Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Some quilt tops I made
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Some quilt tops I made Next Topic
Page: of 2

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  04:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely wonderful tops! They gotta make your heart sing Piecing is fun but like you I could sub out the quilting part.

Peace, Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kathie! You crack me up girlie!

Stephanie: I have subbed out one or two that just had to get done by a certain time. Never regretted that one bit and would do it again in a heartbeat. The quilters do great work and that is how some of them make a living, so I am willing to do my part by letting them do it for me! I have quilted many in my time though and sometimes I do like doing that. It is just the sheer size of some of them that makes me nuts trying to manuever them around the sewing machine!

Thanks Corinne! You should do a swap, they are so fun. I am hosting a fall one, so keep an eye out for that one coming up in a few weeks or so!

Carrie: You must be a quilter too with that saying!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  3:22:12 PM  Show Profile
OMG! Trying to move that huge top around on the machine....makes my head hurt thinking about it

I have sewn up memory quilts for folks in the past but the largest I would do was 45" x 60"...I could comfortably work with that size.

See ya, Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Jul 15 2007 3:23:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile
My husband always knows when I am first starting to machine quilt a top that is large because I am cursing and carrying on in the other room! :) He just stays out of my way!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  10:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Love your quilts!!! That sounds like so much fun....

So by the end of the class you have the whole quilt top done? Wow!

Looking at those makes me want to give quilting a try... I always look at all of the cool quilting cutters and squares and triangles...
But i need to try a new hobby like a big fat hole in my head.

Your make it so tempting.... they are just so beautiful.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."

Edited by - BotanicalBath on Jul 15 2007 10:25:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  06:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh Thank you.. I'm not the only one that swears at their machine!
i mean.. we all kniow I swear..
ok.. i swear like a sailor.. ok.. happy..
But i swear AT the machine.. as if it were a person!!
Not just swearing.. but.. I swear AT it!!

Not even fit things to tell you here..
Can you ONLY imagine how awfulm I would behave withe my serger.. ?
& forget a real quilting machine.. people would have to wera ear plugs around me..

Sheryl your work really is so beautiful.. I love your quilts!!
Great job sister!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:17:52 AM  Show Profile
We do not always get the whole top done in a class, but we get a lot of the blocks done and then when we are leaving, we get to see one finished (by the teacher) and we get the directions for finishing it at home. I am doing "America" this week and the colors I chose were red/white/blue versus purples and other colors (Purple mountains majesty idea I think) and then the next one in September is Iceland!! That will be cool. Have not chosen the colors yet for that one.

Making quilt tops is easy for the most part. If you take a class, it will be super easy since so many people can help you and give you helpful hints and shortcuts. I am the QUEEN of shortcuts! LOL They make fun of me in the classes because of it, but I have learned so much over the years from all of them that going fast is easy for me now.

Oh Kathie: I curse and rant and rave at that machine sometimes. Oh, and the serger??!! I love it most of the time, but when I don't!!! Watch out. I just have to take a drink and go straight to bed! :)
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheryl-lyn! Your quilts are really pretty! I don't think your dog is the only one with a lot of energy! I think you've got some lucky kids. Thanks for sharing!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Terre: Thanks!! I do have tons of energy most of the time. Grew up being told about idle hands make idle minds, etc! :) My kids had a pretty good time with me I hope!
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh those are beautifulllllllllllllllll!

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  4:38:04 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! Sheryl-lyn, you are one amazing woman finishing all those tops into quilts. I do mostly straight machine quilting, too, and I wish sometimes I spent more time on it. It's like I just want to get it dione already. I much prefer doing the blocks and tops, too.

I used berries from the message board to machine quilt two full sized or queen sized tops my MIL did. She did an AWESOME job. Keep her in mind in case you get tired of doing them up.

Hey, I recognnize those swap blocks!! I must put mine together soon. It is my next quilting project.

You do really amazing work. I am so impressed. I love the red and white quilt and the log cabin, really nice work.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  01:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Talk about the Serger episodes...I traded my Babylock serger to my sister in exchange for her older Pfaff Hobbylock..It's older but much nicer than the newer babylock..I don't have to change the throatplate to do a rolled hem on the Pfaff.

