knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  06:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Any of you who have really inviting, warm front porches would you mind posting some pictures or give some decorating tips for making a front porch scream Welcome. My front porch is just so.....nothing. Right now there is a swing and a pan with cat food on it. The older I get the more I realize how lacking my decorating skills are?
Thanks
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
http://kathy-whimsicaldays.blogspot.com

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Right now just a huge pot of pink geraniums and ivy. I need to pressure wash it and repaint.

Normally we have some of that synthetic wicker furniture out there, and lots of potted plants. Since it faces north, I like to make it so it's a comfy summer spot out of the sun. We go out there to watch storms, pile grandkids on our laps and tell stories, sip morning coffee and surf online, and just watch the clouds go by.

Companies like Plow and Hearth and Frontgate have wonderful furniture and even outdoor rugs for living spaces that are UV resistant. I love our deck, but it's on the east side of the house and it gets really hot in the summer mid-afternoons. My front porch is a perfect spot.

Can you hang flowers out there? Ferns? Which way does it face? Do you get much wind? How big is the porch? Is there enough room for a small table and chairs with a little quilted tablecloth and a pitcher of wildflowers? Do you have pillows on the swing, or perhaps a light throw? You could make this a very nice spot. What colors are your exterior?
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  06:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Kathy -

Here are a couple of photos from my front porch. 1st one is from this last fall - I change out my wheelbarrow for each season - so right now it has spring/summer flowers. The other is from this spring of my rose that is climbing over the arch. I have wicker chairs on my porch and a little bench to set drinks on between them. We sit out there all the time.

During the spring and summer I also have hanging pots with items that like partial shade - since my porch faces north and doesn't get sun all day.

]

]

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Anne......you have a beautiful porch!!! Mine is bare for now, we are in the process of redoing the front yard so everything is put away!!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Anne,
How beautiful your roses are!

Kathy,
I have a set of wicker furniture out there and we hang flags for each season on a pole from the front. My daughter just got a wind sock with a butterfly on it and hung it up. I also have an old milk can and a wood ring we use to stack our wood in in the winter as we heat by woodstove. We cannot access our porch from the front but the sides are open. No one ever comes in the front door as the driveway comes up to the back of the house. The house sits up on a hill and so anyone coming from the road would have to climb the hil to get here. In the summer I like to set up a small table and my husband and I will sometimes have breakfast out there or just coffee and tea.
He likes to sit out there in the evenings and watch the deer come out in the field across the road. It really doesn't take much to fix it up. A few small things like a table and a couple of chairs really make it inviting. I also dress up the little table with a nice cloth and a vase of wildflowers.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile
What a great thread. Anne, you porch is beautiful. More pics-more pics-more pics from everyone!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  08:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Anne, you're so lucky! That rose is gorgeous--how did you train it across the porch like that? Wire or fencing?

I'll take a photo, but we JUST got our porch looking the way I've wanted it to, but I think, as much as I like watching them, I'm moving our little thistle feeder to the grass. Man, those little birds make a BIG mess on the porch.

We have a lovely teak porchswing, with a bright striped cushion, and a nice rocking metal bench with cozy cushions and pillows. A wicker coffee table, and two green old metal chairs that kindof "rock"? Those are my favorites.

I have potted urns on both ends of the porch with hot pink nicotania, geraniums and yellow/cream lantana, and it really brightens things up!

There are so many simple little things to do that make your porch more welcoming, but I have to say, good seating is key. If that's the only thing you splurge on, it's worth it to have friends come over and "sit a spell". We've really utilized the porch this summer because of the swing and bench.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Our front door isn't used as much as the back so it just looks plain to me. I try. It is a large front porch and besides what you see in the picture I have a table and chairs and it faces N. so it is a nice spot to sit and be cool on an extra hot day.
The back steps go up to the deck and the back door. On the deck besides all the dogs, watering cans, hoses and who knows what else is the way to the back door. It like "good luck". But I line the steps with containers and I think that says WELCOME.

When you take a picture boy, you can see all the flaws. I have to work on that front porch. MB
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jun 07 2007 08:52:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  10:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Jonni -

The rose is trained on a trellis made of copper plumbing pipe. Kinda like a horizontal ladder between the two pillars. I should take a photo so you can see. My dad made it with a pipe bender and some plumber's metal glue. We put it up with some little copper brackets. It is quite cool and nice looking at the copper ages.

