Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Purging! Next Topic  

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  2:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
So since we are moving, we are getting rid of SO MUCH stuff!! Purging is what my DH calls it. We are trying to cut it down to 1box of clothes for us each. If I havent used it in 6months and has no sentimental value ,its gone. I will be taking my dishes and crafts, fabric of course. But we want to start over so we might as well start over, right? Wish me luck

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

That sounds great! That is what we do every time we move. I evaluate all of our clothes. If it is torn, permanently stained, bleach spotted, to small/big it gets either cut up for rags, donated to Goodwill or tossed. I also try to evaluate all my books (I am a read-a-holic) and I sell the ones that I am not going to read again to a used book store for book credits. It helps keep the cost of my book buying down to a minimum.

Good Luck! It will amaze you how much you purge!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I never seem able to do that when we move only once I did that and we sold 90% of what we owned then now that was a painful purge

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Thats what we ar trying to do, Sell everything, I have the stove and fridge sold. Still trying to get rid of the others. I am going to have another yardsale soon and try again..

Mommy to 2
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  4:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Amanda,
good for you. Keep going and can't wait until you are up here.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I think it's healthy to get rid of stuff! I always feel better about things when I get everything moved out that I don't use. Besides, I like knowing that maybe there is someone out there that could USE some of that stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:58:04 PM  Show Profile
ok so maybe i should move so that i can purge my house of all stuff tripin us up

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  10:09:18 PM  Show Profile
best of wishes with the purging. good luck to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  05:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good luck with your 'downsizing', Amanda. I've been trying to do that a little at a time, starting with the big, dark, scary place we call our basement. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  1:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda,
I know exactly what you're going through. We moved about 7 months ago and I swear moving is one of the most cleansing experiences you will go through. I'm still constantly evaluating stuff and asking "Will I ever use this?"
Alison

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  07:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This is my 3rd move in 9 months. I have offloaded 9 Jeep loads over this time and 2 large truckloads of furniture. I am still refining but I got all of our clothes into two totes. All the baby clothes, blankets, shoes, socks, etc fit in one tote. I donated 4 boxes of books and 3 garbage bags of kitchen stuff. Feels good!!!
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Auugggg!! I am ready to be done, so ready that I would LOVE to jusr leave/trash everything!lol. Our landlords will let us out of the house a month early, cause I found someone who wants to movein right away. So our Official last day will be August 15, but I want to be out a few days before that so I can clean and paint with nothing in the way.So far I have gone thru alot and we're going to have another yard sale Aug4 at my aunts house. I got rid of alot of stuff already I have a box w/ papers to burn a small box of important papers, 1 box of clothes for the kids each , 2 for DH & I. I got my kitchen canisters packed and stuff I wont need. Our dvds & Cds my books(lots)most of my crafts:( . I have all the closets cleaned out. Most of the stuff is storage stuff. But I have a bunch of old atinque war books/mags that I wanted to keep, but dh said no way. We compromised I get to put them in storage. Other than that I know it will feel good when I am done, but keep your fingers crossed for me that I can just get it done with little less stress!! I'm thinkning about you all!!

Mommy to 2
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  6:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean Amanda! About halfway through of moving, I get so sick of it. It makes you want to just throw up your hands, doesn't it? Don't worry! You will get through it all! And it won't be too bad in the end!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  12:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, I've been trying since like I moved home from college :P Not so good hehe.

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  6:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
We did it backwards, we moved it all last june then purged! Everything went too fast and we had to pack and move in 23 days. So I quit fighting with the indians and said fine keep it! But when we got to the new house I would say, Now why do you want to clutter your space with that? When was the last time you used it? Let's take that to Tabitha's House.....lol It worked like a charm, we just had to handle it twice to get it out!

Good luck!

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Purging! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page