Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potatos!! Next Topic  

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Wow, I planted 3 potato "seeds" I guess is what you wann them and when I get to pick some weeds I noticed there was a little red potato peaking through the topof the dirt! So I was so excited I started diggin them up, we got 24!!! potatos! We have about 15 tomatos, and gotten atleast 10 peppers so for, with the plant full again. We are leaving next month, Iam hoping the maters will get red before we leave! Just had to tell someone bout the potatos, I was so excited. My daughter kept saying that is amazing mama, we did that. It was an awesome feeling.

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  08:47:15 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean--
I remarked to someone that it was like digging for buried treasure. I LOVE digging for potatoes! In the autumn, I'm building a bed for just potatoes next spring. Now that I see how much space they take up when they're blooming!

When I first dug some, I ran inside with a huge grin, mud up to my elbows and dirty potatoes in my shirt, yelling for my husband to "come look! come look!"

Congratulations!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni or Amanda-

I know this is a silly question- but could you tell us all how you planted the potatoes to be successful. They kind of intimidate me because I have never grown them before. And what type of potato do you use to cut up? Just one from the store or do you actually plant from seeds?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Alee-
I bought "tubers" from my local feed store--Kennebunk, Red Pontiac and Yukon Gold. There are only 2 of us, so I bought 2 of each. Cut them into sections (I was advised by the 100 year old man that works the feed store, that there should be at least 3 productive eyes on each piece I plant. I dug a small trench, and placed them 12 inches apart and covered with about 8 inches of soil. That was it. It was the easiest thing I've ever done!

Everyone told me that they've never had luck with potatoes, and actually laughed when I mentioned I was going to grow them. Ha!

Easy, cheap and super wonderful!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
It was really easy, I grew from tubers too. I planted only 3! And got a butt load. Its easy dont be intimidated!

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  1:24:58 PM  Show Profile
How old is your daughter Amanda? What a great experience that is for her...what a wondeful mama you are having her beside you in the garden!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile
yummy will have to do this next year no way am i planting anything in this heat

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Finding the new tators is like a treasure hunt, lol. I am a but late in planting ours BUT tomorrow I am going to plant some seed potatoes in tires for the heck of it.

Way to go Firemama!!!!

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How long does it take the potatoes to grow from planting to harvest? Do I still have time to plant?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the straw method of growing potatoes? You dig a shallow trench and plunk in the seed potato and then cover with 6" of straw mulch, then as the potatoes grow you add more straw on top. Apparently it's a really easy and clean way of growing potatoes (not that I have anything against dirt!) And no speared potatoes when you dig them up because you just pull up the straw.

So, anyone tried it? I'm thinking about doing it this year..

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  12:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay, maybe this is gross- but I wonder if you could do that in a manure heap from a horse stable? I mean that is really what most straw mulch is made from...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Too hot, Alee. Potatoes will grow in just straw--raked up leaves, almost anything.. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Do they need full sun, or will part sun do?
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I think part sun will do okay,mine we're in a spot where they got morning sun and then by 3or4 they were in the shade. I cant wait to get some in the ground!!

Mama to 2
I am who I am
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potatos!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page