Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What possessed with this brick idea!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What possessed with this brick idea!!!!!!! Next Topic  

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  9:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I was just helping out my dh, if you lay bricks flat
along your flower beds it is easier to mow and less likey to cut off your flowers or herbs. 2 years ago, he keep running over the butterfly bush. It finally bloomed last year when I staked around it. So it is the length of my small mobile. Now 60 feet didn't sound so bad when I started. The small beds in the back yard are all done and working on the front. I swear I have meet the endless 60 ft. I have been working on it off and on for over a couple of weeks now. Due to back challenges, have to take breaks. Yesterday I was so close to finishing the back side that I went for it. Boy, did I got for it. I woke up this morning wondering what truck ran over me. Yes, I am laughing at myself. I feel old today!!!!!!
Looked at it and decided I definitely better take a break. I have 3/4 of it done and only the 1/4 to go. Isn't it funny how it sounds so great when we start out and then in the midst of the project we wonder, WHAT IN THE WORLD POSSESSED ME TO DO THIS? Beat the rest of you have some stories, let's hear them.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  9:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I Carol Sue! I am so glad to hear your brick project is going so well, but not so happy to hear that you are suffering for it!

One year I decided to build a dry wall brick wall. Where you stack the bricks in such a way that you don't need morter. I ended up making a big mess and never did finish it.

Right now my big project is trying to tame the weeds in my back yard. Being gone for two weeks did not help the matter at all! I am having to pull strangle vine out, as well as common mallow and some sort of plant that looks like ruhbarb, but I am not really sure what it is.

At this point, I am starting to wonder if I should just let the weeds take the garden...I won't of course...I am too stubborn! LOL

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  9:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay, the brick wall is funny. Sounds like attempts at other things that I have done.
Taming weeds, the ultimate game to try and win!!!!!! Keep going, you worked too hard for that garden.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  08:57:27 AM  Show Profile
I love my brick lined beds. They were a treat I uncovered after moving in. After the first year of fixing I now have only minor repairs to do, mine are set at an angle, but when I got tired, the rest got laid flat. I think women must be designed to forget pain, because I keep eyeing another spot to convert to flowerbeds and collecting bricks.

I'm groaning today too. Yesterday we hauled off the last of the large objects dumped on our farm. 6-8 hours, I can't remember. Kind of a blur of fine dust. Mt. St. Helen's ash, heavy lifting, being thankful for leather gloves, and learning to drive a backhoe.

Bonus came in looking at a clean spot, well, except for the little stuff. I may fence it off and call it the archeological dig site. It will take years to sift out the broken glass and bits of metal that I don't want imbedded in anyone. I've got the antique car bodies upright now, and can work on planting the area to native sunflowers etc.; turn it into art. I did find some neat old bottles, and a book that somehow survived being burned, buried, snowed on, made into chipmunk bedding...a railroad manual. So, the aches will go away, and the work we accomplish will remain much longer and make us smile when we no longer smell like salve.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Funny, how this topic came up. Ever since last year, I've been working on a garden bed in the back of my townhome. It's not too big, maybe 4' x 10'??, and I tilled and amended the soil last year and planted a couple of perennials. I lined the border with antique bricks with the maker's logo and used them to line the border of the garden. It's very casual and rustic looking, but I like it. There's a place nearby that sell bricks, rock, stones, and garden ornaments and I've been picking up a few old bricks here and there. This year, I added more plants and annuals, and bought a copper solar operated water feature, which works well when the sun hits the solar panel. This weekend, I had someone help me with a rainbarrel set-up and before we installed the barrel, I used a black ground cover to prevent weeds and used pins to keep it in place. Then we put the barrel on a makeshift platform (2 pieces of wood, supported with cobblestones) and covered the cover with 3 bags of river stones that I got at Home Depot. It looks nice and I'm happy that I have the rain barrel, as there is no water spigot in the back. I would keep filling up and trapsing watering cans and that is a pain! (literally!) After that was all done, I couldn't believe how tired I was...I sat down and went right out to sleep for hours. I woke up the next day.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  2:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Michelle! A railroad manual! That is amazing! I hope you keep that safe, because that is a true treasure!! Your place sounds like it is coming along pretty nicely! I am so excited for you!

Judy- You garden sounds great! I am so jealous of your rainbarrel. But if I can't have one, then I am glad you do! :) It sounds like your garden is wonderful!

Anyone want to post pictures of their projects?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  3:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, what fun to find finds.
Judy I love the sound of your garden, your rainbarrel.
Isn't it amazing how much trouble bricks can get us in. Was going to go work on it today but neighbor having insulation blown in and way to noisey for me. Will do a few more bricks maybe later this evening. I love the sounds of your garden Judy and those sunflowers what a cool idea Michelle.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  3:44:19 PM  Show Profile
okay since carol sue is my mom i can tell you she is a crazy woman. its is not 60 ft the back off the bed is straight and 60 ft the other side is a wavy pattern which is more like 70-75ft so if you add the 2 together it is more like 130-135ft. this is not the reason why her back is really sore though. she had a grand idea several months ago to move a huge plate glass mirror on top of her high boy dressers(did i mention she did this by herself). the mirror is about 9ft by 3ft. she ended up straining her back and we finally took her to the docs because of it. so the thing to know about her is she has several ideas that go arye because she gets impatient and doesnt ask for help.(i think she is finally getting the hint from above that she needs to ask for help)
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  3:47:18 PM  Show Profile
DD I am laughing hysterically because it is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA HHHHHAAAA HHHHHHHAAAA

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  3:58:57 PM  Show Profile
That is so cute, Carol Sue...I can totally relate! I tend to overstretch myself with the lifting of heavy things, like bags of rocks and boxes. I have to remind myself to use my legs, not my back, or I'll really regret it later. It's just me, so I have to finagle moving things myself. My garden wasn't really planned on paper, it sort of evolved. I can't wait for the first major rainfall to try out my rainbarrel. Thanks, Alee and Carol Sue.....I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture. It's not the best garden, but it's my little oasis/project. How great, Michelle, that you're finding things on your 'digs'. You should really hold on to those items, and maybe display some in you garden. That tells the story of your house. Very cool!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  7:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Judy- too bad that you can't post pictures, but you sure described it wonderfully!

I about ruined my knees last year throwing around extra heavy hay bales. I was pretty out of shape, and I didn't realize the new load weighed about 75-90# each. I was more used to the 50-60# small bales. We are strong women, but we do need to take care of our bodies!! LOL

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile
What amazing people you all are. Wow! Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I just love reading about your projects, the laughter and aches. It gets me going for the day ahead. I saw the cutest birdhouses at MJF made out of all sorts of things. One I remember best had an old glove for the roof. I may repurpose some of my finds that way.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job finding ways to repurposing your finds already! I can't wait till you show us some pictures!! *hint hint!*

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey I agree with the hint hint but would have nooo idea how to post. have to borrow dd digital one of these days and figure a few things out.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  3:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Grrr...dialup. I'm working on it... :)
Here's the before...

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jun 26 2007 5:29:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  5:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I love it!!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
cool and you learned how to post one, I have dial up too.
Slow but certainly glad that I have it.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What possessed with this brick idea!!!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page