Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  9:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yikes. So that is what two and a half weeks of watering and no weeding can do to a garden! I just spent an hour pulling weeds, picking peas, pulling carrots, and mowing weeds. I can't believe how much the weeds have grown! I literally couldn't see my garden for the weeds!

I should have taken pictures- but I think you ladies would have been scared :p Hopefully I will have my garden back in a few days!

The good new is that my tomato plants are flowering! Yah!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4188 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4188 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  04:44:26 AM  Show Profile
One thing, those big old weeds are easier to pull then the little ones. It will feel good, when you are done, and stand back and look at your neat garden again. Maybe you will find a few surprises too. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:57:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, I feel your pain!! But Michele is right; what a satisfying feeling to stand up (maybe slowly, accompanied by soft groaning noises in my case) and survey the once more tidy garden. And I love weeding after rain softens the ground, too. Happy hours in the garden of weedin'! Nance
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile
Good luck on your war with the weeds. I need to hit it too, but hot weather has kept me indoors this week. We're suppose to cool down nicely starting tomorrow, so no more excuses for me. I'm sure your garden will look picture perfect again soon!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so frustrated. Common Mallow and Stranglevine are my enemies! They just invade so fast and are so persistant! But I am determined to have my garden back!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Go girl go. Determination is half the job.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee -

I have been doing battle since about March. I get the yard in front of the house looking good and then I start on the back. As soon as I make progress on the back, it is out to the front again to pull more weeds. Then I get the vegetable area looking good and the perennial bed needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes I feel I am losing. What is surprising is amongst all of the weeds, the flowers are doing great and blooming like mad. Oh well, I am make some progress but I think the work is never done.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good luck, Alee. I'm losing the weed war! GRRRRR....

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Weeding is good for your soul. For me, it's better than yoga!! When I'm frustrated, or sad, nothing makes me happier than digging those little buggers out of the ground And, yes, when you're finished, you can raise up, stiffly, and look at your happy garden.

Alee, this year, I used Preen (ever heard of it?) and I have to say, my weeds have been much less. I still have that darn stanglevine (seems like the more you pull it, the stronger it comes back!!!) but other than that, things look pretty good. Not as many deep taprooted weeds like last year. I think I'll put another helping of Preen down on July 4th, and that should last the rest of the summer.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
No, I had never heard of Preen before... what is it? Is it organic?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  10:54:15 AM  Show Profile
Alee--
This is the one I purchased...it says Organic, but I do know that the other Preen types are also biodegradable, won't harm earthworms, safe for birds, etc...

http://www.preen.com/newpreen/prdpreenveg/index.jsp

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  11:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link Jonni! I might have to try that under the newspapers I plan on putting down.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  11:52:42 AM  Show Profile
We got a tool called an onion hoe. The onion hoe is my hero. I will take a picture for you girls and post it later today.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  5:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I spent evey spare moment out in the garden today. I think I have the weeds in retreat- but they keep calling up reinforcements... grr....

At least I can SEE my garden now! You would not believe how many weeds I had! I am finding that Bind Weed is a nightmare and it is really challenging my organic sensibilities. I have been having fond thoughts of Roundup bombs on little bindweed groups...

On the up not, I harvested some more peas and carrots today. The tomato plants are doing wonderfully and some of them are going to have little tomatos forming any day now! I am so excited! I can't hardly wait until I can bite into that first lush beautiful tomato! Yum! It makes my mouth water just thinking about it! LOL

