Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Duck behavior Next Topic  

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
Does anyone have a useful duck behavior book? I have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry, as well as Barnyard in Your Backyard. I am looking for something more indepth about the inner workings of Duck Duck's noggin!

When I go to pick her up, she squats and flattens her body to the ground. her neck stretches straight out. It's as if she is ready to mate

Married to my hubby & the Army, my Meezer, birdies and my sweet Duck Duck!

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  10:40:07 AM  Show Profile
New laying hens will do that. It is an attempt to make themselves as flat to the ground as possible to avoid being snatched up by overhead predators (or so I've been told).
Di
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
Hehe. I hope she doesn't think I'm going to snatch her up. Usually, after she flattens, I itch her at the base of her tail feathers on both sides and then her rear end sticks straight up in the air!

Thanks for your imput

Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple of my laying hens that do that practically on top of my feet! I always pick them up and cuddle them for a little while, then they want to be put back down.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
I never thought that a duck could be cuddly, but she has proved me wrong. I am sad that she is alone (her mate died almost a year ago from the heat) and I have debated whether or not to buy another. I don't think the neighbors would like us having another...but she has a loud honk when she gets mad if I leave her. She is very attached to me.

Any suggestions? I have tried putting a mirror in her pen for company. I am tempted to try using a white decoy. Are breeds intermixable once the members are adults? I thought about adopting an older flockmate, but do not know how she would react.

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Oh Megan, what a great picture....and what a lovey duck!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
Bev,

I have just gotten the biggest laugh of my life -well maybe not life... but atleast in the last 6 months since my husband shipped out! I just read your blog about your sweet goats! I laughed so hard, I practically fell off my chair. How amazing! You are lucky to have such comical creatures...

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile
hey Megan..so nice to se a picture of ya and Duck Duck looks so sweet. Is there a duck rescue near you that might have an unwanted needing a loving home? that might be an option.or an area humane society might have one to give Duck Deuck a companion.
she sure looks sweet.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Duck behavior Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page