Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Any one else doing Edible Landscaping?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any one else doing Edible Landscaping? Next Topic  

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  11:35:06 AM  Show Profile
I searched all to forums but could not find anything on this.

I live in the city and am gradually turning my backyard into an edible landscape.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I have a basic, slowly evolving plan but would love some input....

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  11:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, please share some of your ideas!! Sounds like a great idea!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  1:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda,
I don't know how much yard or property you have but even a small well lit yard can be turned into a harvest of all sorts. I would also be interrested in what you already have planned. My property is 5 acres so i have a lot to work with. A lot of it is wooded but the parts that are not are all either flowers or food crops.
I have blueberries, raspberries,strawberries,plums,blackberries(wild)Apples,pie cherries. I have chickens in small chicken tractors that are moveable. Some of my gardens are raised chinese style that I use to grow annual vegies. These gardens are nice because once you have created them you never have to plow or till again, you just clean them up in the fall and prepare them for the spring planting rotating the crops from one bed to the next as the years progress. I am going to try placing one of my chicken tractors on each one for 3 weeks each this fall to do a little fertilising and scratching up the weed seeds and bugs. It is supposed to work very well. The raised beds get warm earlier in the spring so I can plant sooner. I also raise herbs in among my perrenials and use them medicinally as well as for cooking. All my flower, vegie and fruit areas are organic so no problem with the chemicals getting into my herbs. I have sage, thyme,7 varieties of lavender,chives,rosemary, Parsley, onions and garlic.Comfrey,wild roses for the flowers and the hips,nettles and mints of various varieties. I also include plants for the wild life food sources such as snow berry,salal, service berry red osier dogwood,thimble berry,and barberry.
We are in process of getting an area ready to become our orchard but will have to fence it to keep any of the fruit as we also have Elk and deer and the ocasional bear who forage all over our property for food.
Happy planning!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  01:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Nasturtiums are very pretty and also tasty and pretty in a salad. They are great in window boxes and you should stagger planting of the seeds as they tend to "wear out" and need replacing.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  08:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I plant tomatoes in planters. The nice yellow blossoms and the red fruit make a great landscaping item. Also zuchinni (sp?) can be great ground cover with the pretty fruit growing quickly. there are TONS of squashes out there that would lend splashes of color in the beds. I think at www.stretcher.com there may be a few more ideas if you search for gardens

Ciao
Alee
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  08:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone

I just started on this project this year. Tearing out the previous owner's landscaping has been a challenge since it involves digging up trees and shrubs.

Here's what's happening so far. I have a large rectangular yard of about 3 acres. The East side already has a privacy fence. This is where I had to do the most work to reclaim the space. There is one nasty, smelly weed/tree that I cannot seem to kill no matter what I do and I think it's roots extend to somewhere in China. I need to take some of the leaves to the local Extension Office and find out what to do. I want to put terraced raised beds on this side, on the Southern half, near the house, for herbs and root veggies. I did manage to grow onions, shallots, garlic, and chives there this year.

The North and West sides of the yard have an ugly chain link fence. I was going to put in a cedar privacy fence but I was looking at an investment of around 4K! Then I got the idea of putting in a Blueberry Hedge instead. I researched and found a nursery who will supply me with 8 each of 3 different Blueberries (24 bushes total) that will grow in this zone and provide berries all summer long. They grow to between 6 and 10 feet and the bird netting is part of the deal. I will be getting them next spring and the cost for my privacy hedge: under $200.00

I planted a "self fruiting" dwarf cherry in the Northwest corner and a peach in the Northeast corner. I then put up a trellis a little in front of the peach and moved the black raspberries that had started growing on the East side (a gift of some bird ) to the trellis. This provides a screen for tall but not so attractive vegetables like bell peppers and tomatoes.

Next year I want to use the espalier method to start growing apples along the Northern half of the East side.

I envision having a small "lawn" area near the center for lounge chairs and a small table. I will probably plant herb borders liberally. I AM trying to figure out where to put the cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, and pumkins. I am considering growing Munchkin pumkins on a trellis in front of the cherry tree but it could end up looking really bizarre!

Still open to lots of ideas....

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any one else doing Edible Landscaping? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page