Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 This may sound weird to you kids, but
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic This may sound weird to you kids, but Next Topic  

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile
maybe it'll ring some bells for us geezers (I'm 61)

Has anyone noticed things don't taste the same anymore? Do you lose taste buds or something after 60? Things I used to love don't have any appeal for me anymore and some things make me sick just thinking about them (like meat). I used to be a carnevor but now can't stand thinking about meat. When Stuie cooks it, I want to leave the house because of the smell.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is experienceing this and if there's any reason for it. I know we don't eat as much as we age (I remember my Mom and Dad talking about eating pasta when they were young and how they didn't eat anywhere near as much as they got older.) And I've noticed that I eat about half of what I used to. (Nice side effect, I've lost 25 pounds).

Thanks for the input.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Well.. i'mm thinking that our taste buds probably DO change in time.. maybe not JUST because we are getting older..
( uh hum!! We aren't geezer's just yet sister!!)

Because i can remember being younger.. i mean like 5 or 6 & absolutley HATING a certain food.. & then maybe a few years later liking it.. or even LOVING it.. & also.. Maybe a food that i LOVED at 10 or 12.. i know that in my twenties.. i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole! Because i thought it was just Foul!!
I think our Taste Buds change.. but just because they do.. Not because we are getting OLD..

BUT!!!

I think something else is happening too!! Here it comes.. Something about this tastes a bit like a conspiracy theory.. but here it goes..
I think , although they keep the same names on products.. They change the ingedients of things IN THAT package.. Thus changing the taste!
For instance.. i have eaten Captain Crunch ceral my entire life.. Since i was in 1st Grade..
I remember the day Our Mail Man, Spesh brought this brightly colored box to our house!! WOW!! Sugared Cereal!! & Was i hooked!
& I attacked Spesh the next day too!!
So.. he brought me MORE boxes that they had down at the Post Office!
From there on in.. i was a Captain Crunch Kid!! So i KNEW what it should be tasting like.. & i could tell the subtle changes they trieded to slide in.. & not just when they added the Peanut Butter flavored.. Or the Crunch Berries.. this was much more serious.. They were tampering with the real thing!! They HAVE done something to my Original Captain Crunch Ceareal!
& it has NOTHING at all to do with my Changing Taste Buds!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  11:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree!! My stomach doesn't want half the stuff it used to. I don't even like a lot of things anymore that I used to like. It seemed to have happened almost over night. Now its one piece of pizza instead of three. It seems eggs no longer agree with me, and I do miss that, because I love eggs and toast. This list goes on and on. My aunt who is 92 has never had this problem, she can and does eat anything, she has an iron stomach! She thinks I'am way to fussy, but I try and tell her that so many things don't agree with me, she thinks its in my head. We should all be as lucky as Aunt Glenda, I sure miss a lot of my favorites, but like you said it keeps the weight down. Nothing like a good bowl of cereal, yea right.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I am 36 & I agree with you it has nothing to do with age. So much in the store (if you are not lucky enough to have a garden, or one that agrees with you) has a different taste. I just told some friends at work how I used to love tomatoes. My gram used to buy them & I would slice them & sprinkle salt on them (of course I salted everything, even watermelon & apples, not anymore though,doesnt taste the same). They were so good. Now I can barely stand to eat them. That was until those same friends brought me some from their thriving gardens. I think your tastes do change too. I used to be able to eat all kinds of candy & sweets in general. Not anymore, a little goes a long way with me. Boy you think I could lose a few lbs. like that. I guess I must have replaced those with something else.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile
I never feel loss of appetite. I am just like your 92 yr old aunt. Even if I'm sick or queasy or whatever I eat. I will eat anything at any time of day, doesn't matter. I will eat anything for breakfast. I'm not a huge person, but I am happy eating deep fried, refried, healthy, foods, bland foods, rich foods, whatever. My Chinese neighbors do give me some challenges. I guess I do have my limits. Some of the things they make are awesome, some other things however, not so appealing to me. : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  8:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I used to work in a nursing home (not that I'm saying your that old, Patricia!) and most of the residents hardly ate anything. It was like pulling teeth to get them to eat. They taught us that older people's tastebuds don't work as well as young people's, so they need more seasoning. Especially sugar. Most people would at least eat dessert and fruit, at lot of people would only eat dessert and fruit. There was a 101 year old lady that put sugar (and lots of it) on everything, including in her soup.
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  08:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
lately i can rarely drink a soda or glass of sweet tea... its too sweet... i can't stand the taste it leaves in my mouth. this is great for me since i've always struggled to drink as much water as i think i should...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, seems that's the way of life - CHANGE. Taste buds, tummys,etc...I think even my teeth have shifted, food gets stuck that didn't use to and they're all mine!! Right there with you on the meat. At 51 I am noticing changes constantly and I'm thinking hormones or lack of, may play a big part too!

Kathie, I would agree with you 100% about packaged food!!! Seems they've added more chemicals and less of the "real thing". Am always disappointed when I buy an old favorite from childhood or high school days. As a matter of fact, bought a "moon pie" just the other day, took a bite and had to spit it out. The dog enjoyed it tho'. (I know! Wasn't good for her either.)

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  09:52:05 AM  Show Profile
honey .. i can still tell the taste of YUMMY and YUCKY .. and i've got a few years on you!

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
when i was young, i was strictly a meat and potatoes girl.
no veggies, so sweets, i didnt like chocolate.
i have noticied lately that things all taste the same to me. or that i have trouble telling the different taste.
unfortunately, now that my metabolism has slowed down, due to graves disease and aging. i have discovered and LOVE alot of the foods that i should probably be giving up at this point in my life, life sweets, and CHOCOLATE
i think this is just more evidence in the column for "why we think omie is dyslexic".
or as my mom used to say, "I think that is the way they do things on fran's planet"
oh well, i think i'm gonna go have a hot fudge sundae.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
well I am just oh 58 days shy of 40 so I don't think I classify as a geezer yet....but meats totally turn off my taste buds these days. It smells foul when I cook it. The only other time I expereinced this problem was when I was pregnant and we won't go there! I am not. lol

But I have read that every 7 years our taste buds change.

I love spicy and have never wanted to touch the stuff!

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile
I've been noticing the same thing. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Sweet and salty are the current big turn offs.

But, I was sort of attributing it to the over hybirdizing of food to the point that its lost most of its taste not to mentions its nutrtional value.

Maybe its a combination of the two.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Hormones do have an affect on taste buds I have read somewhere. I had a brain injury some years ago and lost almost all my sense of smell so for the logest time I could barely taste food. It is better now but some things don't taste like they did years ago. I also believe that food grown close to home taste better and meat pre- packed in the case has salt and carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in it. So it is a wonder we can taste at all.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic This may sound weird to you kids, but Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page