Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 So who can teach me about ducks??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So who can teach me about ducks?? Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:30:29 AM  Show Profile
The work is done (I think) and now I need to know how to properly care for ducks! I've tried to do some internet research, but there is too much conflicting information and now I'm just confused!!
Here's what I've done so far...
The yard for them is large, complete with a shady area and is now entirely fenced 5' high.
I took an old 14' diameter koi tank, cut it down to a reasonable depth and sunk it in the ground. It is complete with drain in the bottom so it will be easy to hose out and keep clean. I put topsoil around it and seeded it with grass seed.
The "duck house" is not that large, about 6'x5', but I insulated it (probably not necessary), varmint proofed it and installed an east facing window. What is the best flooring material, straw or pine shavings? What kind of feeders do I need? Will ducks go into their house at night like chickens do (they will have to be locked up at night due to mink)?
I really want about three or four ducks...just pets...but I won't jump into getting them until I know how to properly care for them. So...what are good breeds, particularly what breed do you recommend that won't just fly the coop!? What and how do I feed them? Do I need to do anything else to make them happy, healthy ducks??
Di

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Jul 03 2007 10:34:47 AM

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  9:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,
First of all congrats on the venture towards having ducks as pets.
I can tell you that muscovy ducks are a good breed as they are good setters/mamas. They are different than other ducks in that they do not have as much oil glands in their feathers..and as such..they can drown easier than other ducks.Peking ducks are very sociable and that is the type that I have..they do not fly at all.
With any baby duckling that you get..it is best to wait until they are at least 5-6 weeks old before exposing them to water..and when you do..please supervise them and only allow a few minutes water time each time...then gradually increase.
On the beddding/housing area. It is very important that their cage area be kept clean and dry.
Since I have a portable cage that I house my ducks in that has no bottom to it....I'm not sure what type of bedding to suggest. I do make a point to move the portable cage about the yard every 2 days to prevent any type of build up of fecal matter and eliminate any and all possibility of disease. The fecal matter is jetted into the ground with the water hose and the cage is moved to a dry area that has plenty of grass underfoot and of course is free of any ant homes.
I place their food and water containers at various areas around a large drake elm tree in my backyard..this provides them a shady area and a food station..they have free range of the entire yard every day.
At night they are ushered into their cage and every morning at 7:30 they are released into the yard. At night they have a large poultry waterer in their cage.
During the daytime they have a large potting soil mixer bin(the large big black bins that you can buy at Ace Hardware) this I fill daily with fresh water/sometimes twice a day/depending on the look of the water..Ducks must always have fresh water. They are picky and if it is dirty they will not bathe in it at all..trust me..they know..and they are picky. Clear water makes for happy ducks.
Twice a day my ducks get a ration of turkey/quail mash 2 cups full twice a day. And they free range on all the grass and bugs their little hearts desire in the yard. They also get treats of fresh lettuce shreds when I prepare a salad.
Never ever feed your ducks chocolate..it is fatal. Never ever feed your ducks things like bread or crackers or as otherwise known "people junk food" it is not beneficial in any way to them and is no good for them.
You can feed them hard boiled eggs from time to time if you'd like.
I suggest that you contact your local feed and seed store and ask them about what types of feed they have available for ducklings and for duck maintenance feeds.
My ducklings started out and have been maintained on a turkey/quail mash that I was informed at my feed and seed was a good thing for the ducks.
I have noticed that they have excellent sheen and a lovely healthy feather coat. Legs and feet are bright and healthy, beaks and noses and eyes bright, no lack luster appearance no natty feathering.
Well rounded breast area and full bodied..basically very fat and sassy.
-----------
I hope I have helped in some small way to eleviate at least some of the confusion.
Best wishes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jul 03 2007 9:23:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  9:19:52 PM  Show Profile
oh, about the feeders..to start with get a large poultry waterer..they need to be able to submerge their beaks. And to start when they are babies..a regular large chicken feeder will work(the metal type with the holes that look like trays) These work well to start with.
Now..that my ducks are full grown as mentioned at night..they still use the large poultry waterer and in the day they drink from their "pool" ...For their feed I simply use an old frisbee and fill that with their feed. It is plastic/and bright yellow so they know exactly where to go..ha.. and when they are done eating I just jet it off with the waterhose and I have a "resident" dove that comes and eats the tiny remains of any of the mash that has washed into the grass..ha.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jul 03 2007 9:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Tina, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Now I know who I'll be emailing if I have questions!!
Hugs!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile
you are welcome Diane, and feel free to email anytime. I'll try to help where I can.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  1:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
Welcome to the Duck Fan Club :)

Rather than blabbing on and on about my late Duck Duck who passed away recently, I am going to suggest reading the 2 topics on page 4 of this forum. They are entitled "Bringing up ducky" and "Duck behavior".

