Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 currant jelly with MJ's chillover powder?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic currant jelly with MJ's chillover powder? Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried anything like this? I have a TON of currants that grow wild here and have about 6 cups worth stemmed and ready to do something with. I have made 2 pies and scones already, and I thought Jelly would be a good idea. I have a packet of the powder in the cupboard, but my MJ's book and magazines are all in storage so I need a refresher on what I need to do to make this.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  8:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bobbi, How are you over there in Montana? I still remember your little darling dancing on our hay bales.

I had a recipe in my book for using apple juice to make a dessert. I don't know why some version of it wouldn't work for any kind of jelly. Here 'tis:

Apple of My Eye

2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 packet (1 teaspoon) ChillOver Powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins

1. Blend together 1 cup apple juice and the sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, sprinkle and stir ChillOver Powder into liquid, and cook for 3 minutes. stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
2. Add the remaining 1 cup apple juice, the cinnamon, walnuts, and raisins, and blend.
3. Spoon into 4 small dessert dishes or 4-ounce canning jars.

At this point, you'd process it in a water bath canner for jelly. My mother sometimes added chunks of pineapple and walnuts to her apricot jam. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  8:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Boy..that sounds good!! I will have to make some soon, too!! Let us know how the currant jelly turns out Bobbi!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  09:58:39 AM  Show Profile

Aha! Thank you so much. I'm going to do this today and I'll let you know how it turns out.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile
The jelly has been processed. I should have sold tickets to that spectacle. My canning tongs are still in storage so I had to fish them out of the pot with a spatula and a bowl, it goes without saying that it was pretty awkward. The girls were laughing their little heads off each time I lost the jar and sent it back into the water. Nothing like jelly and a show!

The way I did this was, I followed the recipe above, but used currants in place of golden raisins. I used a lot more of them than it asked for in raisins but I have them coming out of my ears around here. I put the walnuts in there for texture as well. My last little lid just sucked down. I just need to wait for it to cool down and jell before I go and open them. It smells awesome in here though so I can't wait to sample it.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:35:23 AM  Show Profile
We had it on toast this morning and it came out really tasty. Not really apple not really currant.. the flavors mixed to have a tangy fresh taste. It jelled up beautifully. It's very light instead of that hard gooey texture that you sometimes get with gelatin.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi- That sounds delicious!! You'll have to post a picture of your completed jelly for us to admire! :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok here is a picture of the jam, as you can see I didn't smush the currants up, but when you spread them with a knife they smush by themselves. The dark spots are rogue wild blueberries that ended up in with the currants, and the other chunks are the walnuts, sorry about the crumbs on the stovetop.

This is one of the pies, the other one and the scones are long gone. This is a peach/currant pie.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Yummy, yummy for the tummy!! It looks delicious! I'm surprised there was pie left to photograph!! There wouldn't have been at my house. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  4:11:15 PM  Show Profile
That looks so good! I'll have to give it a try. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic currant jelly with MJ's chillover powder? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page