Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 being a vendor at a farmer's market questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic being a vendor at a farmer's market questions Next Topic  

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  1:33:27 PM  Show Profile
There are a few of us farmer's that are starting a farmer's market. I have afew questions. I don't have a name for my products. My farms name is "Red Pine Farm" Our pork is called "Pleasant Pork" but I don't really want to call my jams and fudge and other homemade goodies, either of those names. My dogs name is "lily bug" is that an o.k name for my products? "lily bug preserves? just wondering any other suggestions or tips on the farmer's market thing?

"learn to watch snails" SARK

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  2:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am not sure if I would name any food items "bug" You might have people wondering what you are putting in them. But that is just me. When I do farmer's market my soap's name is "Alyssa Nora's Prairie Soap" People seem to like the name. I am sure you will come up with something you love, and if you like the name "Lily Bug Preserves" try it and see!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  3:54:44 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Alee on the Bug. Although it is REALLY cute it would be better suited to non food items in my opinion. What about dropping the "is" in your user name and going with MellaBella Preserves?

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  7:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I like Mella Bella Preserves (and candy, etc...)!
I love the name Lily, that was my old pup's name, too. We called her "Lily Belle". Maybe you could use both Lily's name and yours. "Lily Belle's Delectables", or something like that.

The gal I buy mine from calls hers "Sweet Spreadables" and I don't really recall caring that much about the name (now that I think of it, I don't really like it that much :)), but it's never stopped me from buying.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  8:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Dont worry about it too much... most customers dont care. Samples are going to sell food stuff better than catchy names.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

MzzBee
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
VA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  04:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MzzBee's MSN Messenger address
I have to agree about the "bug" thing, although it probably wouldn't affect me if I was actually standing in front of your delicious preserves. How about "Lily's Favorite Farm Preserves"? I'm sure Lily loves anything you prepare. Good luck with your Farmer's Market.

"Don't wear perfume in the garden... unless you want to be pollinated by bees." (Anne Raver)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I knew I could count on you gals!! I never thought of the "Bug" name being attached to food. YOu are absolutely right, bug and food, not so good:) Lily Belle's Delectables is great and so is MellaBella Preserves. It is funny that you suggest "MellaBella" as that is my nick name. When my neice was helping me sent up an e-mail account, (many years ago when I didn't know how to use a computer) she added the "is" by mistake. Anyway.....
Some of the things I will be selling is fudge, salsa, pickles and spice mixes such as Creole Seasoning mix and Fiesta Dip mix. Oh, and our free range pork/bacon. If any of you ladies have some preserve recipes or seasoning/dip mix recipes that you don't mind sharing, that would be great.
Thanks again for your suggestions, any more would be greatly appreciated!!!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  07:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mel, have you decided on a name for your "wares"?

Keep us posted!
J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  10:24:42 AM  Show Profile
I can't decide.....I think I'll just let it come to me. I want something that can cover a wide variety of wares. I am currently selling fudge, and jams. I would like to make pig shaped gingerbread men and maybe make some dog biscuits...so I would llike to have a name that is flexible.
we had our first Saturday lst week and it was GREAT!!!! A lot of the vendors sold out. We had 14 vendors for our first day!! We have more vendors coming for this week and we are soooooo excited.
We are thinking about making tote bags with the name of the market on it.
I am up for any suggestions on things for me to make/sell and if someone thinks of a name, that would be great too!! Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile
I'd just stick with the farm name, to tell you the truth. Builds name brand identity; people will associate all your products with your farm if you keep the name consistent.

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  04:21:49 AM  Show Profile
Mella,
That is so exciting!! I so want to be be able to sell at a farmers market.
Good luck with it all,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic being a vendor at a farmer's market questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page