Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Hi, what's yours been out of your garden so far this season. This morning was my 1st biggest harvest of swiss chard. It is gorgous this year. I planted 3 kinds but my fav is Bright Lights. I cut an enormous bowlful, but like spinach, it cooks down to nothing, lol. Good thing I have tons still out there.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it great when you start harvesting? I have gotten a pretty sizeable harvest of peas, carrots, and lettuce so far. And now my tomatoes are coming along. I should have a pretty tasty salad here soon!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Good deal Alee.. better it will taste wonderful.. enjoy!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Trace- I am jealous of your huge harvest! I haven't ever tried Swiss Chard before- What does it taste like?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
me either... i have no clue what swiss chard is! i have gotten 3-4 cucumbers, a handful of hot peppers and a couple of pattypan squash. i have some summer turnip greens that are ready to harvest, but i haven't gotten around to cutting them... we are members of a csa and we've been getting more than we can eat weekly from that! we won't join the 2nd half of the summer's csa, and by that time, our garden should be in full supply!
our beans (pawnee bush, blue seeded string beans, edamame & sugar snap peas) are growing like crazy, i can't wait until they're ready to pick!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Swiss chard (we call it silverbeet here in Oz, who knows why the different names!) is the best plant ever! I have the same plants growing and being continually harvested for nine months of the year before they need replacing. I usually plant about 12 plants and that is heaps for us and the chickens - it is great for the chickens as it is full of iron and folate (also good for us, of course!) I suppose the closest approximation is spinach, in that you can use it in any dish that calls for spinach, although it is not the same flavour; it is more robust than spinach.
Everyone should plant some! They are also great as they grow over winter and fill in that early spring gap where there is not much growing.
Best wishes,
Jayne

Edited by - daffodil dreamer on Jul 04 2007 10:32:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  03:33:14 AM  Show Profile
ZUCCHINI! For once we are on top of things and able to not only walk in weed free areas, but harvest so these little monsters don't turn into something left on the neighbor's porch at midnight

We also enjoyed our first tomato over dinner last night. It's so good!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  05:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Ditto the zuchini!! DH bbq it last night with a little italian dressing - we had them as appetizers for the 4th instead of chips!! Amazing! I have cabbage too! made awesome coleslaw! we've had a couple beets too. mmmm.... We don't get our tomatoes till late august/Sept. We live on the coast and I think they like heat...our summers average around-70-for that matter so does the rest of the year!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wonder if it is too late to grow Zuchinni here... you all are making me wish I had planted some!! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  7:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Your gardens sound GREAT!!! Jayne, I wondered too why swiss chard goes by different names, lol weird. I didn't know the name Silverbeet til I read it in "animal, vegtable, miracle"lol Yours must be the colored type too then. I love that one.
I cut 5 italian type zucchini today. They are so good. My other varitey is a polish one, it is full of blossoms.
I hate the baseball bat zucchini, who eats those, lol. How much bread can a family consume from them before they go on strike, lol. I like to harvest mine young, tender and smallish. I have two nice size ones waiting for the soup pot tomorrow. Today, I oven roasted one for lunch and sauteed the other for supper.

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Trace,
I so want to read that book but my library hasn't bought it yet!! I very much agree with being a locavore, which seems to be the main focus of the book, from what people here have said about it. Is that right?
Yes, I do have the coloured variety - here it is called Rainbow Lights. It is an heirloom variety - I get all my seeds as heirloom varieties; I just love reading my Seed Annual when it comes in the mail! And it just keeps on growing!
Zucchini is my other great grower - seems to be the same with you. I too like them small - my brother is a chef and he always steals all the blossoms if he can. Sometimes though I turn my back for three seconds and they get away from me and the next thing I know there is a baseball bat one! I don't know how they manage to hide away from you.
Nearly time to put in potatoes here, so I have been preparing the bed for them. And soon it will be spring - my Seed Annual should be arriving very soon.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile
I've done pretty well so far. Peas and lettuce first, potatoes from May and continuing presently, green beans currently, and carrots in a few weeks.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  3:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Yes Jayne, the main focuse from how I have taken it with the book is being a locavore. My thinking has come around to people supporting people. And what better way to start then with the people who grow the foods we eat. I was thrilled today to find organic celery in my heathfood store, as I needed some for the soup I made today but hated to idea of resorting to the grocery store. As for price, 1.89 was reasonable to me. I found out today, celery is about the worst vegtable to be bought at a commercial food store because of how it is grown. If anything, celery should be the one item you buy organic.
With the dissappearnce of small farms, it's heartening to see the tides starting to change, albeit slowly, it's better than them forever being extinct.
I was thrilled today because I got the phone call saying we had our "1/2 side of grass fed, naturally raised beef" will be ready in september. It's raised 5 miles from where I live by people who have the same food ideas I have. That is good to know, in my book. Monday, I pick up 2 free ranged organic chickens I ordered, from a local. I will be ordering my chicks in the next week. Wish my luck with that project, lol. I am excited about it. The same people who have the chickens will be having pork in the fall ready for sale and I have my name in, lol.

