Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  9:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Today, my littlest one, who has just learned to crawl over the past week or so, crawled to a bottle of window cleaner and was squirting it on everything, not knowing what he was doing. Now, this is just club soda at my house, but it made me think -- I really should have turned the sprayer's nozzle to OFF, AT LEAST, and put it away. I can just imagine if it had been something really toxic and he'd sprayed it in his eyes or mouth. I just thought I'd tell all you farmgirls with little ones also to turn those sprayers off and put 'em away!

XOXO, Libbie

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:35:22 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOSH .. and i just got an e-mail about 'hand santizer' being dangerous to children ..

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie- Congrats on your little one figuring out how to spray things! That is a pretty hard thing to do for such little hands! I am so glad that you use non-toxic cleaners so there was no harm done :)

Hugs

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile
But on the other hand...

Spray bottles can be put to *awesome* use!

Last summer, I went to the dollar store and bought 6 different spray bottles, each with a different colored sprayer on top. Brought them home, put 1 cup of tempera pain in them and 1 1/2 cups of water in them (I'd also recommend putting 1 tsp of dish liquid in - helps get out laundry stains.) I gave the kids the run of the backyard with them all summer long. They used them to paint with. Kept 'em busy for *HOURS*. (Mine were 5 and 6 at the time - *MUCH* different ages, obviously!!)

Yup - Spray Paint Art. It's a *Good Thing.*

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  06:58:52 AM  Show Profile
I have to say that for my 4-year-old, he would LOVE the spray bottle paint idea! He already loves to "paint" things with water, but I think I'll try the tempera paint this summer for him. Did you have any trouble with it staining stuff?

And Frannie - yikes!!! I'll be SURE to keep that stuff UP AND OUT OF REACH! Thanks for the heads-up!

Alee - yep - he's got strong little baby boy hands - I'm just lucky he didn't pinch himself, either - it's non-stop excitement with little ones, isn't it?!?!?!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  08:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie-

Yup! Non stop around here already! Just trying to anticipate what her next need is going to be keeps me pretty busy!

I will have to remember the spray bottle paint idea! That sounds like lots of fun!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  08:41:53 AM  Show Profile
We use spray bottles of water and paint as well for my 4 year old. It's to help get her hands strong enough to use scissors when in school. Her occupational therapist recommended that she do that. We also let her water the garden with a sprayer so she has to hold it down to get the water out. It's a good hand strengthing technique.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Annie, just what is in tempra paint? I don't know if I would want it sprayed on my plants.
When my kids were young I gave then buckets of water and a house painting brush-any big brush would do- They used it to paint the house, car and anything else within reach.

life is good
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  07:16:54 AM  Show Profile
tempera paint typically contains ground pigment (either natural or manmade depending on the brand), water ans some kind of startch to give it a thicker consistency. It is generally considered safe and non toxic to humans and animals.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Dec 16 2007 07:18:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  07:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Susan-

Here is a link to an interesting Wiki about Tempera paint. But the short answer is that it is the paint that most schools use in their class rooms for Art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempera_paint

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  2:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow - this really brought back our spray bottle moment! My naughty little boy had the bottle of cleaner balanced with the bottom firmly planted on his fat baby belly, spray head at the perfect distance and angle to spray directly into eyes, and both chubby little hands gripping the neck, two thumbs over the trigger, squeezing with all his might! It was as if the container had been designed specifically as a toddler eye spray application device! I had another round of baby proofing and still turn those caps off out of habit with each use. Can't hurt! This also got me started on the less toxic spray cleaners, and I posted my simple recipe in case anybody wants to try it.

I once made a gigantic paper origami crane and painted the paper with a clothesline and a spray bottle of tempera paint. I pasted together strips of paper to make like a 20' square - the crane was huge! I think I'll do that again - the kids would love a giant paper airplane. Or a giant one of those hats, like you fold from newspaper. Maybe with our Brownie troop. . .

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Spray Bottles... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page