Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 New addition to the family!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New addition to the family! Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:22:36 AM  Show Profile
My Friesian mare Zanetta has given birth to a lovely colt! He's by the sire Teade 392 from Iron Spring Farm.

Here's the little guy on his first day outside, less than 24 hours old:

And here he's just showing off his breedy conformation:

He was born last Thursday at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Here's a pic of just Mama:

And if you'd like to see the sire, there's a video of him on YouTube, showing him in hand, under saddle, at liberty, and in harness. He's pretty nifty, if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4luxgbspVw

Or you can see him at www.ironspringfarm.com, too.

Just thought I'd share!

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh-how beautiful-thanks for sharing these! :) Congrats on your new addition!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  08:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Mary Ann. He looks very typey. The rest of the family is beautiful too. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Gorgeous breed!!! Congrats!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  10:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow...what a beauty! I bet he'll be every bit as stunning as his daddy (thanks for the video link!)

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
So pretty, Mary Ann. I loved looking at all three of them. Thanks for sharing!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile
A lot of spirit in that little face! You need to take some video of him running and bucking around (once they discover how FUN that is!!!) and post it.

Oh. I'm clenching my teeth looking at him...he's got the super cute approval!!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Very Very Very Beautiful!

I remember you explaining about the numbers after the stud's names- does the same apply to the dame? If so, are you going to put your mare through that? And are you going to get your little man registered with the number too?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  12:38:11 PM  Show Profile
aww I just love it! I love how "boxy/square" his nose is..LOL so cute. love it. thanks for sharing. I'm sitting here going aww I want one!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  12:42:15 PM  Show Profile
ok I saw the video..can I say I'm in love with a horse? lol.. he's gorgeous. lucky you to have this type of horse to raise. what a dream.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  3:01:07 PM  Show Profile
The girls don't have the rigorous approvals process like the sires. The girls go through a keuring as three year olds and are evaluated on conformation and way of going. Sixty percent of their score is on movement. The top 20% of the breed are given the designation "Ster." Zanetta is a ster mare. The baby will not have any special number other than his registration number. Males are not considered breeding material unless the dam's side goes back ster for three generations. His only goes back two; his great-grandmother died too young to make ster.

I'm glad you like him! He's still such a neonate there, he doesn't yet look as typey as he will eventually. He is for sale though if you REALLY love him.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  5:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So if Zanetta has a filly that gets approved as a ster mare, then her foals that are studs can have the additional number after their name, right? If mares are ster, what is it called when the studs qualify?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  04:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Not exactly. That's just the beginning.

Her daughter would have to have a colt that goes to it's keuring as a three year old and win first premie ster stallion, and it would have to be invited to go for the stallion approvals in Holland. You can't just go because you think your horse is great; you must be invited. The owner has to pay about $10K and leave it there for almost a year. There the approvals trials take place, and he's judge on his gaits, conformation, ability to pull, temperament, and even his stall manners, among other things. Then he's either flunked or given provisional breeding status. Provisional sires are not yet fully approved on offspring, but they do get a number after their name. Then they are allowed to breed a limited number of mares. Their babies must demonstrate a certain quality overall, or the breeding rights are pulled. Since the provisional approvals process is so rigorous, it doesn't happen very often that the breeding rights are pulled, but it does happen. It's not good because it leave the offspring he has sired in a bit of a limbo situation.

If a horse gets through all of that and demonstrates that he can sire high quality offspring, then he is given full breeding approval.

Interestingly, even sires with full breeding approval must go to a keuring and be shown and judged every year until they're twelve years old. They must stay high quality in conformation and gaits.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mary Ann- Will you do all that with future offspring?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
BTW- is that your black dog in the background of the first photo? Is he/she a black german shepherd?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Future offspring will be sold. This little guy is for sale. I already have a serious buyer with no advertising. She wanted to commit when the baby was en utero, but I couldn't do that.

All offspring are keured. That means they're taken during their birth year as sucklings, and during their three year old year, and will be judged at central locations by special judges flown in from Holland. I don't want to try to make an approved breeding stallion. The odds of it are extremely rare; there are only about 92 living approved FHANA/FPS breeding stallions in the world.

And yes, that's Ribi, my flunked out drug dog! Ribi comes from a firm where they train dogs and dog/handler teams for explosives detection, narcotics detection, airport security, cadaver dogs, police work and personal protection. She was supposed to find drugs, sit by them and not move. She would come into the room and sit in the general area, but it wasn't enough for probable cause. They then tried to rework her for customs work at O'Hare, but she didn't have enough bite on towels. She was then given to me. I was told she was likely a German Shepherd, but she looks more like a Dutch Shepherd. She was born in Hungary and imported here. She is a sweet and gentle dog, is wonderful with kids, and doesn't much approve of horses unless I'm on top.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:19:39 AM  Show Profile
He is beautiful. I have always admired those breeds of horses.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New addition to the family! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page