Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 ArtWear and FarmgirlFashion and BLOGSPOT question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic ArtWear and FarmgirlFashion and BLOGSPOT question Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Well, it looks like I am going to be a single mom now...at least for awhile. I need to support myself and my children, with a little help from the Army and my parents. What I want to do is make and sell artwear from vintage and thrifted clothing and one of a kind farmgirl fashions from vintage, thrifted, and recycled fabrics. I have plenty of supplies on hand to get started, but would like some advice on marketing. I am concidering an Etsy store and know of one craft market in a neighboring town that offers a good deal to local fabric artists (how good I do not know, just a tip from an aquaintance). There is also a big craft fair at Rockingham the first weekend in December.

Specific Questions:

1. Any tips for being successful on Etsy? I've noticed that some stores there seem to be stagnant (no sales...ever) while others seem to really move the merchandise.

2. Is it legal to use comercial patterns for clothing you intend to sell or will everything have to be of my own design? I have some OLD patterns that I would like to use with vintage fabrics, but do not know how the law handles this.

3. How do I keep track of reciepts for tax purposes when most of my supplies are thrifted? Will the IRS accept handwritten thrift store recipets?

4. Any tips of displaying and photographing clothing?

Thanks for your help girls. MJ is my model for a single mom... before I was here myself I admired her, but now she is my heroine.

Trina

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on Jun 26 2007 2:27:26 PM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Here is my advice and what little I know.

First check with your state to see what type of business licenses are required etc, how to charge sales tax etc.

1. To be successful on Etsy is just like any other business. You must put in the work (and consequently time). From what I have seen sucessful sellers post new items daily, are active on the etsy message boards, are active on other message boards and forums, have blogs and advertise. There are several Zines that accept advertising (Croq is one). Get business cards and give them to everyone. Email everyone you know and ask them to email everyone they know.

Also the biggest thing on Etsy that gives people an edge is finding something original that not everyone does. Right now jewelry and kids clothes are really tough areas on Etsy because there are so many people doing it.

2. It depends on the clothing pattern and the company that makes it. Some have a fair use policy that allows you to make and sell certain things. Others do not. Check with the companies website and I am sure you will find info.

3. Don't know about Thrift Store receipts for the IRS. Again check with you accountant and with your local laws.

4. A variety of photos with different views and angles is best. Personally I do not like to buy clothing that is pictured with people wearing it. I would rather see it on a manequin or on a hanger. A lot of people sell hair ribbons and bands on etsy and show people wearing them! GROSS!

Also one last piece of advice if you think finances are tight I would NOT spend a lot of money buying things to make and sell on etsy. Start with just a few things and buy more as needed. Just with any brick and morter store there are risks and the business could fail. You dont want to be stuck with a whole lot of inventory and no cash if that happens.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  06:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the advice, Julie. As for buying a bunch of stuff, there is absolutely no need for that. I have enough supplies to open my own craft and fabric store! I intend to work with what I have for now and as I make money begin buying what I need.

Thanks, Trina

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  08:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I dont know much about Etsy but I wanted to say GoodLuck to you Corrine!

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Like Julie recomended, I started a blog (or tried to) which leads to the Blogspot question...I cannot get that crazy blog to post my photographs! I have a photo in my bio that came up perfectly, but cannot get them to show in my posts. The funny thing is I had a few photos in my intital post, but they were to big so I went back to change it. Now I cannot get them to show up at all. Any ideas?

Trina

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Can't help you there! I use wordpress because I hated blogspot! Several around here use it an may be able to help!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  4:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Not sure where you are, Corrine, but Charlotte has a HUGE flea/antique market the first and third weekends of each month. I can send you a link, if you're interested. I think maybe that would be a good venue for your ideas.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Ditto to everything that Julie said. Blogs are THE big way to market your business now. In fact, a lot of people are using them in place of websites then driving people to Etsy or eBay. I'm not sure about the rules at Blogspot or some of the others but Typepad encourages people to promote their businesses. However you do have to pay for Typepad but it starts at about $8.95 per month. I would stick with something free for now. Can't wait to see your treasrues!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:04:13 AM  Show Profile
I sell a few things on etsy, but I not as deligent about listing like I should. I think that is really a key for etsy. list often even if it is 1 item at a time. Etsy is so much cheaper than ebay. i really do not like ebay.

I love my blog and i do write to it about 2 times a week. I get many hits on my blog and it is free.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  07:05:19 AM  Show Profile
I would call and see if you can get into any shows. I am sure they have them in NC, just like everywhere else. I posted 2 recycled bags I got at the one I did this weekend.

Etsy and ebay are hard markets. Ebay, everyone is looking for a discount, and etsy is slow until the christmas market (unless you have a established clientele). At art shows, people are going to shop and spend money. They are looking for unique hand made stuff and are willing to pay top dollar for something. Also it is easier to sell something when they can see and feel it vs a picture. Call around, you may be able to get in a few (I usually send in applications starting Jan/Feb for summer shows).

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  07:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Besides etsy, I am planning on the Rockingham Christmas Bizzare, the Carthage Buggy Festival (spring), the Dogwood Festival (spring), and concidering for next year the Ft. Bragg Craft Fair (but it is a hard show to get into). There are a few area stores I am going to aproach with my work and a couple classy flea markets to look into. I am 3 hours from Charlotte, so that is not currently an option.

I finaly have my blog up and running! The photos are still much larger than I wanted them, but at least they are there! Come take a look.
http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/ Please let me know if the album works. Thanks.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  12:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Corrinne,

I have a blog with blogspot. What I found with it is that if you use Picasa to upload your photos to there is an icon right on the page that you can post directly from.
After I downloaded Picasa AND IT IS FREE... When you load your photos from your camera onto your computer it will automatically send them to Picasa as well.
This is easy to do. Picasa also has an web album you can keep. I just started using this feature.
Picasa is hosted by Google, so you need a Google account...another freebee.
Hope this helps.

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Pamela. I have figured out how to get photos from photobucket to my blog and am happy with that for now. I tried Picasa and couldn't find an upload button (guess that is because they upload automaticly). I'll have to see if my new photos are there since I put some on the computer last night.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  02:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Trina, You may already know this but thought I would throw it out there....

Blogspot also gives you the option to upload your pictures straight from your computer harddrive if you have a program to edit them on before the upload.. You just select "browse" and go to the file that you have saved.

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

Drop by anytime for a Latte ~
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic ArtWear and FarmgirlFashion and BLOGSPOT question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page