I figure maybe I can't do 100% like she did in the book, but I can do a part of it. My husband is a bit worried, I think he thinks I will be making him wear hemp underware soon, lol.
Naw, I promised not to get THAT extreme, lol

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tracey-

Are you sure your husband and my fiance aren't brothers! LOL I think that Doug worries that I will make him wear hemp underwear too! LOL!!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:17:42 PM  Show Profile
We started the season with my favorites, strawberries & asparagus, more than we could eat! Then red raspberries. In the last few weeks the weather has been beautiful here, cooler than normal with lovely afternoon rains. This has given us a bounty of lettuces, many varieties, all tender, delicious, and SO pretty too!! With this great weather we have also had swiss chard, wonderful spinach, and a bit of rubbarb. Yesterday I picked the first zucchini, six nice ones. I noticed there are a few yellow summer squash very nearly big enough to pick.
The broccoli has tiny little heads, there are all kinds of little peppers, and there are tomatoes on the vine as well.
I just LOVE having fresh things to eat every day, don't you ladies?
Rhonda
PS My husband is the vegetable gardener... I'm just the helper.

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Jul 06 2007 10:19:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  06:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Trace and Alee,
My hubby is coming along for the ride and agrees with most of what I think. But sometimes I can see the cogs in the brain working, thinking 'Yes, but....' Like today I was talking about coffee - for nearly everyone that is not local or even from the same country (I don't drink coffee, so I knew he was thinking that it wan't fair to use that example!)
Meat is one of my big issues, as it is not just the use of chemicals, hormones, etc. but the humane issues of the care of the animals as well. I get all my meat direct from the producers, so I know how the animals are raised, killed, processed, etc. I would rather pay more and eat less meat and know that it was ethically produced than buy from the supermarket. We actually have a freezer full of lamb at the moment as a friend killed a few lambs for his mates. It is the most beautiful lamb I have ever tasted. Soon I will be killing my first chicken - wish me luck! I have always bought point of lay pullets, but some friends gave us three chicks and one has turned out to be a rooster. My girls are determined they will not be eating him, but I will leave that up to them. I don't think I will serve it to them and then tell them later it was him. I may put them off forever. I have decided that if I am serious about the ethics of meat eating, then I have to be prepared to raise my own, so here goes!
And personally, I love hemp clothing - it is so soft! It would probably be real comfortable for underwear!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  1:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I agree with you Jayne, you have to be upfront and honest with your kids when it comes to "who" they may be eating. We had this talk with my son Lee about the meat birds we will be raising. It's funny you mentioning the ethical treatment and processing of the animals you'll be eating. I had that same talk with the farmers I am buying my meat from. THAT is why I am buying it from THEM and no one else. And until the meat we are raising is ready to process, I like knowing my way of thinking is on the same road as that persons.

Watch out for their Cogs Jayne, lol. It's the clog that has me making butter again. Funny thing is, they are treating my homemade butter like gold. Almost like they are afraid once it is gone, no more will appear for their enjoyment. Now don't let the cat outta the bag, but I love making butter and knowing all you can do with a wholesome product like milk. It's better that a 2'fer sale, lol

Alee, they could be, lol. I have been working on my old conventional farmer for nearly 25 yrs now to get him to see the light and come around to the uncoventional side of farming, slow but steady is winning now at our place.

Rhonda, asparagus is my next garden adventure. I love the stuff, cooked and raw.

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to add, I cut my first big batch of collard greens today. Yup, a yankee growing collards, lol. Will be making bacon brown sugar braised greens tonight for supper. Can't wait!

Edited by - Trace on Jul 07 2007 1:56:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  08:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh asparagus! I can't wait to be able to have an asparagus patch. Luckily there is a great local grower round here; otherwise all the stuff in the supermarket is from Thailand.
And I so can't wait to make my own butter - my own everything really! Trace, sounds like you are living the dream, girl!! We are planning for the end of the year - I keep saying to hubby, every day we delay is one day further away from harvest. I am itching to get fruit trees and long term crops in the ground, but haven't as we have always been living somewhere 'temporarily' until we get the farm. Fingers crossed that all goes to plan this time!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  2:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Got my fingers crossed for you Jayne!!!! Keep the faith in yourself and all your hard work. My dream, may not be the standard of another persons, as money is low and the to do list is yards long, lol. Even after all the yrs I have been here. But lately, we have again rounded on the notion that we NEED to be raising more of our foodstuffs and doing it the way we want to. Time seems to be a crunch for us, as my hub also works off the farm, at another farm. So when a job here requires 2 people, it may take us longer to get it done, than most. But as I see it, we aren't going anywhere, lol. Like you, I want to get some more long term crops in. I have made room in the garden for the asparagus and the blueberries and our apple trees are going to go into my old horse pasture. I want to plant an old vareity of Mcantoish, my fav. We lost the ones we had. Garlic is on my list too. I planted rhubard this spring and I need to redo my herbs, which I had scattered here and there.
Just planted my tomatoes today, an heirloom type and a roma. A bit late, but I still think they should produce, they look good. I pulled quite a lot of turnips today and 3 baby beets, lol.

Stay positive,
Trace

BTW, a good old blender is the best tool for butter making, lol.. works everytime..

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic First Big Harvest Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page