:

1. It's a light yarn, so should I knit 2 strands at a time?
2. How many stitches should I cast on?
3. For a basic pattern, what would you recommend? Someone told me to k 3 rows and p 3 rows. Would that be okay? Would something else be prettier?
4. Should I use "round" needles?

All suggestions and help are truly appreciated. I'd love to be able to send dd off to college with this afghan!!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile
A good pattern that keeps it's shape well is k3, p3, k3, - makes a modified seed stitch - and easy for beginning knitters. Depends on the weight of your yarn, how many stitches you should cast on. check the gauge and multiply it out - how wide do you want the afghan to be. Regarding using 2 strands, if it is a light weight yarn, I would. It's going to take a long time to make an afghan with light weight yarn, and you'll have to modify your gauge to figure out your stitches. If you have your heart set on that yarn, that's the way to go. Otherwise, try using a heavier yarn - it will be faster and easier to figure. Circular needles are the way to go for an afghan.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Another thing about the yarn...if you think it may take you some time to complete, you will want to get all the yarn you need at once so that you don't get stuck with a different dye lot at the end. I'm lucky, I have a local yarn store that will order all that you need and then has a layaway program so you can buy as much as you can afford at any given time. You might want to ask about this!
Also, if I were doing an afghan I would definitely work back and forth on circulars. Straight needles are "ok" for baby afghans but even at that its a lot of stitches to pack on 14" of needle.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  11:14:18 AM  Show Profile
You might want to look at www.yarn.com to check out some heavier yarn. I just bought a few skeins of a really thick Rowan wool to make a baby blanket out of and it was on closeout and so was pretty cheap. If you aren't getting all of your yarn at once you could try doing a log cabin type blanket. Check out the mason-dixon book or website. That way you could use different colors and knit a square or rectangle at a time. I don't think you have to seam these kinds of blankets though. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  12:24:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mikesgirl

A good pattern that keeps it's shape well is k3, p3, k3, - makes a modified seed stitch - and easy for beginning knitters. Depends on the weight of your yarn, how many stitches you should cast on. check the gauge and multiply it out - how wide do you want the afghan to be. Regarding using 2 strands, if it is a light weight yarn, I would. It's going to take a long time to make an afghan with light weight yarn, and you'll have to modify your gauge to figure out your stitches. If you have your heart set on that yarn, that's the way to go. Otherwise, try using a heavier yarn - it will be faster and easier to figure. Circular needles are the way to go for an afghan.

barging in here....quick question on the modified seed stitch - so you knit the knits and purl the purls?TIA~Dona in Mount Vernon:)

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Right - it's basically a three stich strip of garter stitch, next to another 3 stitch strip of garter stich, but they're offset, so it looks like a subtle stripe.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:56:26 PM  Show Profile
I do the K3,P3 for my prayer shawls, and it comes out nicely. I would think about how your DD wants the afghan to feel- as far as the weight of it, when choosing the yarn. Even some that seem lighter feel nice and warm when knitted up. I usually use the Lion Bran Homespun for my shawls, and I would think it makes a nice feeling afghan as well. Find out if she wants a rectangle or a square (like a throw), and that can help with determining your size. Usually I would just eyeball the casted on amount and decide if that looked like "enough."

Good luck!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the Lion Homespun yarn. I use it for the caps and scarves I sell at shows in the wintertime. Everone loves the feel of it.
Go to Top of Page

HAINAngel2000
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Mary
Sweet Home OR
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  7:26:34 PM  Show Profile
How about doing an all cable yarn. Just a basic cable, no fancy stuff. Or a basketweave? Both would look great with the lighter weight yarns. It depends if your making an adult yarn or a baby aghan? What ply is your yarn?

I think 100 sts is a baby afghan if using light wieght yarn, if I remember right 150 -200 sts for adult size afghan. It seriously matters what type of yarn.
-Mary

Email: info@heavenlyangelsinneed.com
Bereavement: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.org
Blog: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patti, That Yarn Bee Jewelsongs is very nice yarn...I love going to Hobby Lobby and looking at all of the yarn bee brand..it is the prettiest and best quality "store brand" yarn I've ever used.

I wonder who manufacturers it for them? Got to be one of the top yarn companies.

I hope to learn more about knitting when I get moved and have a shop to go to for some instruction. I can knit and purl but just didn't pick up the techniques like I did with crochet...and I taught myself since I'm left handed.

It seems ok to me to knit either way though since it's back and forth.

I'll have to try the k3,p3,k3 pattern..that seems simple enough

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdom.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  04:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie- have you tried knitting continental? I think it may be easier for someone who's left-handed. Google it so you can see the difference, but basically it's knitting with the left hand doing the work (and carrying the yarn)rather than the right. Lots easier. I taught myself about six years ago and struggled with knitting until I decided I would hold the needles the way I did when I crocheted (which wasn't as novel as I thought, since lots of other people do it). You can use your index finger to "toss" the yarn over the right needle and never need to let go to hold and put the yarn over the needle.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  04:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Ok, being left handed and struggling at times with knitting I thought I would check out this Continental thing! I found this awesome video on youtube and I think this looks so much easier! Off to grab my knitting needles. You gals are the bestest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye

Edited by - cabinmoose on Jul 31 2007 04:32:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Lorna1 So glad you found something to show you! I've always knit(ted) continental, although I didn't know it had an official name. It seems much easier and faster to me (and the purls are easier as well)- at least it seems that way when I watch others knit English. Good luck!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

HAINAngel2000
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Mary
Sweet Home OR
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile
http://knittinghelp.com this is step by step free video's online on knitting!! Great website

Email: info@heavenlyangelsinneed.com
Bereavement: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.org
Blog: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  1:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, ladies!! This thread helped me sooo much. I got all the yarn they had that she wanted and a rain check for the rest I think I'll need, and I also got the circular needles. I'm hoping to start tonight after everyone's in bed and the house is quiet.

I'm really glad someone mentioned Continental knitting. My dd wants to knit prayer shawls with us (ladies group at church) but is having trouble learning from me because she's left-handed and my way is really awkward for her. I'll tell her about that method and the video when she gets home from work after while.

Again, thank you for all your help! When I get it done (thinking realllly positive here ) I'll post a picture.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  5:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Carolinagirl, I just heard that a new yarn shop just opened in Hickory. It's called String of Purls. There is also another one there but I don't know the name of it. They are both on the same road though. (127 N) If you want more details I can get them. I wasn't sure if you had a good yarn shop near you or not. Daisy

Thistle Sprig Farm
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I have two I frequent, both they are each as far as going to Hickory anyway. See if you can find locations, Daisy- I'd love to find more yarn stores. :) Thanks-
Kim

PS- How did you find out about one in NC?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  1:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Kim, here's what I know.......BOth of the stores are located on Hwy 127 which is North of I-40. The one that I don't know the name of but have driven past is in a little plaza on the right side of the road. If you go under a bridge and a fire dept is on the left you just missed it. The other store called string of purls is further North on the same road and if you come to the Hobby Lobby you just passed it. It too is in a little strip mall.

I grew up in Hickory and all of my family still live there so that's how I know the area. If you want even better dierctions I can talk to someone and get them for you!

Daisy

Thistle Sprig Farm
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Daisy! I'll keep an eye out for them. DDs spend vacations with their Gma in WV, and hit 40 in Morganton and then to 77 in Statesville, so I go right by Hickory. Usually I stop there and shop when I drop the girls off with their Grandma.

Kim :)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting help needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page