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, I'm right there with you. My battle with Dalmation Toadflax rages on. Pulling/digging got ridiculous given the acreage involved. DH invented the neatest tool. Bought a "grabber" at a home improvement store, some sponges, and some zip ties. Now I have a tool that I can dip into my weed killer (I had to give in). I give it a squeeze to get the excess liquid out, then grab the base of the weed, pull upward coating all the leaves, and move on. No bending, no pulling, no overspray. It just kills the one weed I apply herbicide to. I've entered the critical phase where the weed is beginning to set seed in some places, so I just have to do what I can to stop the spread. I got the idea from a friend cleaning out weeds in her iris bed. But I was uncomfortable even in 2 layers of chem-proof gloves at the idea of sticking my hand in poison and applying it to the plants. This way I'm several feet from it all.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  12:42:31 PM  Show Profile
That is such a GREAT idea! I'll have to try it. This year we are trying to keep ahead of the weeds in our huge garden. We have regular weeding days scheduled during the week and so far we've stuck to the plan pretty well. This week has been the exception. We missed 2 days and the weeds are getting pretty tall in the beets and the kohlrabi. We also have pasture and when the sprinklers are running in the pasture we water the lawn and garden with the water from the creek. That creates more of a problem with the weeds but it does cut down on the city water bill. We live outside the city limits but are on city water and it costs us more than the people in town. One of my DD's and her family are gardening with us and that helps alot with the weeding issue. Like they say "Many hands make light work."

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

I feel for you! That ToadFlax must be about as pernacious as the bindweed stuff. I am about to resort to chemicals too- but since I have a smaller plot of land, I am going to try and stick with the "if you pull it enought it will lose strength" philosophy a bit longer!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  08:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Alee, don't you just hate the way the bindweed sticks! Ack. Nature's Velcro. Good news is that once you get it out, it should be better next year. I had that in my flowerbeds pretty bad when I moved in, and I've never had to fight with it much since the first time. Toadflax...50,000 seeds, 10 year dormancy...this is a long term battle. But now I have my poison wand. Like some anti-fairy walking through the field.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! An Anti-Fairy! You crack me up! I can just hear the funeral march music playing around you as walk around zapping that nasty toadflax "Dum, dum da dum..." hehehehe!

Last night when I went out to water...what was peaking through my peas at me?? Bind Weed and Common Mallow!!! GRRR! Who put radioactive fertilizer on the WEEDS?!! I swear! That is the only explanation as to why they are growing so fast!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I totally sympathize. It sounds like your bindweed is the same thing as my morning-glory, the weed I have been lamenting online for several weeks. I suppose I should be a good girl and get back out there and keep on pulling.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  5:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I went out today and was almost done weeding when I cut my finger open. Some wonderful person dropped a broken beer bottle in my garden and I didn't see it until my finger was bleeding. Ouch!

The weeds are in retreat and I keep killing the little baby weeds! I am feeling pretty good about the damage I am inflicting on them.

I have decided I really like the soil in my upper part of the garden because it has so much organic matter in it. I am going to mow when it is really dry so I can mulch my garden and this winter my garden is going to get a really heavy mulching. I love the super rich soil that is thick enough for plants to stand in, but crumbles easily. It makes pulling weeds much easier!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile
OH, Alee! Don't you have some leather gloves? Shoot. I'm so sorry you were injured, how are you typing now? I ope t was't to bd. Darn weeds.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle-

I am not a big glove wearer- I love the feeling of mud on my hands- but yesterday might change my mind. I got so much dirt under my fingernails that it was actually hurting (might be one of the reasons I was cranky last night :) ) and the side and a little of the pad of my middle finger on my right hand got cut. It isn't too bad- basically just like a really bad paper cut. I washed it out really well and it isn't even infected today. I type with the tips of my fingers so typing isn't too bad :)

I am just wondering how broken glass got in to my garden! When I worked the soil this spring I pulled a lot out, but I thought I had gotten it all. I would have thought with as much weeding and planting as I have done, I would have found it by now. I guess all my watering must have brought it to the surface.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Someone needs to invent a glass detector. I'd sure buy it. Would really help at the dump site/archelogical dig site at the farm. I'm afraid someone will get cut on a bottle from years ago working it's way up in the rain/freeze over time. It is fun/dangerous what works its way up out of the ground. What ever happened to being able to run around barefoot? Even in housing developments, a sloppy job site covered over and laid to sod can have nails working up...cringe. I'm so very sorry someone's momentary thoughtless action ended up hurting you.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile
I bought an amish hoe like the one MJ recommended, it is awesoooooome, I think everyone should have one of those, fortunately my 45 day growing season pretty much eliminates the gardening thing, Just kidding, it's probably almost 100 days........... jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jo!

Thanks for the reminder about that type of hoe. I really need to buy one so I am probably going to order one! Do you use it a lot?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic The war on Weeds!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page