newmomma327
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Tabatha
Michigan
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  5:53:08 PM  Show Profile
So I know August is a month pretty much devoid of holidays (and unbelieveably it is upon us almost) so I'm wondering how do all of you lovely ladies celebrate this dog-day month? Any special traditions you partake in? Do you do anything to mark the end of summer or the approaching autumn? Just curious

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  6:01:57 PM  Show Profile
We do more fishing in August and Sept. than any other months if that counts..haha
The kids and I have little traditions for before school starts..getting ready for the fair and we always have at least one campout in our backyard..in addition to any that are away from here too...that is always fun. And LOTS of canning for sure..busiest canning months here are August and Sept!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile
We do more picnics at the beach in August. I guess we feel like the summer is running out, which it is... :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  03:41:03 AM  Show Profile
August is really the only warm month here in central/northern VT. In Aug I think of swimmingholes, lemonade, the garden (maybe canning this year) and sadly the end of our short summer so....I think about buying firewood, making sure all my outdoor repairs are done and so forth.

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:06:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure this counts as a celebration, but our county fair starts on Aug 6th and runs through the 12th. DD will have 3 lambs at the show and one for the auction. We stay in a motorhome on the beach with lots of other 4-H friends/families. Potlucks, bike rides, chats by the fire and fireworks; and tons of books - in between showing animals. I guess it's kinda like a vacation.

After that we are on the back to school sprint. This year DD starts high school. No uniforms. Darn. But, they do have a pretty strict dress code. Now I have to take her shopping for real clothes. Then for books and supplies too.

We really celebrate the end of summer with a Labor Day weekend trip (the last Hooray of summer). This year it's the Columbia River Gorge area. Fresh air and hikes along the river and waterfalls.

Even with the Indian Summers of California, we start winding into a fall routine after Sept 1 - getting ready for winter. The barn is cleaned and repairs made. The chick coop is cleaned and disinfected, new bedding put in the nesting boxes so the girls are comfy all winter. All our sheep show supplies are cleaned, oiled and stored. Lists are made of needed supplies to be ordered next Jan.

By Oct I'm ready to put some of the garden to bed and start planting early spring bulbs.

I wish I could say we have some down time for rest and reflection, but that usually doesn't happen until it rains and we move indoos.

What ever you do this next month - Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One of my friends created a holiday called "Augustus Day" for august since it is like you said: Devoid of holidays. So we celebrate Augustus Day ever August 15th with a big barbeque, back yard football, music and the guys usually drink copious amounts of alcohol. The rest of us just enjoy having the neighbors over and a barbeque! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

newmomma327
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Tabatha
Michigan
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

One of my friends created a holiday called "Augustus Day" for august since it is like you said: Devoid of holidays. So we celebrate Augustus Day ever August 15th with a big barbeque, back yard football, music and the guys usually drink copious amounts of alcohol. The rest of us just enjoy having the neighbors over and a barbeque! LOL

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't take credit for it though! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  8:47:42 PM  Show Profile
My wedding anniversary is in Aug so we try to go to Mendocino which is on the coast (we also were married there) and spend a few cool days.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  9:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cheryl..Mendocino is such a pretty place. I was there when my oldest son lived in Ft. Bragg about 8 years ago...loved it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  11:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jennifer, enjoy the Columbia River Gorge and the hikes. I use to hike there at least once every 2 weeks when we lived up in Kelso/Longview. I loved it. Hiked Ponytail Falls a lot.
August is hanging out in the air conditioning, enjoying the flowers, and panicing cause you realize fall is almost here and those projects aren't done!!!!!
Labor DAy was our last hoorah for the summer ususally camping in the Cascades.
Haven't done in the last few years. That is where we would go Huckleberry picking minus the bears Michelle, Huckleberry Wine. Just ask her about her adventure!!!!
Now we ususally bbq and have a good class of wine.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile
August is picking maters month. It is also a month to sit in the shade with some iced tea. Too hot here to do much else.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Carol,

I've never been to that area and I'm really looking forward to it. It's actually a dual trip - vacation and scouting property. My sis and I have been talking about places to retire, other than CA. So expensive. OR, WA and ID are on my list and we have decided to try and take a few long weekend trips a year to scout possible areas.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic August/End of Summer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page