Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Starting a successful homebased crafting business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting a successful homebased crafting business Next Topic  

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile
I need some advice! HELP HELP! I lost my job in April and would love to get a homebased crafting business going. I already make handmade cards for friends and family and they all say I should sell them, so I would like to try. I also am almost a Master Herbalist so I would like to also base my business on herbal products such as body products and soaps, etc. Do any of you that are successfully doing a crafting business have any words of wisdom, good books to read, websites, how to get supplies and organize, etc. that would help me? I would really like to make a go at this now that I have a chance. I have two little ones at home that I would love to stay home with while making the bills.
Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it!
Cheryl

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  2:32:29 PM  Show Profile
I would start an etsy for sure. then I would get involved with local craft fairs or farmers markets or flea markets.

I spend most of everyday creating and I can do it while i sip tea an listne to NPR and the girls playing, sans for when I am playing with them ;)

You need to look into your local laws regarding taxes and licensure etc. but that stuff is usually easy to find through the BBB or through your state's legislature page. I lived in CO for a time and made and sold things there as well, but it wasn't a big enough deal to really look intot he books and find out what I needed to do on the legal end of it. I am really of the mind that I made it of my own materials so screw y'all, but I do what I have to do as well.

If you decide to go big on a small scale, get yourself a tax id and then when you buy supplies, you wont have need to pay sales tax, but you will have to file taxes quarterly (or whatever your state's laws are....)

I think the best way to organize is to organize your own way. Whatworks for one person doesnt work for another or another necessarily. Would someone foreign walk into my home they would never think i am organized, but boy howdy do I know where EVERYTHING to do with ANYTHING is in this house.

You also need need need to emotional and moral support of the MR. as well, I think. I don't think any relationship or any contributory part of it is really successful unless both partners are on board.

Mostly, do what you love and dont burn yourself out on it. If you dread getting it done, then you shouldn't be doing it, imho.

That's about all I hae to offer.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I do support us by selling bath products. This found me and evolved into a business.
Whatever you do, you really have to love it. The people who are successful are really driven to create. Give it a try by doing a few shows.... Or if you have a friend who does this, volunteer to help for a 3 or 4 day show... get there when she does and leave after you pack the booth up for the night. You will either love it or hate it. Also visit as many shows as you can, and look as objectively as you can at others who make similar items.... and see if you can compete and what you can do differently for your niche.

It will also be better to focus on related items, such as Bath & Body or cards & journals.

I will be honest, you will work 10 times harder for next to nothing ... but the reward is the freedom to create.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile
about the best advice i can give is from one of my most favorite quotes: FOLLOW YOUR BLISS

i know that is not lots of info .. and yes, we all have our special ways of selling. (i have booths in two local shoppes and i have what i call my Treasure Seekers .. which is a group of about 300 friends all around the country .. who buy my dollies.)

i've been creating this list over the last few years .. and this works well for me.

web sites, fairs, shows, internet, e-bay, on-line crafting 'magalogs', so many ways to go these days. good luck and have fun with it! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile
I know everyone on here has good luck with etsy, but I haven't. I can go to a one day craft show and sell over $1000 worth of creations almost everytime, but I have never sold even one item on etsy, so I let my account go. I don't know what the secret is, but face to face interaction with the potential customer seems to work for me. My biggest challenge is producing enough product in the busy show times.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  10:47:34 AM  Show Profile
I just opened an Etsy shop but who knows if it will work. Once I get a lot of stuff made, I'll probably take some to craft fairs....I'm just getting started!

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
my etsy shop:
http://rachelleigh.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2007 :  7:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advice. I think the biggest obstacle I have is myself! I just need to do it. I always have some sort of excuse why I shouldn't do it. I have all the supplies I need to get started with the cardmaking business so I am trying to get off my butt and do it.
Thanks,
Cheryl
PS I did set up an etsy shop now I just need to take some pictures of my cards and get them posted. I will let you know when I get some up.
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I SO can relate to finding excuses!!! I've wanted my own business since I was in college. I've had tons of "good" ideas over the ensuing 20+ years but I could just never get anything started because of the excuses I made. I didn't have the time, I didn't have all the knowledge, the idea wasn't refined enough, etc.

Then I lost my job about 3 years ago due to downsizing. My former boss suggested I start my own business providing Internet-based administrative support to small businesses. The pressure of needing to either get another job or start my own business was extremely motivating for me, and despite my fears that I didn't know enough and the idea wasn't really more than just an idea, to quote Nike I "just did it."

If I factor in the facts that I don't commute, don't need any work wardrobe and don't go out for lunch instead of packing it from home, my business now makes about as much as I was making working for someone else, but with a lot more satisfaction. Having gone through the process made me realize that for me, the biggest barrier to having my own business was ME and the excuses I made. I'm currently helping Hubby start his own business of buying and selling German collectible teddy bears. It's a lot different than my service business in that we have rent & inventory expenses, and it's still not at the break-even point yet, but I'm learning an awful lot. My goal is to make and sell crafts items as well. I used to be BIG into sewing and crafts, but just drifted away about 20 years ago. Having my own businesses has actually freed up a bit of my time and I want to pick up on it again. I just need to "get off my butt and do it."

