Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  12:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane's "Stitching Room" book is an amazing guide to tatting! I was able to pick it up while traveling with my daughter in airports. It is tons of fun and I am well and truley addicted. Just add it to my list of crafting addictions I guess!

I will post some pictures when I finish a project...

Alee

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile
I learned tatting with a shuttle from my husband's great Aunt.
I love tatting lace it is really additive.
You will be hooked on it a while.Ha. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  1:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Yay Alee!! That is on my list of things to learn this summer! I have been crocheting some sage green lace edging right now..for no particular project..with size #30 cotton. I love the look of tatting though, and want to do some soon.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  1:58:12 PM  Show Profile
How fun!! I am hoping to learn to tat as well. I have seen so many beautiful projects and have added tatting to my list of many things I really really need to learn to do!!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  2:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Alee. I want to learn too. I did teach myself a long time ago using a shuttle but could only make a chain and couldn't figure how to attach. But now with MJ's book I am on my way. YAY!! MaryBeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  2:14:45 PM  Show Profile
YAY Alee! I just got my book at my local Borders store and I'm thinking about both the crochet and the tatting. I learned tatting with a shuttle years ago and it was ok, but the needle somehow looked easier, I guess because I sew and am used to handling a needle anyway. One more thing on my list!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a link to tons of patterns. I haven't tried any yet but am going to here soon!

http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/3737.asp

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Jun 11 2007 4:09:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Very Cool! I wanna see pictures!

It is on my list of things to do.... I have 6 spools of tatting thread (on sale at Hobby Lobby for 0.50 each)....
One day....

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  5:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Alee~did you find it easy to get the hang of? I crochet a lot and am teaching myself to knit. When I received MJ's book I noticed the tatting and really want to try it. This time of year it is hard to find spare time for much but I think I can squeeze some tat time in.

Keep tatting~
mag
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  9:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mag-

It is really easy to get the hang of! You just have to learn one stitch really. Everything else is just manipulating that one stitch to get different designs and the loops. The hardest thing so far is reading some of the patterns because not everyone uses the same notation and the first time you try to make something it usually turns out a bit wonky!

Right now I am trying to make baby booties!! Wish me luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  04:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, My husbands great Aunt, Clarissa, could also tat. She used a shuttle and tried to teach me when we first married 34 yrs ago. Lord I could'nt understand and gave up. She has been gone for many years now and oh how I wish I had stuck with it. I have beautiful sets of sheets and pillowcases that she tatted lace on. She made many beautiful things in her life time. Baby sweaters, booties, afghans,bedspreads, hats & mittens. She embroidered and tatted. What I would give to sit down with her now and learn her beautiful art of tatting. Thanks to Mary Jane for her stitching book I am going to find some tatting needles and try again. The instructions are so good I think maybe there is hope for me! Tracy in NC
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  04:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Alee, that is something I would like to learn how to do.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I learned to Tat! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page