Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Is anyone else having losses from either poor germination or no germination or insects?

Mine seems to be in two areas this year. Earlier I planted 4 types of spinach, in a square foot plot system. I used some seeds I had in storage(3 yrs old) and I used brand new this season seed. I have 4 separt plots and barely any seedlings. I wound up righting it off and replanting thw whole thing again, this time using 2 rows of just two types of spinach. The first time it was pretty dry, but this time we have had adequit rain and still I have about a handful of seedlings up. I have never had problems growing spinach and all my other greens are doing great.

My other problem is now with my sweet basil. I cut my first big harvest a week ago, for making pesto and now it seems the plants have all these little round black spots of them. I think it may be from some kind of insect but and not sure. So I think I am going to cut it all and salvage what leaves I can and freeze them and redig the entire spot.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile
I noticed things have been slow to take this year in my garden. First it was soggy and way too much rain, now it is hot and dry. I did get a good harvest off of the rhubarb and the raspberries seem to be doing okay. The blueberries, even though I pruned and watered, the berries are really small this year - so I will have to make sure to fertilize next year. My tomatoes are from seed and are just finally starting to take off, but not as fast as last year. The pole beans are a bit slow too. Not sure if my soil is the problem - though I amend it regularly with compost and steer manure, etc. Not sure - just seems slow and not very big results. hmmm.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My plants took a while to get established this year, but now they are doing great. The lettuce was really slow starting, but now it is growing great! I hope yours starts doing better! Have you put down any sort of fertilizing mulch or anything?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I did Alee, but I think I am going to whip up a batch of manure tea from some aged rabbit manure I have and try that.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Trace-

That sounds like that might help! Perhaps they are still getting their roots established?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  7:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Alee, I was doing some weeding today and noticed new spinach plants breaking through. I think the seeds went dorment for lack of rain, and now that we have had some good soakings , they are comming alive. I am hoping anyway, lol

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  8:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is probably it Tracey- My lettuce and such was slow to start this year, but once it did! Watch out! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Slow Growing/NO growing Veggies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page