I would suggest buying the book Barnyard In Your Backyard and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. I found both to be excellent. I am also going to suggest checking out the website www.majesticwaterfowl.org..... I ADORE their website!If I owned my own home, I would adopt from them in a heartbeat.

For fun, Duck-happy medicine for those days when I miss my own, I go to www.mrflapper.com

I have tooo many links to put on here, but if you want more, then e-mail me and I would be happy to share. I actually started a little notebook so I can write down all the helpful links I find.

Married to my hubby & the Army, my Meezer, birdies and my sweet Duck Duck!
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  6:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Megan,

I am so sorry to hear about Duck Duck! I am sending you a big hug from one ducky gal to another.

Diane~I too am new to the wonderful world of ducks. Mine are 5 weeks old and have grown so much since we purchased them. They are just now getting to know all about water and I started them out with an old cat litter pan that I was not using at the moment. This was a perfect size to allow them to splash around without fear of them getting in over their heads (pardon the pun). Mine are currently living with my broiler hens but all of those will be gone August 8th and then the ducks will have the run of the place. We have pine shavings for bedding and yes, you should have them in a secure pen at night. We have all manner of predator just waiting for me to slip up and forget to put them to bed at night. Mine don't go into the coop, I have to pick them up but I think they will become habitized just like chickens. Please keep posting your progress and hopefully we will both have many happy, ducky years to come!

cheers,
mag
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
One thing I noticed is that no matter what the weather, Duck always prefered to be outside. With much protest on her part, I would have to put her away a lot more during our monsoon season. We get bad dust and wind storms, followed by the torrental rain. I was always afraid she would get blown away or hit with debris. Haha she sure had me wrapped around her little feather... I couldn't bear to listen to her qwack ( I think the storms bothered her) so I would hustle her inside on the kitchen floor Funny isn't it how our pets have us whipped!

I think she enjoyed her hutch (I mean who wouldn't like a quaint, 2 room, bright blue hutch?!) but she did not go in on her own at night. I always found her sleeping in the grass. Once she got her "goodnight lettuce" she climbed in on her own. I think they get so used to us putting them away, that they make it a game.

Married to my hubby & the Army, my Meezer,and my birdies!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:22:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the book suggestions Megan, I will make sure to look for those. I have a rule that NO critters are to be brought here unless they have proper quarters and you know beforehand how to care for them properly. Well okay, that rule was broken when my daughter got a new drivers license and the free-for-all out of the paper and "rescued" some sad looking bunnies complete with cages "if she took them all". Geez! Cost us a bunch to have the vet get them back in shape too, but they are happy bunnies now so it all had a happy ending.
We too have all manner of predators Mag, particularly nasty mink, and we all know what they do to poultry (and un-netted koi ponds...sigh).
So now I just have to go to the feed store to see what they sell in the way of feeds and then find some ducks for sale!! Can't wait.
Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:04:25 AM  Show Profile
I have my ducks (white pekins and rouens) in a dog kennel with wheels attached. Ducks splash water everywhere and it doesn't take long for them to turn their yard into a swamp, so when they do, I move them to greener pastures. I also have a big rubber stock waterer for a swimming pool and I dump and clean that out at the same time. If you clip the flight feathers on one wing, they can't fly away. My personal favorite duck is the Rouen. They are beautiful (look like Mallards) and aren't quite as big as the pekins.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Our male Peking will come running now when we call his name "Daffy" he loves to follow us around the yard.
Pretty comical. Of course the female folows him around everywhere too, but he seems to be the friendliest of the two.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So who can teach me about ducks?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page