Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Boys Who Crochet   

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  12:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! Just wanted to reference the Simply MJ article about Boys Who Crochet at the Northwest Children's Home, which Mary Jane wrote about recently. The boys use crochet at part of their therapy. At the end of the article was information about how to donate yarn for their projects.
I decided to do this in late January and in early February I received a most heartfelt thank you card from their counselors as well as being signed by 19 boys. Most just said "thank you very much", but one boy wrote this: "How does it feel to know you made a difference in someones life?"
It's a super good cause and I hope you will consider donating yarn to them as well. I know I intend to do so as much as possible.

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2004 :  9:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello Clare,
That is so wonderful! I just read that article last week. Yes I am planning to go through my yarn stash and donate too, but I was thinking of asking people in my spinning/weaving/knitting groups if they'd like to add to it as well. I think it's nice to help individual people, when I donate money to organizations and I know it helps them out, but it isn't as personal. I'd like to send some handspun yarn that I made too. I just read something very interesting in Wayne Dyer's book The Power of Intention, he says that when someone does an act of kindness it actually increases the serotonin production in the brain for the doer, the receiver and anyone witnessing this. I felt so happy to read about your donation of yarn so I must be having a little serotonin boost.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2004 :  07:08:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you about the serotonin levels increasing, ElizArtist. I saw Dr Dyer's special on PBS saying the same thing. It is good to give when we can- each in our own small ways, and it does affect positive change. And won't those boys feel so special when they receive handspun yarns!!! Wow. Good for you!

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Boys Who Crochet   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page