Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Quilt pieces, wedding ring quilt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Quilt pieces, wedding ring quilt? Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering what quilt pieces go for? My Grandma has 80 rings that were put together for a wedding ring quilt probably at least 60+ years ago. The fabric is very vintage and considering that there are 80 of the rings I am wondering what the value of them all are. My Grandma was asking $40 and I thought that was a little high? But then again, I know nothing about quilts and fabric!!
-Elizabeth

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:17:42 PM  Show Profile
that's a good price in this area.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are the rings already assembled into blocks? Is all that needs to happen is the blocks be assembled, backed and quilted?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I just looked at quilt squares yesterday at an antique mall. They were small, about 9", Ohio star, they were 23 in a bundle for $25.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee, it is just the rings themselves, but they are odd. They aren't circles or anything but shaped more like this: <> They would need to be put on a block. It's just that they are awfully old, and may even be from around 1900 as the fabric looks like feed sacks and such. She has some really old quilt tops (would need a back) that she wants $30 for. I'm trying to find out the value so maybe I can sell them for her on eBay or such.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in buying some quilt tops. do you have any pictures?
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't have pictures right now but could get some next week if you are interested. I forget what designs were on them but they were pretty. The problem is, my Grandma is a smoker and I know that many people do NOT like items from a smoking home. I know that material should be a little easier to sell since it can be washed several times to get the smoke smell out (as opposed to books and stuff that are actually ruined by smoke). But that is one reason I hesitate to deal with her stuff, but I know that she really needs the money.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:36:09 PM  Show Profile
You have to be really careful and know what you're doing to wash those old quilt tops or you could end up with a pile of threads. Best to just sell them as is and let the buyer deal with the odor and smoke. When you get the pictures, you can either post them or pm me. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mikesgirl-
Yes, I wouldn't dare was them myself! The thread is very old and looks almost like silk thread or something (again, I know nothing about quilts!). I will get the photos when I go to her house next week. I have a garden there so need to do some weeding!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile
I bet you could probably sell them on here, similar to Alee. I just bought 2 vintage quilt tops on ebay earlier this year, they are both full/queen size...one is grandmas flower garden, and the other is one i have never seen before...I paid $60 and $70 for these, and I think I got a good deal, judging from what I see for sale and other sales on ebay. They are both from the early 1900's. I would be interested...good luck...jess
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  04:16:33 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Jessica - you could probably sell them here fairly easily. I would also be interested in some.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile
Add me to that "interested in buying" list please
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I didn't realize that I could sell them here! I will get some pictures and more information about them next time I am at her house and post them both here. I know that she would be thrilled to have the money! She has been a widow for 20 years and is living off of about $484 SS and her odd jobs of sewing and carving (she is an awesome artist and her carvings and sewing and painting is beautiful!!). She found these quilt tops at a garage sale many moons ago and has had them stored in a chest. She had plans of finishing the quilts but decided that she could use the money more and has had pain in her hand so can't sew much anymore. She has made both my children miniture quilts for their births and those will be treasures always.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  08:25:01 AM  Show Profile
cool. post them and let us bid like madwomen!!
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  05:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I would be interrested as well, I do not care about she being a smoker. Double wedding quilt blocks are pretty rare and they surely would fetch more than 40 $. Please put picture of the carving and paintings too, this can be very neat if she could get more money. The work migh fall on your shoulders though... good luck with it, your a generous heart.
corinne
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  06:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I think bidding for this ended yesterday afternoon, in another thread.
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Quilt pieces, wedding ring quilt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page