Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  11:37:33 AM  Show Profile
My husband went for a walk in the woods and he said he ate a handful of huckleberries. In a couple of weeks they should be ripe at our "secret" spot which is at a higher elevation. JoAnn

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  4:42:27 PM  Show Profile
HEY! Funny you should mention this. I recently discovered our own little patch too! On our 13 acres, half of this is woods. We have one wild blueberry bush. And just the other day I noticed these small, little plants with tiny mini blueberries! I guess those are huckleberries? Sure are good!

The patch I doscovered isn't quite big enough to fill a pie, but would make a nice contrast to the blueberries and blackberries.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  5:25:15 PM  Show Profile
***grin***

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  5:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My father-in-law to be says he knows of a wonderful place to go huckleberry picking- but it is about 5 hours from my house and you have to ride a ferry to get there! I am not so sure that is feasible this year- but maybe next year!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  9:40:57 PM  Show Profile
I really really want to go huckleberry and blueberry picking but have absolutley no idea where to do it around here.
Michele, have any suggetions or a trip I can take with you?
I know where to go in Western Washington cause I lived there most of my life, drive up White Pass, go into Packwood, make a left before you head out of town and up into the Skatecreek Forest, and it is a ways up there.
One year my brother thought he was being so funny, it was when Lavender Fields Dreamer was about 9 with her cousins. We were picking away and my brother comes running over the hill yelling bear. Scared the pee whoop diddle out of us, trying to gather up the kids and make sure every one was safe. Then he started laughing. Oh did he get it.....
let me know.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Topic of conversation around our table last night was making pie crusts from rendered bear lard. Not me. Those that have had it though say it makes the best crust. I guess more for them. Carol Sue, I'll get back to you on places you might go searching. Most huckleberry spots are secret, since they are so small. May not be very farmgirl of me to keep my secret, but I can pass on information about where you can go looking. :) I'll e-mail you. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wonder how easy it is to grow huckleberries in my garden...

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  1:39:08 PM  Show Profile
My fingers are purple, no I don't have some terrible disease--just got back from picking huckleberries. Jim and I had a great time. Lots of huckleberries, perfect temperature, beautiful view of the Kettle River range and the Columbia River (Lake Roosevelt) to the west, another mountain range to the east. Throw in the laughter of some cute kids picking with they're grandma and grandpa.The huckleberries were thick but you sure have to pick a lot to get a huge number. Unlike blueberries that can grow in clusters, huckleberries grow singlely. We got about 5 quarts and shall go again since it's so close to us.
Alee, to answer your question about growing them in your garden to my knowledge they haven't been domesticated and peoples attempts to transplant them to their gardens have failed. First they need a higher elevation to grow among other unknown factors.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  1:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that makes me jealous! My grandma lived in McCall ID. and she was a huckleberry picking machine!! I can't even begin to tell you all the things she made with those little beauties! Such fun memories of hiking around with her!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn, we've got matching fingers. Grin.
Alee, there's a place in Tekoa called Plants of the Wild, they sell huckleberry starts, but note that they are notoriously hard to transplant. My great grandmother told me they just won't grow the same at home no matter what you do, even if you transplant the whole hillside. I haven't tried it, but for $1 per start, it's worth a try. Should be interesting anyway. I've seen them growing at the 2100 elevation...seem to like elk droppings, or elk like the bushes. Maybe it's the temperature and snowpack? Now there would be a crop! Huckleberry farmin'

update...went to my favorite huckleberry patch, and a bear had moved in! I didn't know it until I heardsniff sniff sniff. Sounded like a horse sniffing a bucket for the last oats. I didn't want to be the last oats, so I ran lickety split back to the truck. I had bearspray on my belt, but better to get out than have to use it. I'm declaring my season over. Berries are nice, but so is coming home in one piece.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jul 29 2007 10:15:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  11:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Just had homemade pancakes made from the buttermilk left when you make butter per Maryjane's instructions from her book topped with huckleberry syrup. Jim tried to make jelly but it didn't set up but it makes great syrup. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  2:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that sounds yummy!

Michelle- I am glad you are okay! Did you actually see the bear or did you hear it only? Not that just hearing it isn't enough!!
yikes!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  09:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Didn't see it, didn't want to. EEP! I was in tall bushes...big mistake. And near a natural seep of water. Now that I've calmed down, I can see what a perfect environment it is for a bear. I'd move in too. So, I've crossed that spot off my list. It was a high spot anyway, and I'll do my picking earlier in the season at lower elevations next year, and avoid foraging in the tall bushes, sticking to the low growing variety with good visibility.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Huckleberries are ripening! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page