Page: of 3

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  4:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Alee is doing the most thoughtful thing for a farm family that went out of the dairy business. They have milk bottles in various sizes, and Alee is selling them to help these folks out. So sweet! I missed her post under dairy critters, and thought maybe others might have missed out on this great opportunity too. Even just a few on your doorstep might give you and guests an excuse to smile.

Sorry to "rat you out" Alee, but the cause is so good, and the bottles are just darling. Thought a wider audience might help.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jul 08 2007 5:30:05 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Thanks for mentioning them :) You are very sweet!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:17:26 PM  Show Profile
How do I find out about these milk bottles? They are one of the many things I love collecting.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
http://kathy-whimsicaldays.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kathy-

They are milk bottles that were used in a dairy in Pullman Washington. The dairy had to close in 2001 because the land it is on is leased from WSU and Washington State health codes changed. To retrofit the dairy to fit the new health codes would cost too much for the family when their land least from the University could be cancelled at any time. The dairy owner has serious health problems and the wife if the only breadwinner now. So I am trying to help them sell their milk bottles.

The only problem is that they are the nice heavy glass so shipping is pretty expensive. I have been having poor luck for some people with the Post office so I have decided to ship using UPS or Fed-Ex from now on.

There are
Half Gallons for $2.50 a piece

Quarts for $2.00 a piece

and Pints, but I am not sure how much those will be. Possibly more because there are much fewer of them.

Shipping has been between $20-$30 for each package.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, do you think you could set aside 2 or 4 pints for me (depending on what you find)? Let me know what it comes to. No hurry, I'm not going anywhere.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Please find out how much the pints are!

Also just from my experience, but Fed Ex ground is the cheapest for shipping very heavy big boxes. And they are also the most gentle with the boxes... I send all of my important big stuff that way.

Big and heavy USPS is the most $$$

UPS I think runs over the boxes with their big brown truck sometimes just for sport. (Or when they know you really need it)

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  6:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL! Oh Elizabeth! Thanks for the laugh! It has certainly been a learning experience with shipping!

Michelle- Thanks for the pictures! Those came out great! I will be calling the dairy people tomorrow so I will get more info.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  7:11:04 PM  Show Profile
You are most welcome Alee. :) Any guesstimate how old these are? The family closed operations in 2001, when did they begin?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
You are such a sweetie! I sure wish I could get some of these - I so wish milk still came in glass!
Best of luck and all good wishes to the family you are helping out. I hope all goes well with them in whatever they are doing now.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile
I would like to get a couple of these too Alee! Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  8:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- I am not sure how old the glass bottles are. I will ask the dairy owner when I call her tomorrow.

Jayne- I could easily ship you some bottles if you wanted to pay for the shipping. I am not sure how much it would cost, but send me your postal code and I can get an estimate from Fed-Ex.

Mima- Send me and email with how many you would like and we can work out the details.

You ladies are so sweet. Thanks!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  9:28:46 PM  Show Profile
I am loving the 4 quart bottles I got from Alee..just wonderful. I strain Mona's milk into gallon glass jars with wide mouths and then cool it in my extra fridge in the garage. When I bring milk into the house I ladle off the cream into quart jars and then pour the skimmed milk (still with plenty of cream) into quart glass bottles. I had a few, and a couple half gallon jars already and I am loving haveing more. Mine get used every day. Just letting you know that they are nice, sturday and so useful. Cute for vases too!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  05:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Alee Sweetie, I emailed you!

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  06:59:48 AM  Show Profile
I would be interested in purchasing 2 pints, 2 qts and 1 half gallon. How do I go about it?

Nikki
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, e-mail Alee (click on her name and it will lead you through how to do it) with your postal code and what you would like. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Alee I picture a booth at the fall Past Blessings show and at the 2008 Maryjane's Farm Fair. They'd be a big hit! JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't that be darling! I could help you wash them up, Alee. Mine have a bit of a deposit ring at the bottom, but I think a good soak in some swimming pool chemicals will take care of that. I'm sure if I did have a dairy I'd know the right thing to get rid of that in a snap, but I don't.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies you are all so amazing!

If any of your bottles have a little deposit in them, just use vinegar and baking soda on them. It really breaks up that calcium deposit really nicely.

Michelle- You are such a sweetie! Thank you very much!

I am going to the dairy tomorrow to pick up bottles for all you wonderful ladies! The dairy owner was flattered and amazed that so many of you want bottles and she wanted me to pass on a very heart felt "Thank You".

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  12:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Alee Yes!! i would love some of these amazing bottles too!!
Shipping costs suck of course.. but we all know how creepy thats become.. So.. if you can.. please put me down for 2 of each of the three diffrent sized bottles please? ( 6 total..)
i would really appreciate it!!

Alee.. I had another thought too..
People just love old Memorabelia.. i know i do..
Anything else that they still have that they need to get rid of..
Even things they may think are trash.. you know we are such whacko's here.. We'd love silly things like the bottle tops too..
& be happy to pay for those too!!
So.. help them out with that too if you can.. !!
My Grandfather used to deliver milk with a wagon & a horse.. & he had alot of the bottles & stuff from when he drove ..
Funny things that you don't even think of.. the tops.. some metal ones.. & even some cute little wax like card board ones that they sealed the milk with!
These are such great things to find..
Even the milk crates themselves that have the dairy name! We had the ones that acted like a little cooler on your porch that the milk sat in when they delivered it to your house.. It had the Milk Co. name on it..
& oh bonus.. SINEAGE !!!

Just a couple ideas..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee--
I'd really like to have one or two, but I'd also like to have the tops that keep the milk in. Is there a way to get those?

I'd be glad to pay for shipping whichever way. Please let me know about the tops. I've been a lookin' and a lookin' for a glass milk bottle with the top!!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee I would love some bottles but can't spend that much for shipping. If you come up with anything cheaper please let me know.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  1:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee! Sent you an email!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  1:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I would love a large one, too! Alas, no cow here to put real milk into the bottle from, but I fill them with wild flowers and hydrangeas from my yard. Any left?

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

The tops they used were the cardboard pogs. I will try to get some, but they are behind a couple towers of glass bottles right now. I do have some of the wire carriers that they used- but they are super heavy. I bet they would just about double any shipping costs. But I would be willing to sell them as well. I am not sure for how much though.

Thanks so much!!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  5:22:13 PM  Show Profile
I would like 2 quart size and 2 pint size.
Great idea!

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought for far-off farmgirls swooning at the cost of shipping. If you know anyone coming to Spokane/Moscow, maybe they could pick it up and check them as baggage or stow them in the trunk? I know it sounds far-fetched, but when I was in Costa Rica that's how I got lots of stuff from home, just e-mailed folks I heard were headed that way, and poof! Most folks are so happy to help.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Alee's Milk Bottles Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page