Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What is your favorite barnyard buddy- or favorite species?

My favorite buddy is my Sky-Dog of course :) She is such a good girl. I couldn't ask for a better dog!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile
For me, it's usually been the dog, or my favorite cat. But once I get some actual animals on the farm, it may change... (Not!)

There's just something completely appealing about unconditional love and loyalty.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  11:25:50 AM  Show Profile
My favorite Bard Yard Buddy of all times HAS to be my old horse that I had for YEARS!!
He was a Buckskin colored Bashkir Curly.. His name was Sampson.. & when he finally said Good bye to me he was about 38 years old..
He smelled of old Grapes & loved a bath.. Followed me around like a stubborn old cat wanting to be scratched all the time..
He had decided about 8 years before he died that he was no longer going to tolerate any kind of Girth OR a Saddle on his back.. & anyone that was foolish enough to try to put one on his back was just to find out how easy it was for him to bust that girth!
If he decided you were going to ride him.. it was going to be bareback only.. & at Sam's Speed now.. Which was Slow Mo.. Because he decided in his Sr. Years just how lovely it was to Stop & Smell the Roses .. & the oranges.. & the trees.. & the cows .. & just about anything else that he decided he wanted to check out along the way!

In his Younger years though.. Wow.. What a Tremendous Horse!
Did he love to watch a Cow! & it never occured to him that just because his feet were twice the size as everyone else he wasn't supposed be faster then all of them!!
He was always on that Calf first!

What a Baby Boy I had in My Sampson..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  11:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
I don't have a favorite "barnyard" pet because they have all been special to me!

Velvet, my Thoroughbred mare, was wonderful because was my first horse. My husband and I learned so much from her ( we went through 2 surgeries with her) and I am lucky to have had a chance to work with her.

Duck Duck... well what more can I say about her? Bless her sweet little heart!

Jake the Drake? Hopefully he is spunky, loving and QUIET! I hope he is all I have been wishing for.

Married to my hubby & the Army, my Siamese, Jake the Drake and my birdies!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  12:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Mona for sure..I have had a lot of favorites over the years (Clara..my first milk goat was as sweet as pie, Gideon..an angora goat wether that was just as funny and spoiled as my angora pearl is now, Buttercup, my first angora rabbit, Reba the pot belly pig that destroyed everything in her path..but was so sweet it was hard to resist her) But Mona is so special..my dream cow and I am so lucky to have her!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 27 2007 12:49:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  1:38:20 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is my dog-my buddy Zena.

She was picked up by the animal control officer at the local fairground after the fair left town. She was about two years old. Turns out she was also pregnant. She had the puppies at the animal shelter, and everyone got adopted. Five years later, the people who adopted her got divorced, and brought her back the shelter. Because she was a 100 pound, seven year old, pit-bull/labrador mix (they think), nobody wanted her. She stayed there for two years. I went there 6 months after my first dog passed on to help out on the weekends walking the dogs.

I absolutely fell in love with her. She is sweet, gentle, great with kids and other dogs, and oh so grateful to come home with me. She is an absolute joy-12 years old now and doing great!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile
GREAT picture of Mona miz jenny! CABIN and CREEK .. our two olde english sheepdogs .. are our ONLY and of course, most favoritest 'critters' here at Cabin Creek Farm!!! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  1:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Just like aunt Jenny I have had many favorites over the years--Sundust, my first horse, we spent all waking hours together until he decided it was time to go to the great pasture in the sky. All the dogs that have moved through this place and are buried here too. Specially Tequila, my Staffie, a beautiful brindle who was the sweetest ever dog--Now it is my two minis, Tuffy and Bucky. They outgrew mini-status, so at 38 and 40 inches are too tall but just right for me to play with. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  8:34:02 PM  Show Profile
I could make an argument for any of my animals being my favorite. I could never pick a favorite among my dogs or cats. My two favorite goats are Nellie and Noah. They were bottle babies, so they follow me around everywhere. Nellie has actually jumped up on my shoulders when I was sitting down. They are more like dogs than goats. You can take them for a walk without a lead and they just follow. Stetson is my favorite horse because he is the friendliest. He likes to nip me in the butt if I bend over around him. I have seen the goats jump off things onto his back, and he never even flinched. My big Rhode Island Red rooster is one of my favorites because he chases my mean little bantam cochin roosters away when they start picking on me. My lone silver spangled hamburg hen is one of my favorites too, because she's so tough. All the chicken hate her, so she is at the bottom of the pecking order. She got loose and got taken by my dogs and they ripped a big hole in her skin on her back before I got home, and she's fine. She always follows me because she knows I will give her some grain away from everyone else. I have tons of animals that have passed on that were wonderful- Link, my Sheltie; Claire, collie mix; Lucie, Shih Tzu; Snickers, beagle; my cats Dorsey, Clover, Ashen, Curly I, and Kittikins.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  10:20:55 PM  Show Profile
right now my favorite is my Daffy duck.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at: