MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a ton of cukes and I wanna make pickles, but my dill just didn't turn out to very much. Can I use dill seed instead of fresh dill? The recipe calls for 24 dill heads. How much seed should I use?

Cristine

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9385 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9385 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Cristine,
You can use seed instead of fresh but I am not sure of the amount. Sorry.
Hopefully, someone will be able to tell you.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4228 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4228 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  05:09:27 AM  Show Profile
I have substituted dill seed before. My family says there is more flavor in the pickles made with fresh dill. I don't care for pickles. Ask around if anyone has extra dill? An option anyways. Michele
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  2:03:44 PM  Show Profile
I always use fresh dill and garlic. After I prepare the cukes and pour everything into the jars I stick in fresh spring of dill and whole garlic cloves. Then I seal the jars.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  9:31:55 PM  Show Profile
I used fresh dill last year. It was my first time making dill pickles. They were wonderful at first, but after about January they got to strong, you almost couldn't eat them. The flavor was good but there was too much pucker power! I wondered if by using seeds it would solve that problem.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  7:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Cristine, I just made a jar of overnighters ( a pickle recipe I got from my mom) most yrs I use fresh but I had some cucumbers ready today and didn't have fresh dill, so I used seed as well. I crushed my garlic cloves for more flavor.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
cristine,
this is the same problem i had, no fresh dill, and no place to get it. i used a recipe that said, 9 heads of fresh dill (thats for 3 quarts) or dried dill weed. then in the text of the recipe it says, " for each quart add l tablespoon OR three heads of of dill.
well i took that to mean that 1 dill head is roughly equivalent to 1 tablespoon of dill weed, which is supposed to be milder than dill seed. boy, this is starting to feel like higher math, i knew i shouldnt have slept thru math class!
anyway, another option,
www.mccormick.com, or call 1-800-632-5847, that is the resource info for the mccormick herb company. i will try to look it up on their site and get back with you.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
okay cristine,
i hope this will help in some way. i found a recipe where they were making 6 pints of dills, with 4 lbs of cukes. they used 1/2 tablespoon of dill seed and 1/2 tablespoon of dill weed in each pint jar.
i hope that at least gives you a starting point. just remember they are talking abount pint jars, not quarts, if you are using quart jars it would mean...........................
well, that may be one of the days i slept, i think there is a simple relationship between pints and quarts but i must have been snoozing. hope this helps.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fresh dill vs dill seed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page