Page: of 13

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile
I use 1 cup of each and 1/2 cup of baking soda, but I put the baking soda right in the mixture and yep, use 1-2 or 3 TBSP depending on my load size. I also use peroxide for things needing bleaching and vinegar for the softener...Maybe the bit of extra makes the difference? how old is your washer?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bump

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  01:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Do you use the recipe made in a five-gallon bucket?
Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  06:49:24 AM  Show Profile
I have been using Cold Water Tide. I like the fact that I don't have to have the expense of not heating the water. Will it work in cold water.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just make the powder version and yes I think it does great in cold water. I just put it in and it washes great. I never have left over powder on my clothes. However, if you are worried about it dissolving- you could always dissolve it right before washing in a cup of hot water from the tap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile
I just made my first batch of lavender scented powdered soap using Aunt Jenny's recipe - I am so excited about it!

I guess I was lucky, I was able to find the Arm & Hammer washing soda and FelsNaptha at the local grocery store (Hannaford, a New England chain). Though I might try a castille soap the next bacth, the FelsNaptha has a funky smell I wasn't crazy about so I was genenerous with the esssential oil drops.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  07:26:29 AM  Show Profile
For a long time I have used Coldwater Tide. Went to buy some and now they only have Tide Ultra Concentrate. I developed a bad rash and thinking back on what could have caused it I narrowed it down the new Tide Concentrate. Even found postings on the Tide website where other people have the same rash, some so severe they were hospitalized! So I made up some homemade laundry soap. My question is, does it suds up? I seem to have no suds. Is this normal. JoAnn P.S. I used Zote for the bar of soap
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  07:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Nope, it most likely won't suds up. Glad you didn't have a more severe reaction to the Tide, that's scary that something like that would effect people so badly.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi JoAnn-

Mine never has suds. The commercial detergent actually adds something to make a few suds so people know the water is "soapy". It's amazing some of the "extras" that get put into commercial products, just because they have convinced people that it needs to look a certain way- even if performance isn't impacted. Another thing that blows my mind is that oranges are actually sprayed with a dye!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I've been making the powdered version for quite a while. I decided the other day to make the gelled type and I absolutly love it. It's a snap to make and I just poured it into one of those plastic containers cat litter comes it. I first mixed it all in an enamled canning pot I have.
I used an entire bar of grated Zote, 1/2 c each borax and washing soda and the water required in the recipe. It gelled pretty fast. I love it because it simple just melts into the wash water.. easy breezy. I'll be making this one forever, lol.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  9:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Been using grated Ivory soap and washing soda for several years now. I only use a couple of teaspoons for a medium load.

I can't use detergents and soaps with fragrances because I have asthma and my husband said the "free and clear" laundry detergents weren't getting the sweat smells out of his shirts. So I tried this powder and never had another complaint. The whole family loves it and it's easy and economical. Borax and washing soda are similar mineral derivatives so really one is enough.

Don't wash silks or wool with washing soda or borax though.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  10:26:47 PM  Show Profile
can someone share the recipe for the gelled version of the laundry soap again? since I use only liquid detergent in my washing machine that I'd prefer the gelled version/liquid version better. As I was told by several plumbers with the companies like roto rooter and so forth..that powdered detergents can be rough on the septic systems especially if there is ever any grease particles that mistakenly get down the drain from the kitchen..it can all bind together in the septic system and cause big hard rock type clumps...I have seen this happen and it is gross..the soap binds up almost like concrete.this happened to our septic system the very day after we bought our house..the commodes and everything backed up when we went to use them..talk about a nice surprise...not!!..and when we called roto rooter to come help ...lo and behold they had to power jet things out with the big machine..whatever it is called..and sitting on the ground next to the septic outlets was this huge white clump of stuff that looked like rocks..I asked the guys what it was and they said "it is laundry powder that has bound up with grease particles in the pipes..that's what caused the line to clog up. We see this all the time, we'd recommend that you always use liquid detergent in your washing machines."
So anyhow...I would like to be able to make my own laundry soap to save money..but it has to be a gel/liquid type for me to feel comfy in trying this method.
Thanks in advance.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tina:
It is 1/3 cup powdered washing soda and 1/3 cup borax and 1/3 of a bar of grated soap. Use a 2 gallon bucket with lid. Dissolve the grated soap in a few cups of boiling hot water and pour into bucket. Let that sit a few hours until it is sort of jellyish...then add the borax and washing soda (divided evenly if you use two containers) and slowly add warm water to mostly fill the jugs. Stir well and use about a cup per load. You will need to stir before each use. Alternatively, you can reduce the water by about 2/3 and it should stay pretty "jelled" and you wouldn't have to stir each time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  2:36:25 PM  Show Profile
thanks Alee.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is another way to make our own laundry soap:
http://natural-products.suite101.com/article.cfm/washing_clothes_for_pennies

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I used my homemade laundry detergent for the first time today!! LOVE IT! I'm hooked!! It was so easy to make and inexpensive. My clothes came out clean and smelling fresh! Thank you girls so much for sharing this with me! I am a girl changed!! One more girl not tricked by mainstream ideals! LOVE IT!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  8:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay! It really is great! I am so glad you love it, Jessica! I don't think there really is anyway to go wrong with this stuff!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  05:17:50 AM  Show Profile
I have made my own stuff for quite a while I started with the fels naptha gel type and now I use one part borax to two parts baking soda. Thats all. I mix it in a bucket and the clothes come out clean and smelling great. The soap powder or flakes are used if you want suds. I don't really see a difference between using them and not. I do use vinegar in the rinse sometimes.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  10:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Denise--would your recipe work on DH's work clothes? He works with a lot of oil. I thought the Fels Naptha was good for that. I think I may try castille soap this time around. I'm a total fan of using vinegar as a rinse though!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  7:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't use anything but the borax/baking soda on my dh's clothes for work and there is always lots of grease and oil. It really cuts it and the baking soda deodorizes too so they smell good.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile
That would be a lot easier. Not that i mind hand grating the soap. But time is precious. Thanks for the tip.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Pennypincher
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Linda
NC
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:03:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to the boards, and also new to homemade laudry detergent, but I have my first load in washing nowwent to our local Piggly Wiggly and they had the three things I needed.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Linda! I bet you will love it! Welcome to the forum! I love your nick name! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Today I went to our JayC because it was the closest grocery store to where I was. Even though JayC is usually more expensive, I bought Borax, Washing Soda, Baking Soda, Ivory soap, and a large jug of white vinegar for around $10.00. Pretty good considering this homemade laundry soap should last months! :o)
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  10:49:59 AM  Show Profile
I have a "piggy wiggy" up the road and will get the ingredients soon. I have store stuff in stock right now so I'll use that up first but look forward to keeping it cheap, green and easy.
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade Laundry Detergent Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page