1 Tbs. ground ginger, fresh if you have it
2 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. whole allspice
15 broken cinnamon sticks
4 cups sugar
2 quarts
Juice of one lemon
1 lemon, thinly sliced
Combine salt, 4 qts water and watermelon rind and let sit overnight. Drain and rinse well.Place cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves and allspice add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and let sit.
Combine 4 cups sugar and 2 quarts water, lemon juice in 2nd saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir so that sugar dissolves. Add rind mixture and cook until rind becomes clear, about 15 minutes. Add lemon slices Cook 5 minutes longer. Syrup should be thick like honey, if too thick add a little boiling water. Cover and allow to cool for several hours, or overnight. Prepare jars and sterilze. Return rind to a boil and ladle into prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top of the jar.Remove airbubbles and dry lids and rims to seal. Process in hot water bath for 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks and test the seals of the jars. Label, date and store in cool, dark place several weeks before opening.

Important Note: If you like the watermelon moderately "spiced" remove the cloves, cinnamon sticks and allspice before you place in jars. If you leave it in they will be "POWERFUL " pickles! A bit of work but soooo worth it!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 09 2005 11:43:16 AM

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  3:52:28 PM  Show Profile
I love these but the one time I tried to make any they were nasty! Maybe I'll try your recipe..........

Thanks!

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  9:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Did you leave the spices in? The one time we did it was enough to curl your nose hair! By the way, I haven't had a chance to say welcome , so I will here! Hope you are enjoying all the topics and reading the old ones too, (there were alot of good ones!)It's nice to have you here, I hope I get to hear more about you.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Watermelon Pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page