Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soy or no soy Next Topic  

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  12:50:28 PM  Show Profile
I have read alot of conflicting info is soy healthy or not ? Dr mercola's website shows links to many other doctors that say no soy but then there are others doctors and diets that say soy instead of dairy??? What are yalls opinions??
The garlic Lady

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like soy. I drank it instead of dairy until I was about 13 because I was really allergic to all dairy. When I got my blood drawn, I always had the lowest cholesterol out of my whole family. For the most part, I ate exactly what my family ate except for what I was allergic to. My mom was really good about only serving food that I could eat, for the most part. She didn't want me to feel left out or anything. So far I haven't had any issues with having lived on soy for so long. I don't drink a whole lot now, just because I often forget to buy it. But when I do- I way over do it! LOL I love drinking Vanilla Soymilk. Yum! I get cravings for it sometimes!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile
I think everything in Moderation. I have read both sides of the soy debate.
The only time I would say to be careful is if you have thyroid issues, extra soy can cause extra issues in that case from what I have read.
I also think it is best to try and stay clear of the highly processed soy "junk foods"

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Simply Stitches
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  5:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Soy is natural, and a healthy choice if you like it. Depending on what it is made with (other ingredients added to it), soy should be mild and pretty versitile. I love raw soy beans, you can buy them frozen, defrost in a collander with cold water and just pop them out of the shell. YUM! They are buttery tasting, and delicious, my kids eat them up quick. I don't like tofu, but that's just a texture thing for me! Soy milk tastes good, but like Alee, the vanilla is good, but higher calorie and more ingredients to worry about! I agree with Bridgett, moderation is the key to anything.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  6:12:53 PM  Show Profile
One thing I watch out with regarding soy is that soy mimics estrogen and can cause a girl to start developing early. I stopped Grace's soy consuption from daily when she turned two. Zoe, in addition to nursing, drinks soy milk with her meals. that will stop daily when she is two. they still drink it (Grace that is) on occasion, but as for milk, Grace drinks rice milk with me. we use some other soy products but not in excessive amounts.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile
No soy here except fermented. I have read that unfermented soy can interfere with thyroid function and hormones. So now we do miso, tamari things like that --- never did like tofu anyhow! ;)

I would much prefer to have milk animals - raw milk is so much better for you! Dr. Mercola can seem out there sometimes but often he's right on.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jun 20 2007 07:00:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Good and bad - good protein, supposed to be good for menopausal symptoms. Vanilla soymilk tastes good, but it's loaded with sugar. Soy nuts give me really, really, really bad gas!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  12:34:56 AM  Show Profile
I don't use soy much at all. I don't use processed foods much and none of us are crazy about tofu. I havn't had to deal with any milk intolerance with anyone in the family and since we have all the fresh raw milk we can drink (and use to make our own dairy products) I have never tried soy milk.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  04:49:00 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the moderation idea. It's not a black and white issue, but an individual one. My horse's chiropractor (a holistic veterinarian) says that there are enzymes in soy that inhibit growth; so I don't feed it to young stock, and he doesn't feed it to his kids. I have recently started taking some soy again myself though, since I'm perimenopausal. Years ago, I used to make our own tofu and okara, and it was good. But in those days it was unthinkable that you could find organic tofu at Walmart!

And I'd suggest to everyone that you take the stuff you find on Dr Mercola's website with a grain of salt. A friend of mine uses him as her personal physician, and some of the stuff she says he comes up with makes me feel he's WAY out there into the land of conjecture and downright absurd. Use your good judgment.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  9:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Switching to soy after becoming lactose intolerant I began to develop many symptoms and conditions I had never experienced before.
Cystic breasts, fibroids,two pre cancerous lumps the size of golf balls and excessive bleeding all in a very short period of time after making the switch. The phytoestrogens can be a trigger for abnormal growth of reproductive tissue and in my case that was true. After doing extensive research and talking to both nutritionist, oncologist and radiologist I came to the conclusion that soy was not for me. Two years later, no additional growths or problems as I am soy free.

As for soy being "natural"...think again. It is perhaps the single most genetically engineered/ altered seed there is grown. Far from natural in the terms we are striving for as organic consumers.
Here is a link w/ other links to some info if you are curious:
www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/soy.htm

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jun 20 2007 10:05:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  04:56:00 AM  Show Profile
I use organic soy beans and make my own tofu and okara as well. I will sometimes grind them up and make soy milk for use in recipes. I don't use it all the time, just when I think I'm going to make something that my daughter may eat since she is allergic to dairy. I think as with everything moderation is the key.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  05:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Just info -- if you know then disregard. Most people who are allergic to milk aren't really allergic to milk but to the protein casein in cow's milk. Some are truly lactose intolerant but most people can tolerate goat's milk better than cow's. The protein is not the same. This is so much better for you than soy or formula's for babies! Also pasturized milk is different than raw.

Something to try for those of you using soy for allergies -- soy is actually more allergy causing than fresh raw milk. Add in all the estrogenic properties, genetic modifications, and the bodies inabiility to process unfermented soy properly and it's just not worth it in my book.

Oh and I'm sorry lady but I disagree about everything in moderation. There are some things we just shouldn't eat -- I'm not saying this about soy in particular necessarily -- but you wouldn't eat poison in moderation would you? Yet we do it every day.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jun 21 2007 05:56:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile
I don't use soy because it's one of the most genetically modified crops worldwide, right up there with corn, and also because of the estrogen mimicry issue.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:13:51 PM  Show Profile
I love soy milk and don't experience any problems when I drink it. However, if I eat soy chips or nuts, I spend hours running back and forth to the bathroom. I've heard so many stories on soy being great for you and soy being evil for you, blah blah blah. I agree that moderation is the key.... However, I didn't know about it mimicking estrogen so I think I will avoid it since we're trying to get pregnant!

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com --- my etsy shop:
http://rachelleigh.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't use any soy product unless it's organic. Also I think I've read that soybeans are processed chemically. Definately go organic if you choose soy!!

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  8:08:06 PM  Show Profile
People with any autoimmune diseases should not use "soy". It gives your immune system a kick and if you have an autoimmune problem then it will only exasperate it further. There are 40 different autoimmune diseases but basically it is where your immune system attacks a part of your body thinking it is bad or foreign and needs to be killed off. I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis(killed my thyroid), Rhuematoid Arthritis and Osteoporosis. My immune system just keeps attacking. Please google autoimmune diseases and see if you have any of the 40 and if you do please don't use "soy" products.

Gateway Girl

Guardian Angels surround me and keep all enemies from me!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile
There is also an issue with breast cancer. If you have a cancer that is estrogen fed, soy is something to stay completely away from. My girls have milk allergies and it is difficult to deal with that and not look at soy. But we have gone to almond milk to take the place of dairy. It's been a life style change for the whole family, not one my men are particulary happy with, but they are dealing. They buy their own milk if they want it.

I believe in moderation in most things, abstinence in some things and being careful in ALL things. I also think that we need to be very intune with our own body's needs and sometimes using muscle testing is a good way to figure those things out.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soy or no soy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page