Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic foxtail up nose Next Topic  

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile
My dog, the adorable Hudson, seems to have snuffed up a foxtail. All I found online is to put a few drops of oil (I used olive) to soften it and keep it from going further up his nose.
Have any of you delt with this before? Have I read this somewhere on the forum before? We have delt with this before and took him to the vet (which my yet be in our future), but I don't want to have to pay weekend prices!
Please let me know if you have any additional ideas/remedies.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know foxtail can be bad because it will keep working its way upwards! good luck! I hope the oil helps!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:10:57 PM  Show Profile
My dogs used to get them up their noses alot when we lived in Calif..not as many foxtails here...since they are basset hounds they sort of keep their noses close to the ground. I have never had good luck getting them out myself..it is easier with hemostats than with tweezers..but be careful not to pinch tender skin. One of my dogs could sneeze his out easily and one never could...I agree...don't wait too long to get to a vet if you can't get it out..they are dangerous. I hate foxtails!! I wish I had some more help for ya!! poor Hudson!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Please don't wait. My little Scruffy dog got one and had been sneezing all day while we were at work. We took him into the vet(during emergency hours!) and they put him under to remove it. The vet said if we had waited, it could have killed him. Seems they just keep working their way up to the point where we can't reach them and need help to get it all out. Good luck, and please let us know how things turn out. Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  6:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Thinking it must have come out...no sneezing, no swelling...I think the oil helped.I'll post back if we end up going in. It's been a rough few days! Thanks for your input. I'd love to live where there are no foxtails!!! Jenny, we're movin' in!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
we still have fox tails in utah at least we did in American fork I don't know about manti where jenny lives

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  8:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sharon-

I am glad it seems to have worked itself out! I hate that plant!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  08:15:46 AM  Show Profile
I've never had a problem with them and my dogs, but I have to be very careful with the horses and their hay. I have seen horses with huge ulcers in their mouths and thoats from eating hay that has foxtail in it. Nasty, noxious weed I wish we could get rid of it here too.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic foxtail up nose Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page