Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cocoa mulch growing mold Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  09:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever had this experience? I'm just getting on top of the maintenance of my flower beds for the first time (this is the first year since we've lived here that it hasn't poured down rain all spring). I mulched with that cocoa shell mulch, and everything was fine for about a week. A few days ago, we had rain. Immediately, a fine white mold appeared on the surface of the mulch. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? Will it continue to grow and harm my flowers?

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  09:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Cocoa mulch can be a good mulch and will keep the cats and slugs out of your garden but yes it does mold. The solution is to put in on very thin. We tend to want to mulch like 3inches but with the cocoa mulch you cannot do that. So while it is good you will have to re-apply more often. Sad but true. I hope this helps. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I did put it on about two inches thick. I have newspaper underneath and it doesn't lie completely flat, so needed a little more to cover it. When you say "re-apply", do you mean sprinkle more on top or rake it off and start over? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  4:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Cocoa mulch tends to compact when it is too thick and gets wet so even though you did the right things I think with the news paper underneath it didn't drain well. I would rake it off and re-apply. We sold it at the nursery here and mold was the main problem and re-applying just got too expensive for people. Also some people had a concern about it smelling good and having their dogs eating it. I never saw that but people think those things. Chocolate is not good for dogs. I got away from the subject. You have to rake off the moldy stuff and add more but lightly. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I do love the smell, but I probably won't be buying this again. Glad it's a common problem and not something specific to me and my yard!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cocoa mulch growing mold Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page