mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile
I have decided to make a christening gown. I don't have any grandchildren yet but hope to someday be blessed with one. I'd like to make it now so that in the "blessed event" that I should need one it will be ready. I just really want to make one. Sewing is not the issue as I have sewn all my life and even made a career out of it. I'd like to make something totally by hand. Lots of embroidery,lace, pintucks. I'd actually like to make my own lace but would use some beautiful irish lace if I could find it.I need to decide what fabric to use. Any suggestions? Silk, linen, any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. I plan to start as soon as I can decide what to make it out of. I will probably check out the pattern books. Anyone know of a pattern source that I should check out other than the pattern books at the store? Any ideas of any kind would be appreciated. I also plan to make a bonnet to match as well as crocheted baby booties. I am so excited about this. Tracy

Harmony
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  1:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Have you seen the christening gown pattern in MaryJane's new book? It's gorgeous.

"Have a belief in yourself bigger than anyone's disbelief." -- August Wilson
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  2:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Tracy I have started a Grandmothers Hope Chest. Don't know when I will be blessed with Grandchildren but I will be ready. Have you seen the christening gowns from Martha Pullen? They are gorgeous and true true heirlooms, lots of tucks, lace etc. She has several books and Sew Beautiful Magazine and all include beautiful patterns. I used Batiste for the one I made, very nice to work with, and washable. I made a real cute one for a friends grandson, the mom didn't want a gown, so it was white linen and batiste shorts and attached shirt with a vest. It has now been used for 4 little boys.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, have you seen the ones through Clotilde? They have several and you can go on line to look at them. Martha Pullen has many wonderful gowns too. Have fun looking and let us know how it goes. Cindy
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  10:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Last July I decided I wanted to make a Christening Gown even though I had no grandchildren.....yet. I ordered a book "Elegant Sewing -For Baby- by Martha Pullen. She autographed it with a lovely message. This book is filled with beautiful pictures and patterns of vintage Christening gowns,daygowns,bonnets, baby booties and more! A book that together with the gown I am making will be passed down in our family as an heirloom.Also included is a history on infants clothing in the 19th Century.Such a well written beautiful book. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in truly beautiful over the top vintage sewing.Well..... this past December 3rd out of the blue our 28 yr. old daughter got married! Called us on a Sunday evening and told us she was getting married the next day at the courthouse. Pleaded with her to wait till the following weekend so that we could put together a nice little wedding. She said no they were getting married the next day. And they did! We held a lovely reception for them last month. They decided they wanted to start a family as soon as possible and have just found out they are going to have a baby due November 9! We are overjoyed. This will be our first grand child. When I finish the gown I will post it on my blog.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you and glad that you checked out Martha Pullens books and patterns...they are breathaking.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  07:08:15 AM  Show Profile
In 1987 I made a long christening gown and bonnet for my neice from a Vogue pattern, and I think they still have it in their pattern books in the sewing shops. It has pintucks, lace, an underskirt, etc. I made it from lightweight bridal satin, and it washes up like a dream. (We found the babies always spit up on it, and one time a guest spilled coffee on it!)

When I gave it to my sister-in-law for the baby, I (single at the time) asked if it could be borrowed for any of my future children, too. It has now become a family tradition to use it, as they had 3 children, and so did I, so 6 babies got to use "the gown" (even the boys!).

One caution, though. Don't use scratchy lace, and if using buttons, make sure they're flat ones, not the rounded kind that stick out, because they'll be uncomfortable if the baby lays on its back. Of course, if you're making your own lace, I'm sure it will be very soft!

Good luck,

Lori

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  09:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your comments. I appreciate the advice about not using scratchy lace or rounded buttons. I haven't purchased any lace yet but hope to find some soon. Any suggestions.Would love to find some handmade crocheted lace or any kind of nice lace. Although I can crochet,I am unable to manage the very fine thread used for making lace.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i have made 3 christening gowns and my favorite was the vogue pattern. i made it first with a very fine woven cotton and it was beautiful. the second time i made it was with a fabric that looks like fine silk but washes like iron. i cannot remember the name of hte fabric as it has been almsot 20 yrs ago. the embroidery is done with white thread on the white fabric. i made the dress, coat, blanket and pillow edged with 5 inch wide very fine lace.i was told that i should make that one to sell but i just dont have the heart to make something like that for a complete stranger and if i did it would have to sell for about $500 as it is so time consuming! good luck with your gown and hopefully the future grandchildren will come soon! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  07:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a company often sourced in sew beautiful (martha pullens magazine) http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Shopper_id=6732761814136732&Store_id=198&Page_Id=17&categ_id=6

And here is a link to a company that has organic cotton laces
http://www.nearseanaturals.com/browse.php?category=47

Martha Pullen just came out with a new christening gown book that collected some of the more popular patterns from the magazine totally worth the price of the book considering how many exquisite patterns are included and embroidery templates
http://store.marthapullen.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=3902&category_id=190257f8c44ac14e747404ce1accddcc&
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  9:12:44 PM  Show Profile
I used Folkwear's Victorian Christening Gown to sew a gown for my son 23 years ago. Nine years ago my first grandson wore it at his baptism. It's a truly beautiful heirloom pattern.
http://www.folkwear.com/children.html

Linda Albert

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Christening Gown Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page