Anyway,since I just tried it out for the first time the other day I proceeded to do a 3 thread overcast and removed the left needle to get a narrower overcast..that's what I did on the Babylock...NOT....LOL

I suffered through hours one night and into the next day because it wouldn't work that way. I can thread that thing blindfolded at this point So after much discussion towards the machine (DH is listening from the other room...said it sounded like I was having a therapy session with my machine...LOL

It turns out after the 30th time of rethreading that the Pfaff will not do the narrow overcast in the standard mode..OMG! After all of that time I finally had the brain fart to just put the left needle back in and wouldn't you know it sewed like a charm.. I couldn't believe I spent all that time before thinking to just put the dam needle back in the left side to see what would happen

Some days are better than others girls! But I'm serging now!!!

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

Drop by anytime for a Latte ~
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  03:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Sheryl-lyn.....you are incredible, girl!!!!! You are a goldmine!!! The quilt tops are beautiful and I am salivating!!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile
My serger has made me cry:( There, I admit it and it's over! It took me so many tries to get it to thread correctly without the thread breaking again after one stitch was made. It took forever for me to figure out what the $#%@ was going on. Only I didn't say $#%@, I said the F--- word. The queen Mary of curses! So, I cried, and put my head on the table and my husband told me to just walk away and go to sleep. So, I got out the directions and "Oh! Okay!"

It is still not easy to use it after it's been a while, but I will say that I do love it when I have it set up and can just whiz through stuff. Maybe I will use it this week.

I have a few more to hang out to air this week and will take pictures of them. Thanks for looking at them!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  12:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, these are beautiful! I've tried to make quilt tops, even little ones, but I'm not precise enough. They get all lopsided and then I give up. My bonnet is off to you, girl!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I have many lopsided blocks in those quilt tops!! :) I just iron and stretch them when they won't do what I want. I do have a very good quarter inch foot on each of my machines and that seems to help me. I cannot draw a straight line even with a ruler! Thanks for the compliments!
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  1:29:20 PM  Show Profile
You are so awesome Kiddo.. i am forever impressed with the things you come up with!!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile
I am the queen of "make it fit and make it work!" :) Otherwise, I would never get anything done. Seriously, I cannot do the perfection thing in any area of my life. Kinda stinks, but somehow it all does fit and work! LOL
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
This has nothing to do with sewing, but I thought you guys might like to see the Hoosier my dad made me this past winter. Some of you have seen it already, but for those of you who have not, here it is
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11974&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  3:23:25 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! LOVE that hoosier!! I have one I inherited with my husband (maybe that is why I said yes?) Your is just so lovely, warm wood, polished so nice. I love that you are really using it. bread kneaded on those heavy pull outs really is great.

As for sergers, it took me almost two years of swearing and crying and going to bed until he next day when I was calm enough to read the instructions more carefully before I fell in love with my serger. I hae a Pfaff, and you absolutely MUST put the threads a certain way for it to work. It took me years of practice to get that right, and now I can change settings and everything. Mostly, though I use the four thread serging to finish edges on seams.

What do you use your serger for most? I have used it for rolled hems as well.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a Husqvarna 910 and it works great once you get the directions down pat! I use it for rolled hems a lot (placemats, tablecloths, curtains, etc) and the flat hem (3 or 4 threads depending on whether or not I have both needles in--I am sooooo lazy about that!) for finishing. My neighbor and I get together to use them so that we are not crying alone anymore! :) She and I took classes together too so that we were both learning the same things. I love the sound of the serger more than any other machine I own. Must be my recessed factory-worker genes from my grandparents who worked in the garment industry in Lowell, Mass. when it first began there.
Go to Top of Page

Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Those quilt tops are so beautiful. My Amish lady friends here make extra money for their families by quilting tops that are sent to them from women all over. They charge .60 a yard, I believe and it takes them sometimes only a week to finish a quilt. I was just amazed at how fast they are and how fine their needle work turns out. Just a thought for any of you girls who might want to have your quilt tops finished out. My daughters and I are going to try our hand at a quilt and have our friends quilt it out so we can give it to my youngest daughter's mother in law for Christmas.

Justmama from Amish Kentucky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Some quilt tops I made Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page