campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any dinner ideas without heating up the kitchen? We have no air-conditioning in our house and the Temp is supposed to reach 104 by Saturday! It's gonna be a long hot summer Any other ideas on keeping cool?

Erin

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Erin,

That temp must be miserable for you, especially if the humidity goes up. I can handle the heat, but not the humidity.

Anyway, our area of So Cal can get pretty hot so we rely on lots of salads and fruit for meals. If we want any type of meat it is on the grill. Sometimes, when it cools at night I'll cook chicken strips and have them ready for salads or sandwiches. Or pasta for a cold pasta tuna salad. I can also cook in the crock pot (starting it at night) without heating up the house too much. Corn salad is another filling cool food. The other thing I've noticed is that we tend to eat later because the temp is cooler.

Hope these help give you some "cooling" ideas.

On a side note: to help with the heat try opening a window at either end of the house. Put a fan, facing outside, at one window. This will draw air through the house creating a little breeze. I have never had air conditioning and this method has always helped, especially when one window is shaded by trees (the air is cooler where trees are).

Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas! Any salad recipes? We're already have 4 fans going and in the evenings I point one outside! We unfortunately don't have any shade trees on our property yet. Thanks for the tips.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin-

Another idea to help cool down is to plant the Mammoth Sunflowers by your ground floor windows. They can get between 6-7 feet tall, so perhaps they could be your "Shade Trees" for this year.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cool dinner ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page