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  12:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Here is the thing with etsy - you can NOT just post stuff and expect it to sell. Imagine you have a small booth set up in a store approximatley the size of walmart. People come in and have ALL THIS STUFF to choose from. What is going to make them choose your stuff? You have to be unique, creative and be willing to put in the time and promote your self. Be active on websites, forums, blogs etc and put your name out there. On etsy post AT LEAST 1 item daily and be active on the message boards. When ever I do this my site does well.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  1:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Ya know, a friend and I will be starting another business selling purses, totes and Aprons after toadays aritcle in the columbus dispatch...

To be honest, soap and body product makers are a dime a doz. Being on the frontline at shows with Aprons and catching the wave of this trend is going to be a better financial bet. I have a show at the end of June.... and I will report "real numbers".

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  09:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the inspiration MariaAZ. I just need to give myself a push to get going then I probably won't be able to stop. How interesting about your Internet-based administrative support business. I have heard of virutal assistants; is it anything like that? I have lots of experience in administrative assistance also. Would you mind telling me about your business? I so much want to work for myself because it would be so much more rewarding. As long as I am making enough $ to get by, I would love to do work that is actually satisfying and helping others instead of bring in $ for the "big guy". I just need to have confidence in myself and realize that I know what I am doing. I also feel that I don't have the knowledge, but I know I do and whatever I don't have I can get. Good luck with your husband's new business and congratulations on yours.
Cheryl
PS I also frequent Susun Weeds forum. I mostly read though; there is a lot of information on there. I am doing her Green Witch course; at least I have it, but haven't started yet?

quote:
Originally posted by MariaAZ

Cheryl, I SO can relate to finding excuses!!! I've wanted my own business since I was in college. I've had tons of "good" ideas over the ensuing 20+ years but I could just never get anything started because of the excuses I made. I didn't have the time, I didn't have all the knowledge, the idea wasn't refined enough, etc.

Then I lost my job about 3 years ago due to downsizing. My former boss suggested I start my own business providing Internet-based administrative support to small businesses. The pressure of needing to either get another job or start my own business was extremely motivating for me, and despite my fears that I didn't know enough and the idea wasn't really more than just an idea, to quote Nike I "just did it."

If I factor in the facts that I don't commute, don't need any work wardrobe and don't go out for lunch instead of packing it from home, my business now makes about as much as I was making working for someone else, but with a lot more satisfaction. Having gone through the process made me realize that for me, the biggest barrier to having my own business was ME and the excuses I made. I'm currently helping Hubby start his own business of buying and selling German collectible teddy bears. It's a lot different than my service business in that we have rent & inventory expenses, and it's still not at the break-even point yet, but I'm learning an awful lot. My goal is to make and sell crafts items as well. I used to be BIG into sewing and crafts, but just drifted away about 20 years ago. Having my own businesses has actually freed up a bit of my time and I want to pick up on it again. I just need to "get off my butt and do it."

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  12:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, that is exactly what I am; a virtual assistant. In fact, I'm a real estate virtual assistant. I started out as a part-time administrative assistant for a small firm that published data sheets of new home construction for Realtors. I stayed with that job (which became full-time about a year after I started) for about 6 years. Then, my admin job was eliminated during one of the two corporate buy-outs I went through with the company, and I was told I could either work in the call center or in sales. I opted for the latter but hated it and after maybe 6 months, I got my real estate license, quit that job and became a licenced real estate assistant for a team of Realtors. My primary job was handling the listing paperwork and process, keeping the listings updated on the boss's many websites and a little bit of marketing (simple flyers, post cards, etc.) I did that kind of work for two different bosses for the next 3 years, when I lost my job.

As you can see, I never did anything more than administrative stuff, except for that brief, unsuccessful sales stint. I sell my services based on the fact that my clients only pay for the work I do, and they don't have to deal with the expenses of having an employee (I pay my own taxes, don't get paid for holidays/vacations, etc.) Even though I charge more than my clients would pay for an employee, they like the fact that I'm there when they need me and I'm not when they don't. Basically, I tell them I'm always there for them but they only pay for what they need. I have clients for whom I work less than an hour a day, and they would be hard-pressed to find a face-to-face employee who would be willing to do the job. As for me... well, I have several of them, and since I take care of them from my own home office, those 1/2 hour and 45 minute-a-day little jobs add up quickly :)

I love Susun Weed! I've been there for years, just not as active lately since discovering this place :)

Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  10:04:22 AM  Show Profile
MariaAZ-
That sounds like a great set up! I may look into the virtual assistant again. But once again, it is one of those things that I feel I don't know enough about to start. I know there are a lot of websites out there with information so I will check those out when I get a chance. I have been doing administrative work for about 7 years so I know the basics. I started school last month for a Bachelor in Health Care Administration because I was feeling that it was the best route to get more knowledge to work in the health field, but I am not sure that is exactly what I want. I am now leaning towards the Bachelor in Business Administration so I can get the knowledge to work for myself. You can't really work for yourself in the health care industry and that is what I really want to do. Do you have any suggestions for getting started to find clients for the virtual assistant? Thanks for talking to me about this, I really need the boost!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,

