True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shari-

No the vinegar doesn't neutralize the scent. How strong of a scent you have depends on how much you use though.

I made up a batch of laundry soap, but I decided to just do baking soda and soap and it is working amazing and my clothes have been nice and fluffy. Everything is coming out clean and smells good. I am going to try this for a while.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  4:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting me know about the vinegar, Alee. I know it sounded like a dumb question but I wanted to know. I've only made one batch of soap and it was without scent. I wanted to try a vanilla/ lavender scent on my next batch, but thought if the vinegar took the scent out then why even bother to pay for the FO.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The scent that you put into your soap really won't be transfered to you clothes much if at all- remember most if not all of the soap gets rinsed away. You can put essential oil in with you vinegar in the rinse though if you want to scent you clothes.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Now have my daughter excited about making home made laundry soap. She is suddenly "going green" and wants everything natural. She and her family are coming down during the Labor Day weekend, so told her I'd make her up a batch of the gel and the powder and then give her the recipes for each to make on her own. Told her that it takes a little effort to make, but it lasts a long time and costs pennies to make. She can't wait to get here.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  7:13:42 PM  Show Profile
How much and what type of vinegar do you add to the rinse cycle? Thanks
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I just use plain old white vinager, the cheap brand and use about 1/2 cup for a load of wash.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/

Edited by - Trace on Aug 13 2007 8:22:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  8:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just use the cheapest white vinegar and fill it up to the the line in our fabric softener dispenser. We have one in that sits in the agitator column in the washer.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  06:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Reading the posts, this has me excited to make my own.
The brand I used to use changed it scent and we hate it.
I'm on vacation this week, so I think I'll make a batch.
Can I use my own home made soap in it?
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I just use cheap vinegar too and fill it up to the line in the dispensor. I've got one of those HE front load models and it works great.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen-

If you make your own soap you can use it, but if it has a high remainder fat content or superfat content then it might leave some residue on your clothes. I usually make 100% conversion soap if I put my own in the laundry.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Alee - what is 100% conversion soap?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When you make soap you usually calibrate the lye so that when all of the saponification is done you have about 12% fat left in the soap so isn't hard on your hands and such and also as a safty buffer in case you measured your lye wrong. Some people also do what is called "superfat" where after the saponification is done they add another small amount of oil like jojoba oil as a moisturizing agent.

So a 100% conversion soap would be calibrated to saponify 100% or in other words turn all the fat and oils to soap instead of leaving that buffer.

That way you wouldn't have extra fat to wash out of your clothes.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:22:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee,
My soap is superfatted to 10-12% so I will make a batch that is 100%.
Thanks for the tip
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  5:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls. I am going to try homemaking my laundry soap (because of the irritation that the current soap or the softener is giving me- another thread!) but today at Walmart I could only find Borax- no washing powders or water softener (from Jenny's recipe for dry detergent). I looked for the soap flakes that someone else mentioned, but didn't find them either (and didn't know to look for the castile soap in the body soap aisle versus the detergent aisle. Anyway, I'm going to try my local chain grocery. Should I be able to find it there, do you think?

Thanks-
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  5:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Castile soap is usually with the body soap...but sometimes..you never know..it is near the laundry stuff. Every store is different. Good luck!! I have never bought the flakes. Usually the Washing Soday is right by the borax or things like BIZ on the laundry shelf..usually way up on top in most stores. I don't think the water softener would be as important as the washing soda.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  5:50:58 PM  Show Profile
If you can't find the AH Super Washing Soda, you can order it on-line from Soaps Gone By. That's what I had to do cause I couldn't find it anywhere around here. But my DD is bringing me 6 boxes from Fargo when she comes down this next weekend.

Also, if you wanted a little scent added to your clothes, I read that if you put regular hair conditoner on a damp hand towel and put it in the dryer you get just a nice, not over powering scent in your clothes. Tried it and it worked, but I just use the vinegar in the final rinse.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  05:21:19 AM  Show Profile
JUst a thought, but I could not find washing soda around here either. I asked at a small grocery store, and they ordered me a case. I took the whole case, and am on my second box, so glad I did. I really like making and using this laundry soap. Thanks to the girls who posted the recipe. Michele
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  10:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello all, I was doing research on the internet and I found out that Arm and Hammer makes washing soda (sodium carbonate,or soda ash), do not confuse it with baking soda (sodium bi-carbonate) the two will not inter change (different results) but if you can not find washing soda, soda ash is used to change the ph in swimming pools and can be found in those type of stores. Soda ash is more pure so you might not have to use as much. I was going to try soda ash because I could not find washing soda but low and behold the last place (always the case) I looked (Winco food store) carried both Fels Naptha and washing soda. I just made a batch of both dry and gel formula today and I may have heated the gel too long because it foamed up and over my pan--although the stove looks nice and clean now! I hope this helps, you may want to do a little more research on soda ash here is one http://www.ima-na.org/about_industrial_minerals/soda_ash.asp

Camille

www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/14088
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of laundry detergent and love it! Thank you ladies for all your help.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  07:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Walmart generally only carries Borax. I find Kirk's Castille soap and washing soda at the grocery store.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile
I have trie the home made powder and the vinegar rinse and love both! My question in what about static in the winter? Does the vinegar take care of that too?

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  08:31:06 AM  Show Profile
I never have an issue in the Wintertime...I use vinegar so maybe that's why.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Still can't find the washing powders. I've been to WalMart (where they have baking soda sitting next to the Borax), Bi-Lo, Ingles, Food Lion (all major regional groceries), and Bloom- nothing! I'm going to try a natural market store this weekend.

I can buy it at soaps gone buy (thanks to whoever suggested that) but it costs more to ship it than to buy it (almost $5 shipping). I haven't decided that it's worth it or not.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You may find it at older out of the way types of stores too. I find it at Krogers here, don't know if you have that grocery or not. Good luck! You can ask your local store if they may consider carrying it too. Krogers carries Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent but not SG handwashing, so I put in my request. I'm still waiting to hear on it.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade Laundry Detergent Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page