Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I made these tonight...

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  10:00:20 PM  Show Profile
How totally cute. You do a great job, elizabeth. I love all the colors. Do you sell them? I have a similar one with cowgirl print I got from Kathy (knewslady). Thanks for showing us your handiwork. MaryBeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  10:17:36 PM  Show Profile
GREAT work Elizabeth! You are a far better sewer then I am! I would be afraid to attempt purses like yours. I am going to make "blue jean" purses for my granddaughters for Christmas. I was given one recently and love it! You can line them or or just leave as is. I added some yo-yo's and glass beads to it. A size 8 jean is a great size. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever!"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  11:11:16 PM  Show Profile
E,
gee, can ya guess which one I like? hee hee hee!
They both are so cute, but I luv the cute Buckerrettes the best...hmmm, I may have to save a bit of that fabric for a matching handbag to go with my future apron...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  05:00:27 AM  Show Profile
OH I am droolin' here girl!!! I think I have a handbag obsession!
Wonderful job!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  05:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Adorable! I love them both. What are you going to do with them, Elizabeth?

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
they look so awesome...do you have a pattern you use, or did you just sit down and start sewing? jess
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:02:07 AM  Show Profile
very nice.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, I am actually making them to sell at a show at the end of June. A friend of mine designs coats and handbags. Since I have a booth with soap, she will be selling these from her booth. I have a few aprons made, and have some more cut too. It is nice that I dont need to make enough to fill a booth, for a huge 3 day show. I was thinking about $30 - $35 each.
I thought about doing the Etsy thing, but I am not sure how to pull them off during the show, because each is original, I dont want to sell one twice.

Yes, I have enough fabric to make 3 more cowgirls, and I will probably keep one for myself.
The green one I had enough fabric to make 2. I have made 2, and this is the second one. The first one was the learning curve bag. I probably will pull it apart and add better interfacing, But I will keep everyone posted on my sewing adventures.

E-
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Lovely purses, and great fabroc! hope your show goes well!

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  08:49:50 AM  Show Profile
E-GADS-- ELIZABETH, good job. I still sew on the pre school level, so always nice to see what real sewers can do.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth....how do you do the closures? Are they difficult? Great bags!!!!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth - wonderful purses!!! They are just the most darling things I've seen. Hope you sell out at your show in June. I'm sure you will. Are they your own design/pattern? I sew, but have never ventured into the realm of bags. You've inspired me to get going doing something new.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  7:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Again everyone!

CindyLee, I use magnetic closures. They arent hard to use, but just hard to get right. Most of the learning curve from the first bag was setting the closure. you have to slit the fabric, but the lining is not enough to support the snap. They are heavy and a lot of stress is put on the fabric around it. But it was a bit of a trick to add a few extra layers of super heavy duty interfacing (or plastic canvas can be used)so it looks seamless. No big lump under the fabric. Also, sont use iron on interfacing... use the stitch in kind. So it takes an extra step to baste that in so it stays straight when you are construction the bag.
I guess I construct things on how I would want mine to be constructed... SO I dont take short cuts and lucky I live fairly close to Joanns. I dont think, well I am out of this so I will just use what I have on hand. Because I will always look at it and think I shoulda done what ever. And I have learned that it takes a lot less time to do it right the first time, than to have to tear out seams because I was rushing ot just wanted it done.

Jess and Annie, they are the creation of my mind. I knew what I wanted it to look like and about what size. So I went about cutting.... and the next one I made some revisions in the size, but I got setting the snap and the handles right. The handles are fairly hefty and sturdy. Those too an extra layer of interfacing... since they need to be strong because those are the biggest stress point of the bag, closely followed by the snap.

E-
www.Botanical-Bath.com

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  8:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Nice purses! You did a great job!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile
You are so right, better to do the best you can instead of KNOWING it could be better. I did that recently with an apron. The pattern called for a bib that was detachable and who wants to bother with that? I sewed on the bib and it didn't look right and bugged the heck out of me. I hung it up and it made me nuts until I took it off the bib and fixed it. I am so much happier and I wasted a lot of energy not liking how it looked. I should have just fixed right off the bat! Oh well....

Thanks for the info on the purses, they are great! Cindy
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  01:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Very lovely purses. About how big do they measure? I like that you put magnetic closures i nthem. it makes them more user friendly. I have some cowgirl print in red and cream. Now I will have to make my own version for summer.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  08:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Aren't they so Nice!! ESPECIALY the Little Cowgirl One!!!!
I really love them!!
You do such nice work Kiddo..
& describing the closure.. wow.. we don't think of things like that really .. do we? what it takes just to get it right..
i really over think things.. & get this huge mess of stuff going on.. & then there is this bag of a lopside thing for Paul Buyans Mom to carry around..
I just had an Epiphany!!
I think I am Paul Buyans Daughter!
My Mother has lied to me all these years.. !
This is why i can't make these sweet little Purses Like Yours!!!
& those lovely nice normal stitches on my Apron's like Bev & Georgann!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  7:33:40 PM  Show Profile
They are adorable! Wherever did you find the inner material for the cowgirls purse? I love it! You did such a lovely job on both purses.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile
The Cowgirl Bag is 12" w 8.5" h x 3" d
The green bag is 12"w x 7"h x 3"d

The first green bag "learning curve bag" measures 9.5"w x 6"h x 4.5"d

The lining on the Cowgirl bag I got at Joanns

I think everyone needs a Cowgirl purse. When you sew yours, Post pictures!
I also tracked down the distributer for the fabric, there is a $700 order min and $1000 per year to keep the account open.

I also have a Pink & green daisy and coordination fabric in plaid already cut for another. I am also going to make a tote design that you can make out of fat quarters. I will post step by step on that one if anyone is interested in sew-along-tote.

E-
www.Botanical-Bath.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Purses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page