sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have silkies? If so, are your silkies wanting to brood all the time? Mine just hang out in the nest all day.

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  4:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I have buff bantam silkies. I read that they are great setters, but mine is not. MY 2 frizzles are doing all the sitting right now.

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple bantam silkies mixed in with my other laying hens..I have a very mixed up bunch of banties...they are fun to watch..for sure different than the more barnyard hens..and a special favorite of my youngest daughter..they are good layers but sure don't get broody enough to set on eggs. I have hatched some that are for sure from them..but under another hen. Mine are a buff and a blue.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  6:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Silkies!!! Fianlly someone else who has a passion for these cuties.

Mine go broody at the same time too. And since I only have one nest box, two will set the whole time together and tag team it.

One wants to set right now, but I keep pulling the eggs and she gets mad.

I'm ready to get rid of a few non bearded and start over with purer stock. I only have 2 bearded and 5 non-bearded. The best bearded ones were murdered by dogs a few years ago and I haven't been able to find anyone around here to get more.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  07:40:07 AM  Show Profile
It's nice to talk to fellow silkie lovers. I think their faces are sooo sweet. Their little eyes just speak to me, somehow. Mine are also cranky when I take the eggs. Thing Two (weird name, I know) has taken to pecking at me when I go for the eggs.

They are often in the same nest, and I worry that they will get to hot in there.

Have you experienced your silkies being on the bottom of the pecking order? Especially when in with larger hens.

Mine are black silkies and the bigger hens have plucked all their head fuzzies off. I am presently working on building a coop, just for them and expanding the flock. Hopefully, they will be happier away from the "mean" girls.

I'm rambling about chickens........OMG, what has my world come to????

See ya in the Hen House.

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The world has come to a very good place when we can sit down and chat about chickens for a while! I loved collecting eggs when I worked at the ranch and the chickens always were in the back ground, clucking, and cooing and bragging about their eggs! I thought they were sweet. I can't wait till I can have my own that I raise from chicks so they will know me and let me pick them up!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Silkie Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page