herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:46:59 AM  Show Profile
My two DD what to learn to bake pies. We are looking for the best crust recipes that are easy to handle & tastes great. What's yours.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile
I'll be interested in that too - my crust always breaks when I'm trying to roll it out and transfer to the pan.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile
I've never rolled a crust...found this one and stick to it. Everyone raves, so why stress myself out

2/3 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water, boiling
1 1/2 cups flour

In a medium mixing bowl, cream shortening with 1 teaspoon salt.
Mix in boiling water; stir in flour.
Press crust into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate.

I do mine with a kitchenaid stand mixer and it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish (pressing into pie plate and crimping edges)

I also use this crust with quiches, too.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:45:34 AM  Show Profile
I'll try it!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Boiling water? Most recipes I have seen require ice water! I am going to have to try this one! I am going to make blackberry pie! Yum!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I am coming over for my favorite Blackberry Pie..........mmmmmmGood.
I can smell and taste it now...

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:49:43 PM  Show Profile
It's the easiest and tastiest thing--the only thing I do is adapt the salt a bit. I'm very careful to use EXACTLY what it says, or even a little less. Just depends on your tastes, really.

Once it's mixed and pulls away from the bowl into a nice ball, I pull it out, get all the little bits that have flown on the side of bowl, and shape it a bit, plop it in the middle of my pie plate, and kindof mush it with my palm, and spin the pie plate to get it moving around, and eventually up the sides. Like I said, I've tried rolling crusts and I usually end up in a crying fit, and cooking is supposed to be (for me, anyway) relaxing and fun, and the end result good tasting. I believe, if I hadn't found this pie crust recipe, all my pies would taste evil and sad

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I am going to try this recipe to! Thanks Bunches!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Let me know how it turns out for you, girls. It really doesn't take long at all, and I've only ever gotten rave reviews. People will say, "this is the best pie, but MAN, it's the crust!" So, there you go.

A friend of ours, a musician who's in now relocating to Nashville, tells everyone he meets about "this purty girl from Kentucky who makes the meanest apple pie he's ever had". I sold some to he and his band for the road a few months back. It's fairly lucrative

Go to Top of Page

Harmony
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't have my recipe on hand, but I refridgerate the dough (for about 15-20 min) before I roll it out. Then I put it between two pieces of parchment paper and roll it out - that way it doesn't stick to the counter or to the rolling pin. This way works better than when I tried to roll it right after I'd made the dough.

Hope that helps!

"Have a belief in yourself bigger than anyone's disbelief." -- August Wilson
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Joni
What do you do for a top crust?
I'm into easy & tasty. I have a hard time with rolled crust, but would like to Harmony's.

Keep those recipes & pie suggestions coming!!!!

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

I tried your recipe and it turned out great. The only thing I had a hard time with was how soft it was because of the boiling water. I kept mushing it too much!! So next time I am going to roll it out between pieces of wax paper. But it tastes amazing! Thanks for sharing! This is certainly going to be my pie crust recipe of choice.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  05:37:46 AM  Show Profile
I don't do a top crust--usually a crumble. Butter, flour, sugar, cut into to coarse crumbs. It always browns so nicely and adds nice texture.

Alee--
If you used a stand mixer (?), just mix it enough that it starts knocking around. No need to handle it too much. After you remove it from the bowl, I kindof toss it in between my palms just a sec, then start pressing. I've found when I mix it too much, it does get a little funky. I spose it could be refrigerated a few minutes before you work with it, too. I'm just not sure how rolling it would be...

Glad you liked the flavor, though!!!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  08:39:57 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe that uses ice water, it's called a "never-fail pie crust", it also calls for an egg, vinegar, and baking powder.

I used to have problems with transferring top crusts until I watched another lady do it - When she had it rolled out and trimmed to size, she simply folded it in half, and then in half again. So the piece she transferred looked like a triangle. She picked that up, laid it on the pie, with the point at the center of the pie, and then simply unfolded it. She really made it look easy, so I tried it, and VOILA, it worked for me!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Jonni!!!!!!! I made your pie crust and it is WONDERFUL! I made a Strawberry Pie! DH is very happy! It was sooooo easy and the dough was not hot when I placed it in the pie pan.

Thanks so much Jonni's for sharing such a great pie crust recipe!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

FYI for farmgirls preparing a crust for the first time:

Follow Jonni's recipe and...

For a single pie crust: Before baking, prick the sides and bottom of crust. Bake crust at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, cool then fill with your favorite filling.

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Jul 06 2007 11:02:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  11:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Yippee MaryJane!!!!!

I'm sooo psyched that it worked out--it really IS simple, huh? And tastes SO good. Congrats on a super sounding strawberry pie!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

I don't have a stand mixer unfortunatly so I used a handmixer. The dough formed up really great and then kindof got stuck in the beaters. It kneaded really nicely though! I am going to play around with it a bit to see how to get it to work best for our kitchen since I don't have a stand mixer.

My fiance really liked it! He said it tasted really buttery. I said "Would you be suprised if I said there wasn't any butter in it?" He got a funny look on his face and said "Actually... yes!" :) ! I love it when I suprise the man. It's very cute.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  11:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, try using old fashioned lard instead of shortening. I read it in an Amish cookbook and tried it (one part butter to 3 parts lard) and now I wouldn't use anything else. The crust is so flaky! And the bottom one doesn't get soggy.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  3:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone used coconut oil, instead of shortening? My DD & I are going to try that today and make strawberry rhurbarb pie.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  8:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Butter Pie Crust

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold butter
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Combine flour and salt in large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water, with fork, just until flour is moistened.

Divide dough in half; shape each half into ball. Flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.

For 1-crust pie, roll out 1 ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold dough, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan. Crimp or flute edge. Fill and bake according to pie recipe directions.

For 2-crust pie, roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold dough into quarters. Place dough over filling; unfold. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edge. Cut 5 or 6 large slits in crust. Bake according to pie recipe directions.
For baked unfilled pie shell, prepare dough as directed above for 1-crust pie. Prick crust all over with fork before baking.
Bake at 475°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes Pastry for 1 (2-crust) pie or 2 pie shells.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Whole Wheat Double Pie Crust

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup apple juice

Cut together 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup butter until the butter is small marble-sized. Make a well, and quickly pour and cut in 1/4 cup apple juice. Gently knead on a floured surface for 2 minutes.

Separate into two balls for the top and bottom crusts.
Roll out with a floured rolling pin. Place one on the bottom and sides of a pie plate. Add pie filling and cover with the top dough. Seal the edges and prick the top crust with fork.
Bake at 350*F for 35 to 60 minutes, depending on the filling.
Makes 2 pie crusts.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Graham Cracker Pie Crust

8 ounces graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix well; press into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; allow to cool before filling.
Yield Size: 1 9-inch pie crust.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  9:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Peg, just wondering--when you were a little girl did you think that they named Graham crackers after you??

It's been a long day and the Nyquil is kicking in! Good Night!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  11:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Gals,
These are great recipes. DD & I made strawberry rhubarb pie with coconut oil crust (traditional shortening recipe; flour, salt, sugar, shortening) It was great. I really want to thank those who shared rolling between parchment/wax paper. We used freezer paper, shiny sides together & that worked great & no mess.
I usually use coconut oil & butter, but want to try using soft white wheat flour that we grind for the next crust.
Thanks again

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bump!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  7:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bump 'cause I am using this crust tonight! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8