Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 A picture of my Crocheted Grocery bags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic A picture of my Crocheted Grocery bags Next Topic  

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  10:08:07 AM  Show Profile
I hope this works.....

If that doesn't work (we'll see in a moment, I suppose), here's the link to my blog-post about some of the bags I'd made. The bags pictured aren't necessarily the bags I have available, though.

http://dragonflysmusings.blogspot.com/2007/05/some-creativity-hard-work.html#comments

Hope the picture is clear enough that folks can get an idea of what my bags look like. I can (and should) take more pictures to share, later.

Blessings.

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  10:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Ack. No picture... Go figure. Let's see..... How about a link to the pic specifically....

http://bp2.blogger.com/_0rY4A-5xBFo/Rk9t7DTVQ_I/AAAAAAAAADE/s18LW4RNGm4/s1600/DCP_0744.JPG I hope that works.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  10:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Kati...I really like the bags. Went to your blog to see them, the link to your pic gives an error. Nice work on them & the colors you chose are great. Thanks for sharing.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  11:52:17 AM  Show Profile
I loved seeing the bags too. I think they are the way we should all strive to go. I am building up my stash of bags and working on a new bigger crocheted cotton one now. I like the rounded design of yours alot. You do nice work!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies!

Jenny, I'm figuring on trying to be a good example to the folks in my town. It's funny the looks I was getting when I first started using these at the grocery store. Like they couldn't figure out WHY anybody might not want plastic bags. I actually had one of the baggers (a 14 or 15 year old kid) ask me WHAT I wanted him to do with my collection of bags??? Like.... Gee.... Those are for using?!?!? *rolling eyes*

Now the cashiers & baggers accept what I want with a simple "please try to put as much as possible into these, before using plastic". And as often as not, somebody comments on how pretty they are, and asks how sturdy they are. And they're coming to see that I can use only 2 or 3 of MY bags, instead of 6 or 7 of the plastic grocery sacks. LOL They do fit THAT much. Of course, I also tell them I don't need large items (toilet paper, milk jugs, boxes of juice drinks) put in the bags at all since I push the cart right out to my car. But, yeah, I think these are definitely the way to go. I do tell folks who ask that I make them to sell, as well, but I've never had anybody actually ask to buy one when they see me at the grocery store. I need to have some business cards made up. *grin*

Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  3:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kati-

I think they are great! I need to build up a bigger supply of bags so I won't have to use plastic or paper bags. I always feel like it is such a horrible decision either way when they ask you "Paper or Plastic?" Its like...gee...do I want to encourage deforestation or use of petrochemicals...

Your bags look like they are nice and sturdy! Keep up the great work! I bet the make really excellent presents!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile
HOw much do you charge for your bags Kati???

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I've been asking $20 per bag. It costs just slightly less than $8 in yarn to make, so $20 is not quite 3x the cost of materials. I've seen similar (though not quite as sturdily made, from what I could tell) bags sold locally for $30 and $35, but that struck me as far too much. $20 seems a good amount, and the couple of folks who have bought bags from me (fellow jurors, when I was serving Grand Jury Duty in May) thought $20 wasn't unreasonable.

Blessings. --Kati
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  7:43:21 PM  Show Profile
I think that is a great price. Have you tried doing an etsy shop?? Alot of us here have them and things do sell...sometimes faster than others. You could maybe go to etsy and do a search to see if there are many others selling similar bags and what they charge and all. Etsy is VERY cheap to do. Listing fees are only 20cents per item.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  9:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Those are so neat Kati!!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  12:50:54 AM  Show Profile
Your bags are great!

I would love to hear about where you live if you feel like describing your life in Alaska! Never been but would like to see it

Peace, Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4196 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4196 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  04:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Your bags are very pretty, and smart looking. Where did you find the pattern? Is it sugar and cream yarn? Michele
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  12:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, the pattern is mine, written through trial & error. Started with a bag made of net in a different sort of way, but it didn't feel sturdy enough for my liking, and the draw-string handles are hard on the hands when it's full of groceries. So, I kept making new bags till I had a pattern _I_ liked, that felt sturdier than any I'd seen before, very flexible & lots of give, with a handle that can be used grocery sack style, or shoulder-strap style. And the strap is not made seperately from the bag itself, so it's not going to come undone. I think I made myself 7 of these bags, and my daughter 1 as a swim-bag, before I was totally happy with the pattern. *grin* And yes, they are crocheted in Lily Sugar & Cream yarn. I like their variety of colors best (and the one local store that carry's Lion Brand cotton has a very skimpy range of colors). It takes 3 to 4 balls of Sugar & Cream per bag. (3 balls if it's a solid color bag, 4 if it's verigated/ombre.)

Stephanie, I've got a blog here: http://dragonflysmusings.blogspot.com/ where I post a lot about my daily life. (Well, that's ALL I've got to post about, really. LOL)

Just yesterday I posted an updated pictue of the bags I've got available. I have considered Esty, but I don't really know that I feel like an additional concern in my life right now. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Blessings.
http://dragonflysmusings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4196 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4196 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile
That is really great that you came up with the pattern-trial and error!!! I like the style of your bags!!! Michele
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile
I love those bags, and $20 is very resonalble. I would think trying to market them to health food stores would go really well.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Those bags are awesome! So, are you going to offer them for sell to us Farmgirls?
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile
I triple the cost of my materials as well. I figure, 1/3 for materials, 1/3 for expenses (booth rent, comission etc.) and 1/3 for my labor. Works pretty well.
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic A picture of my Crocheted Grocery bags Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page