Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Look what we are checking out this afternoon!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Look what we are checking out this afternoon! Next Topic  

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile
I found this listing last night... It is in a great area, not too far from our church or my husband's work and it has land! hooray hooray. Unfortunately there weren't any pictures so I'll have to just go to the appointment and see what it's like. But doesn't it sound interesting? There are 4 bedrooms and 2 baths...

SQFT: 2200
Year Built: 1905
Lot Size: 5.25 Acres
Fireplace: 2 Views: Yes
Roof: Metal
Heat: Stove/Free Stdg
Fuel: Wood

Turn of the century farm house! A true diamond in the rough. Nestled in a lush valley not far from the Deschutes River and the Chehalis western trail. House is in the original condition but has some charming features; huge second floor deck, large rooms, attached workshop and some new features; metal roof, hot tub and a new bathroom(behind the secret wall). Recently sub-divided off of the original 50 acre farm. A rare opportunity!

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  3:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
A secret wall? That sounds cool! How many acres is it since it has been subdivided off?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  5:21:08 PM  Show Profile
How exciting! It does sound very interesting!!
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  09:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow thay sounds great!!

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  10:35:57 AM  Show Profile
hey Lizabeth,
Sounds interesting, since I live in Washington, where is this by out of curiosity. Let us know how it goes.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  4:11:53 PM  Show Profile
kewl

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Did you check it out and how did it go? We washingtonians are really curious!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, it was a roller coaster experience. As we drove to the property and got closer and closer we realized it was a house we had seen from a distance a couple years ago when riding a certain section of a bicycle trail. I was so excited! To think that a house we'd talked about could actually be the one for sale. And on a trail that my husband uses to commute by bike each day to work.
But as we got up to the house it was a complete disappointment. My husband and I were expecting a farmhouse, meaning a midwest style proverbial farmhouse. Not at all what we encountered. This was either an out building converted to a residence or a longsuffering house that had endured tactless additions. The foundation was crumbling, inside the building was sagging, there was exposed sheet rock, the upstairs rooms were stuffed with antiques and junk and dirt. The only redeeming room was outside and had a hot tub :)
The house would have to be demolished... and believe me we are people who are passionate for conservation/restoration but there is NOTHING to work with in this structure.
And then we walked the property and it has been divided in a strange way... very skinny long pieces so the adjacent property's driveway is only 30 feet from the "house" site. eww.
Our realtor is concerned that since this was at one time it was a working farm there could be pesticides like DDT buried on the property and even leaching into the private well.
The only way I would see this working is if we were able to purchase both 5 acre parcels, and then did a lot of work researching the costs for either ensuring the safety of the well or having a new one sunk, the costs of bulldozing and dumping the structure on and on and on the costs would go.
So unfortunately I don't think this one is for us. I am quite sad. I really wanted this to work out.
I'll just have to be patient and keep waiting. And I'll certainly be watching the paper to see if they will be having a sale for any of the antiques (dressers, tables, lamps...)

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  6:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Could you make an offer on just the antiques? LOL

I am so sorry that it turned out to be so disappointing. I don't know how many times that has happened to me- where I think that a certain house is really cool looking from a distance, but up close it not so much. How sad that they divided the land so weird and chemicals like DDT might be lurking around! Scary!

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jul 20 2007 6:19:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  6:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes, and with an 18 mo it's not a chance we are willing to take.

I did think about driving out there again and talking to the people next door, I think they are of the same family, and seeing whether I couldn't purchase some of the pieces. hmm.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If they are good antiques it would be worth a shot! I wouldn't mess around with land that might have DDT residue in it either- especially not with babies who can and do put anything in their mouths. DDT was such a horrible chemical. I am glad it is banned now, but I wonder how many generations are going to have to deal with the side effects!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  2:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Sorry it didn't work out - I know how disappointing house hunting can be. Out of curiosity - where was that place? It has to be somewhere around Tumwater - right?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sorry it didn't work out for you, Lizabeth. But don't give up on the antiques inside.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  07:09:21 AM  Show Profile
My heart breaks for you, but keep the faith! The right place is out there for you!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Look what we are checking out this afternoon! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page