Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Something soothing for dog's skin??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Something soothing for dog's skin?? Next Topic  

inthedeepwoods
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Denita

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:13:18 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if anyone knows of something I can put on my dog's stomach. She broke out in a slight rash last week and I'm not sure why. She hasn't been anywhere out of the ordinary. It is a bit red and feels sort of ~~~ clammy for lack of a better word. I can't really tell if it itches her or not. She hasn't been acting miserable with it, but will just pick at it from time to time. I really don't want to incur a vet bill for this if there is a home remedy I can try first.

I had thought about putting on a hydrocortizone cream, but wasn't sure if that would be bad for her if she licked it off. Maybe I could try a children's dose of benedryl or something like that? She's about 25 pounds.

Does anyone have any ideas?

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile
My dog has had severe skin allergies all of his life. He weighs 57 pounds and my country vet said to give him two regular-strength Benadryl twice a day. I can also use hydrocortisone cream on him. I massage it in for a while and sit there with him so he can't lick it off right away. It seems to help a lot. When it gets REALLY bad, I have to give him Prednisone but that makes him pee like CRAZY!!!

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Our Labs are allergy prone as well and they get Benadryl morning and night. They can be given Clatrin or Alavert instead.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:24:37 PM  Show Profile
You can also try adding some olive or coconut oil to her feed.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  10:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
A oatmeal bath is soothing for animal and human skin alike. I have also heard of doing buttermilk too.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  05:56:31 AM  Show Profile
A veterinary skin doctor years ago told me to use Head and Shoulders to give a dog a bath who had skin allergies as it was more PH balanced to a dog's skin. It always helped on my one dog and it was easy to do. I have heard of people giving Benadryl to their dogs with good results as well. If this skin problem is something new with your dog, I would also check her area out for things that she comes in contact with that could be irritating her skin.(such new kind of soap, bedding, etc.). Hope this helps.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jun 04 2007 05:57:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  06:35:39 AM  Show Profile
One of my dogs always over-itches during the summer because of fleas (despite flea treatments). A friend who runs the humane society told me to try vagisil (giggle) for the itch. It works- but we don't tell the boy dog it's for girls! :)

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  08:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kim-

That is hilarious! I would have never thought of that! I guess it makes sense though, doesn't it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Something soothing for dog's skin?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page