CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile
WELL, i've been wonderin' where 'ole jake was this summer .. and sure enuff .. i reached for the hose to water my 'fleurs' this afternoon .. and there he was .. sunnin' himself on TOP of the hose!!! It was about 5 feet long .. sooo ..i'm thinkin' it mighta' been MRS. Jake .. cuz' if memory serves me well .. MR. Jake is about 6 feet long! AND .. yesterday, when i was stepping offa' the porch .. lo' and behold' .. little JAKE-ALIN poked her baby face out from under the step .. yep! i did a fancy dance as i leaped about five feet into the air .. barely missing the bottom step before i came to a landing that woulda' done the olympic gymnastic team proud!

I tried to grab Mrs. Jake with a 'frog gigger' .. but she jus' slithered back home UNDERNEATH OUR PORCH!!! I do believe she is going to need a band-aid on that owie i gave her though! I didn't want to kill her .. jus' scoot her down into the woods!

I 'think' these are 'cow snakes' .. and are supposed to be good for keep mice away .. ha! haven't seen any mice .. sooo .. it mus' be workin'!

i shan't go trippin' barefooted through the grass anytime soon though!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:04:19 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOSH, I would have done more than jumping, I would have been screaming at the same time!!!!

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I think snakes freak me out more than mice - but mice are more annoying.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Frannie can you send me the baby snake UPS please! I'll let him loose in my kitchen and be done with the mice for good forget these cats....geez...I didn't even think about a snake...not too many of them here in VT...and none of them poison. You southern ladies have to deal with them all the time...I spent some time during the summer in TN about 15 years ago and saw more snakes during that 2 wks then I have in my entire life. In TX it was big ole bugs!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile
I would take big ole bugs ANY DAY over a snake. I have the full-bodied shakes just thinking about a 5 ft or 6 ft snake. Ohhhhh Yuck....

[size=1]my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  7:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Next time take us a pic Frannie. We kept a little brown water snake in a habitat for almost 6 months...fed him little baby mice we got at the pet store...I hated to do it but a snakes gotta eat! He passed and we were all sorry to see him go. The cats were fascinated by him and would lay beside the habitat for hours watching him. He was the 3rd snake we have kept. Most of the time we keep them, let the kids observe, sketch, (homeschoolers you know cant pass up a science lesson), feed and then we let them go. We got too attached to Mr. Brown and kept him a bit too long.

We LOVE critters around here! Right now we are down to two cats and one tarantula. Thinking maybe we might be getting a hamster in a little while. I love the little furries.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like snakes as long as I know that they aren't poisonous. Poisonous snakes just aren't my cup of tea! Luckily the Moscow area doesn't have any native poisonous snakes, which is a bit better than my home town which had rattle snakes pretty much everywhere. I have even almost stepped on a baby rattlesnake before! Yikes! And a lot of the guys from the area go to the golf course to "hunt" rattlesnakes.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  9:19:59 PM  Show Profile
i'm told we have copperheads and rattlers too .. but .. the olde timer's around here PROMISE me they've never actually SEEN one! jake did 'rattle his tail' when i jabbed him with the frog gigger. i don't mind them 'near' the house .. but i don't like them living UNDER it! honey hunk thinks they are a 'good thing' .. but i think i'm going to 'secretly' get some of that SNAKE-B-GONE stuff and spray it under the house!!!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  9:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Rachel!! Only snakes we have here are the little garter snakes, completely harmless...but I still hate 'em! My Lily, a yellow lab, discovered her first snake tonite in the garden. She pawed it a bit, looked at it curiously, then came in the house and hid under the dining room table. Lord she's a big baby!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie--
In our area of the Bluegrass, we have Black Rat Snakes that get 5-6 feet long...in fact, if you look in the Barnyard Buddies section, I posted (see here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10229)this a while back--my dh found him coiled along our fenceline. Sure glad it wasn' me!

I sent my photo to our the extension servie at UK Ag to tell me if he was a "good" snake or one that I should be concerned about around our animals. He declared him a "handsome black rat snake" who was VERY beneficial to us. So, he and I will have a healthy respect of one another and stay out of each other's way!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Yuck, I hate snakes. When we were living in California two of our dogs were bitten by rattlesnakes, very expensive to treat. I don't even like to look at snakes at the zoo.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  08:55:26 AM  Show Profile
If you guys post a picture of a snake on this board, please put a warning in the headline, so we don't open it by mistake!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  11:20:29 AM  Show Profile
I think snake are cool. Love frogs, salamanders, lizards and such. Could never keep a tarantula as a pet, although I do remember as a kid the neighbor across the courtyard of our townhouse complex had one on her upper balcony. It was huge. We had the out skin of a snake we found in the yard on our homeschool shelf for years. Mind you, we don't have indigenous poisonous snakes on our side of the mountains of Washington.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:26:48 PM  Show Profile
jonni .. i do believe the 'cow snake' and the 'rat snake' are one and the same .. i believe it goes by several names.

while i do NOT want to be steppin' on one .. and would prefer that they live in the WOODS rather than under my house ... i'm o.k. with them .. surely don't want to encounter any 'piziness' ones though!

wonder why so many of us are 'afeared' of snakes? back to adam and eve mayhaps?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:28:07 PM  Show Profile
p.s. there are so many other critters (like possums and raccoons) that could give us every bit as bad a bite .. and perhaps a little case of rabies at the same time!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  7:29:24 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah! and i think my biggest 'scare' would be if one of our 'snake-ettes' were to drop out of a tree or from under the porch where we keep the dog food .. onto my head! guaranteeeee i'd invent a new dance then! (not to mention some new 'words'!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  8:07:04 PM  Show Profile
I laughed so hard when I read about "Jake" and his/her extended family! It reminded me of a similar intance I had last week when I went to check the ripeness of my cherries on my tree. I came across a racer and all I had on my feet were my sandals. Needless to say, I didn't get to the cherries on that tree. I figured Mr. Racer could enjoy his sun out by that tree without me distrubing him.
All I can say is "YIKES"!

Dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  04:45:50 AM  Show Profile
I used to have "sneaky snake" in my hay area....My first encounter was when I picked up a few flakes of hay and caught the tail disappearing.

I had been missing chicken eggs for about 3 weeks... seeing the snake explained that...I left him alone since I needed all the help I could get in the mouse department with all the goat feed, chicken feed, etc. that wound up scattered everywhere.....I had two good barn cats but old sneaky snake balanced the playing field...

I couldn't decide what would be worse...sneaky snake in my milkroom and no mice or just mice....I almoswt think I would prefer sneaky snake...they are not near as nasty as mice

Peace, Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic JAKE .. THE SNAKE! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page