The rose is an iceberg rose I got from my brother in laws rose farm. It is about 8 years old and grows like a weed.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy My front porch has two white rocking chairs and two white whicker chairs. An American flag is always hanging from the porch support and there is a handpainted Welcome Sign by the front door. Windchimes handing form hooks, I love the sound.
Hugs, Kathy in WA
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:25:35 AM  Show Profile
There is nothing like a porch! Love all the photos above...so pretty! I have a big back porch instead of a front porch. It goes all the way across the back of the house and is about 10 feet deep. I have a table to eat on, two wicker chairs, a wicker rocker, a white porch swing, a round table, a plant rack, and hanging ferns and hanging geraniums. My collection of Christmas cacti are on the plant rack. There are deep red cushions I got this year at Target, and a checked tablecloth. I even put a lamp on the round glass-top table by the rocker. It is so nice to sit there at dusk with the light on.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Ladies! What great front porches! Mine is bare because it is so small. Just enought room to stand out of the way of the front door opening, really. I long for a great "sittin" front porch, where I can take Nora, Sky-dog and a book and just read away an afternoon. I love porches that have swings or hammocks on them!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:23:32 PM  Show Profile
I so have to go shopping!!! My front porch is bare and you gals have really inspired me!!!!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  2:07:48 PM  Show Profile
IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/runbikegrrl/HPIM0114.jpg[/IMG]

My poarch not in its best light (pun intended it's cloudy here today)

IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/runbikegrrl/HPIM0109.jpg[/IMG]

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  2:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Your porches are all so wonderful and inviting. Mine has white wicker rockers with cushions and a narrow table between them, with a lamp on it. I have a porch swing and chair with cushions on the other side of the porch and a few nesting tables between them. My husband puts hanging plants all around the front (fushia and petunias-which attract hummingbirds even when we are sitting there!) On the wall by the house I have chicken shaped bird houses hanging and a pretty big dragonfly candle holder where the body of the dragonfly is glass and the candle goes in there. We have one of those flag-looking buntings hanging from the front. It is not a huge porch, but we get maximum use of it most of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn your porch sounds wonderful any pictures???

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  7:50:25 PM  Show Profile
I am not exactly good at the picture thingie, but one of these days my kids will get it done for me. I would love to post some because I do think you'd want to come to my porch and have tea and pie.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  07:00:26 AM  Show Profile
On my front porch I have an old wooden bench and a rocker. I made a hyacynth wreath and have a huge pot of impatiens in one corner. I also have a small twig tree with little lights on it with tin red, white, and blue stars, hearts, and flags. And of course, the welcome mat. On the side porch I have a wooden glider, two rockers, an old bench with plants and a small bench with impatiens. There's also a box with a lid and a shaker house on the front that says welcome. I'm always changing things. I love to rock my grandson out there....he likes to watch the birdies. Mommom
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  07:23:35 AM  Show Profile
**sigh**....I love front porches! I wish I had one. I enjoyed the posts and beautiful photos of your porches, you lucky ducks out there!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  08:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Judy,

I have a very tiny front porch. My mother only has a hallway, as she is in an apartment.

Try to just decorate a door. Just whatever makes it pleasing and welcoming to you!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  09:07:14 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I do compensate with a garden in the front, and last year, I started a garden in the back yard. It a work in progress, but I think it looks nice. I can't post pictures, don't have a digital camera...I bought a couple of Andirondack chairs and like to putter around at the end of the day. It faces the woods, and I like the peacefulness and sounds of the birds. That's my 'front porch'. lol
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
The 'front' porch is rarely used since we added our addition. There is a garden to the front and side of it. A large braided rug, a porch swing. There are a few wind chimes.

The back porch is our main entrance. It also leads out to the barn yard. It has plenty of chairs and benches, the dog bowls, a small wood table, a large flower pot & a planter at one end .... that's when it is clean! It usually also contains a few pairs of chore boots, gardening tools, misc buckets and a variety of dogs, cats & poultry!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  09:19:26 AM  Show Profile
My front porch is impossible to keep clean. There is always muddy dogs and kids and dirty work boots. We plan on putting a porch swing up someday. Here is a picture of the front garden which lines the path to the porch. In between the pink roses is a pond with a fountain and a few fish. It's hard to keep the fish in there because my dog likes to jump in and try to catch them.

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  12:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, again, I don't know that I'd call it "inviting" but I do spend most of my time out there, and it's been great so far this Spring and early Summer to entertain friends. We're the only house that has a porch this large, and I feel really blessed...sometimes I want to get some more blinds, though because of nosy parker neighbors :)

If you look in this one, you'll see that our new telephone books have arrived, and in the storm door, my German Shepherd girl, Rose, wants to know what the heck I'm doing!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:50:47 PM  Show Profile
It does look very inviting--with the neat swing and chairs and table. I see Rose in the door. All the green around looks inviting too. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  06:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the photos! I enjoy looking at everyone's garden and porches. The gardens and very beautiful and the porches are typically welcoming and inviting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's on your front porch? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page