A vitally important thing is developing confidence in your abilities. We are told that bragging is bad and humility is good, but when you are in the business of offering a service, you need to realize that potential clients aren't able to SEE how good you are and what you can do; you have to TELL them. You have 7 years of admin experience, I bet you know more than just the basics!!!! In fact, I'd bet you are pretty darned good at it (or you wouldn't have been in it for that long). You just don't have the confidence... YET. Don't worry, you'll get it. Look at it this way; as a VA, you have 7 years experience coming out the gate. Maybe not in the virtual world, but you DO have 7 years of experience directly related to your business. What motivated me was, as I mentioned, thinking about going back in the workforce. Not only did I want to have my own business, I also realized that if it didn't work out, I could still get a job with someone else. It was my security net.

I got my first client from one of those websites that lets VAs advertise for free, and over the ensuing 3 years got several more. I actually found the Internet my best venue for getting clients. I've written a few articles on being a VA for Internet newsletters that cater to Realtors, and I always get tons of requests from those. Once you've determined what kind of VA you want to be, check out those websites. The website I participated with was tied to a company that produces materials for Realtors, and they didn't charge for me to list. I looked them up before deciding to participate with them; they had a great reputation in the business so I felt comfortable with them. Those sites are good resources for learning what kinds of services are being offered, what people are charging, etc. I actually contacted a few VAs when I first started and just asked questions. A few never returned my emails, but a few were quite generous with their time.

I just got my name out there on the Internet, told everyone at my former places of work that I was now a VA and promoted, promoted, promoted. Any opportunity I have to tell people about what I do, I take it. Example; one of my clients was interested in a particular computer program. The company offered an online sales pitch, so I signed up. Turned out it was a conference call with other Realtors! After the saleslady finished her spiel, she asked for questions. I asked some minor question, and prefaced it with "Hi, this is MariaAZ and I'm a real estate virtual assistant. One of my clients is interested in your program, and I want to know [whatever it was]." The saleslady knew full well what I was up to, and she told me she'd email me further information. She already had my email from the signup but asked for it on the conference call. Sure enough, a few hours later I got an email from a Realtor who had been on the call and wanted to know if I could help her. You never know where the next client will come from if you don't crow just a little whenever you get the chance :)

See if you can get letters of recommendation from ANYONE you've done admin work for; not just past employers, but if you've done volunteer work or if you've helped someone out. See if you can give out their phone numbers and/or email addresses. Did you work in a particular industry for those 7 years, or doing particular tasks? That will give you an idea of where you might find clients.

If you are on good terms with your previous employers, you can offer your services there. I have done work for two of my past bosses, and got one client from the office I used to work as an employee. Also, take the opportunity to network; get yourself some business cards. Let everyone know you are a Virtual Assistant, ask if they can pass your card along.

One of my former bosses used to have a favorite saying; "fake it 'til you make it." That's what I did; the minute I decided I was going to start a VA business, I told people I was a Virtual Assistant (even though I didn't have a single customer and wasn't even sure how it would work out.) It was crazy, scary and exciting, those first several months. And, I think you'll find once you have success with one business venture, whether it be as a VA or in crafts (or whatever you choose, the world is your oyster!) that you'll start thinking about other business ideas.

Whew!! I didn't realize I wrote so much.. sorry for the novel

Edited by - MariaAZ on Jun 12 2007 1:48:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl - just wondering how it's going?
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:13:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, things are going OK. I have been trying to organize my crafting stuff so it is easy to use. I don't have a lot of space for my stuff right now. I am also looking into grants and getting my business registered with the state of Colorado. My niece is here for a couple of weeks and my daughter's birthday is next week so I am kinda at a standstill right now. I will keep you all updated and I check the forums about everyone other day. I love reading everyones posts!
Thanks for thinking of me!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

KitchenMadonna
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Virginia
Birmingham AL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I started a business on etsy right after Easter and I am doing well. I make aprons. But I also have a blog. I am a published author but because I blog daily (so that I am on the google search engines) and offer recipes, essays, and a glimpse into my life, I get customers. My big break came when Pioneer Woman's blog featured my friend wearing one of my aprons. This is called lipstick marketing.

Also, you have to buy your materials wholesale. You have to have a tax ID to do this. I'd be happy to help any way I can!

Blessings,
Kitchen Madonna

Kitchen Madonna
Go to Top of Page

KitchenMadonna
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Virginia
Birmingham AL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I started a business on etsy right after Easter and I am doing well. I make aprons. But I also have a blog. I am a published author but because I blog daily (so that I am on the google search engines) and offer recipes, essays, and a glimpse into my life, I get customers. My big break came when Pioneer Woman's blog featured my friend wearing one of my aprons. This is called lipstick marketing.

Also, you have to buy your materials wholesale. You have to have a tax ID to do this. I'd be happy to help any way I can!

Blessings,
Kitchen Madonna

Kitchen Madonna
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting a successful homebased crafting business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page