Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  2:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I usually buy Brown Cow Vanilla yogurt in the quart containers. This last month they were out so I bought Nancy's. I don't really like it as much. It is very tart (like plain yogurt) and I can't taste any vanilla flavor. So I end up doctoring my yogurt with sugar and vaniall extract every day.

Which do you prefer?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  3:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am Diabetic type 2.
I love yougurt. like yol play sp ha.
I love the creamy kind with the fruite in them
I have to buy Eddie's icecream the 1/2 kind
I can't have too much.
I buy the Skinny Cow icecream sandwhichesThey come in chocolate and vanilla
I like the vanilla taste
The sandwhiches are like 33 carbs. in them so that is good for me
I also drink attakins shakes.
I have to have a lot of protien in my dite.
I love the shakes they are really good. Strawberry, vanilla and chocolate
I eat their bars to they are all yummy.
Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  8:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I get my yogurt at Trader Joes, it's organic and that works me. It's pretty runny but I only use it for smoothies so it works. I LOVE Brown Cow yogurt but doesn't it have a TON of fat? Maybe not, but it's so good that is must be WAY fattening!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  8:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cindy-

I try to get whole milk and whole milk yogurt whenever I can. I heard that your body needs the fat in the milk and yogurt to be able to process and use the nutrients in it. I am not 100% sure if that is true or not, but we eat a pretty lean diet the rest of the time so I don't mind having whole dairy in the house.

I as just suprised at how different Nancy's tasted from all the other yogurts. Even StonyField tastes more like Brown Cow. I have never enjoyed eating undoctored plain yogurt so I am not enjoying this batch. Maybe I need to just aquire a taste for plain yogurt! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  05:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Brown Cow yogurt is my favorite! I buy the vanilla in the quart size - all that cream on top! So yummy - it's like candy to me!

And for anyone worried about "fat", I encourage you to read Real Food: what to eat and why, by Nina Planck (http://www.ninaplanck.com/index.php?page=real_food_book)
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  06:37:21 AM  Show Profile
We use stoneyfield as they do not carry brown cow in our area. My daughter has had the brown cow brand and she really liked it. I heard stoneyfield was bought out by some other big company, has anyone else heard about that?

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I did hear that Stonyfield did get bought out. I can't remember by who now though... Oh Yes! They were bouht out by the people who make Dannon yogurt.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  04:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I like the Stoneyfield, and get the organic kind. But look at the packaging--- they're adding FIBER to it. It's organic, and it keeps the texture from being runny. In the old days, if people wanted a thicker yogurt, they either added more milk solids or let it ferment longer (and it would be more tart). Now they're adding fiber; namely, inulin. Fiber's cheaper than milk solids.

Not that fiber's a bad thing. But since it doesn't normally belong in yogurt, I just don't like it. It feels like product tampering.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
At least they aren't adding gelatin to it! I had to stop eatting most of the regular brands of yogurt because I read on the label that they were including gelatin. I have an aversion to eating pork which is what most gelatin is derived from.

But you are right- it is always odd to see what they add to yogurt. I like the Wallaby yogurt also. I kindof like the runny yogurts! LOL

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jul 11 2007 12:17:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:42:09 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of Nancy's Yogurt. I've had brown cow, and I like it alright. I have to get used to whole milk products, really, after so many years of dancing and watching weight, I have a pretty strong aversion to anything other than cheese!

I grab Stonyfield Farm from the local grocer because it's there (I love the fat free french vanilla, and their lowfat vanilla tastes like the yogurt my friend, Sarah, made while I lived in England)--otherwise I have to drive 40 minutes Wild Oats, and I'd really rather have less pretension with my yogurt

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love our food co-op here in town. They have many different brands of organic yogurt so I try them all- whenever they are on sale! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I had some really bad stomach problems a few years ago and could hardly eat ANYTHING. Well, I had surgery and as it turns out is was my gall bladder. At any rate, a friend brought me Brown Cow yogurt and I can tell you, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!! I always remember how wonderful it tasted and how sweet my friend was to bring it to me!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  6:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cindy-

I really like the brown cow yogurt. I used to treat myself when it was on sale and buy the chocolate yogurt from Brown Cow! Yum!! All of my roommates thought that chocolate yogurt sounded horrible so I knew I would always have it to my self! (hehe!)

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brown Cow vs Nancy's yogurt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page