Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bats!!! Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  6:48:50 PM  Show Profile
We found a bat flying around my three year old daughters bedroom last week while she was asleep...yikes!!! The cats were chasing it and the bat was screeching and my husband woke me up at 5am saying "I don't mean to alarm you but there is a bat in Rebecca's room". Well, considering that she is a little girl and asleep at the time we did kill the bat and have it tested and luckily it turned out to be negitive for rabies.
I have always had a fear of bats and am even more freaked out! That is the first bat that has been in our house and we think it got in the upstairs a day or two earlier when my husband opened the crawl space/storage area to get the air conditioner out. I didn't think bats were in there but when we checked there were a couple small holes in the plaster which maybe he was able to fit in and we found a couple bat droppings. My husband has since fixed the plaster and I hope that it is the last of bats in our house. Is anyone else fearful of bats? Have a bat story to tell? I know that they eat a lot of bugs and are usually harmless but they scare me!!!
-Elizabeth

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I like bats! They eat nasty mosquitos and other biting bugs at night. When Geek Boy was nine, we had a batman party and watched the movie then went outside bat watching.

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  7:56:32 PM  Show Profile
OHH I LOVE bats! I put Bat houses all around our yard! We have TONS of bats!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  8:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Bats are good except when in a 3 yr olds room. We have bats here and and they sure do their work. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like bats too- when they are outside doing their jobs! Inside- not so much. We had one at our cabin and we put a bucket over it on the wall and slid a piece of paper between it and the wall. We then released it outside. As long as it hasn't bitten anyone I probably wouldn't kill it, but who knows what I would do if one was around Nora! I get pretty over protective about Nora! Just call me Mama Bear.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger and my two oldest boys were just tiny..like 3 and 6 months old (They are 29 and 27 years old now FYI..haha) and we lived in Minnesota..I had opened my fireplace..in the fall, thinking I would get it cleaned out to use it in winter...we had only lived in this remote house for a few months, and hadn't used it. Apparently bats lived in there.. I saw what I thought was a sleeping bat and closed it up quick (glass door) and didn't think much of it...well, I guess one got out because a couple days later my older son was playing in the living room (where the fire place was) and said..hey Mom there's a bird in the house..I went to see and when I saw it was a bat I grabbed the kids and ran and locked us in the bedroom..since husband had gone to town (27 miles each way) we sat in that room for hours. When he got home it was on the kitchen curtain. He opened the window (no screen) and it flew out. Hmmm, now why didn't I think of that?? Cuz I was terrified!!!!! I think snakes are the only other creature I am as scared of. ugh.. I hope you got the last one out of the house Elizabeth!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:07:00 PM  Show Profile
This is funny that Bats have come up! Just tonight my grandchildren and I were sitting outside waiting for bats to fly by! I love them to but not in my house! I love the bat house idea! And aren't those fruit bats the best?!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Okay, bats outside are fine, inside, no thank you. When I was 8 years old we lived in this house in the country, we were having a breakfast, my mom and dad, my sister and brother and here comes a bat flying in the back door and another one joined him. We ran for the bedroom and Dad and mom took the broom to try to shoooo that bat and his friend right out door. It took them awhile. Bats in the house, not so much.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I found a dead, dried up bat under the big crocheted rug we have on the floor of our living room in the cabin. I have no idea how it got in the house, but I worry about it every night when I go to sleep now. Freaks me out.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile
eeeeeek and yuuuuuuuuuuucccckkky!! that sums it alll up but bats outside ok with me.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  05:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, bat stories. I have too many to tell. But I sure do not like them. Even outside they give me the creeps. UGH!

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile
There is nothing like a bat flapping around your house to make you feel totally helpless. But they are such good little creatures. When we were small, a bat came down through the chimney and flew into my parents bedroom. All of us kids had very vivid imaginations and just knew that this was the "dreaded vampire bat come to suck out all of our blood!" Well, of course it wasn't, but my parents had a heck of a time calming down three frantic children. Now? We all appreciate the good that they do. And keep a healthy distance away from them. :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  05:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Bats don't bother me, but if one got inside my house, well....that would freak me out! When I sit outside at night, it's cool to watch them fly above. I see quite a few of them, and they are beneficial as they eat bugs, such as mosquitos...which I hate!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  7:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Sherri for some reason your story has me cracking up!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bats!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page