Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Mosquito/Bumble Bee Ringtone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mosquito/Bumble Bee Ringtone Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  8:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you heard of this new ringtone type? It is supposed to be an ultra high frequency sound that only young ears can hear. So kids are using this ringtone so parents/teachers don't know when their cell phone is ringing.

http://www.jetcityorange.com/mosquito-ringtone/

Alee

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  03:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Heck, I cant hear mine and it rings LOUD! My kids dont have cells but I know plenty that do.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com

Edited by - TheSoapMaven on May 30 2007 03:21:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had never heard of this before, but I guess a lot of teenagers are using this particular ring tone. I played it off my computer and it sounded just like a mosquito buzz! Ick- makes my skin crawl just hearing it! My dog couldn't figure out why my computer was making that sound either! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile
I can't hear a thing and I turned it up REALLY loud. I called my 19 year old in and she said "turn it down it's hurting my ears"! Can you believe it?
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:53:42 AM  Show Profile
I can't hear mine half the time, and it BAAAA's!! Or maybe that's just because I'm out with the sheep and I can't tell the difference..

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Merle! Thats amazing! I could hear it but I had to turn it up pretty loud and my dog was looking at me really wierd. Her ears were perked up so hard that I am suprised she didn't sprain her little ear muscles!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  2:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Well it must work because I couldn't hear a darn thing! I must be in the old category. How sad.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  2:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am only 24 and had to turn my computer to maximum to be able to her it. It is a really high pitched whine and it almost just sounds like a noise your computer might make anyway. I had to listen to it several times just to make sure I could actually hear it.

I wonder why kids don't want their parents to know their cell phone is ringing? I mean if you answer it or look at it- it is going to give you away anyway. So why not just turn the silly thing off and let it go to voicemail?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Merle.. are you kidding?

well.. thats it.. i won't hear it then..

Ancient..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  8:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so this is going to make me sound like an old fuddy-duddy... but I can't imagine why most kids even NEED a cel phone. Now, I'm not exactly anti-technology; my business requires me to spend a lot of time on the Internet, and I carry a cel phone so clients and family members can reach me. There's a commercial from one of the cel carriers; the mother asks her young daughter who she's text messaging all day long, and the girl responds in text message-ese. Mom ends up taking the phone away because of the cost, and the girl is very upset. The tag line is that this provider offers unlimited text messaging. It's supposed to be a cute ad, but it sets my teeth on edge. I see kids on the nearby school playground chatting away on their cel phones during recess, and walking home after school with the phone glued to their ears. What ever did kids used to do before cel phones???

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  8:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maria I know the exact commercial you are talking about and it does the same thing to me! My fiance and I have jokingly said that Nora will be the most unpopular kid because she won't have a cell phone until she pays for it herself! :) The other commercial that gets me is the commercial that goes something like this:
Dad:"Now that we switched carriers you can do all this stuff for no extra cost"
Kids:"But we do that anyway"
Dad:"Yes but now mom can quit her second job" (in walks the mom in a giant Taco Suit)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:08:01 AM  Show Profile
I teach and the kids at my school have used this for some time. I an 29 (almost) and can hear it CLEARLY so they cant pull anything over on me during class. There are many teachers who can not hear it though. It works because as you get older damage is caused to your hears making it more difficult for you to hear very high frequencies. Most children have not had this buildup of damage so they can more easily hear the sound.

Kids at our school are not allowed to use cell phones. The high pitched noise can aleart them that they have a text message. Most kids can type messages without even looking at their phones.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Alee, we don't have children but if we did we would do exactly the same thing; no cel phone until they can afford it themselves, and if the grades go down or any complaints by the teachers for inappropriate use, away the phone would go. And I've seen that commercial as well, and dislike it too. To me, these commercials make it seem like a child has a RIGHT to have a cel phone provided by & paid for by the parents.

Julie- I was a substitute teacher for over 6 years, and I can imagine how adept kids can get if they really want to do something (like text message without looking.) I think that's what bothers me the most about kids and cel phones; having been in the classroom before, I can well imagine that cel phones are just one more thing that distracts students from their schoolwork, and think it's great that schools ban them. However, phones these days are so small that I'm sure it is very easy to sneak one into class especially if it's set on silent.

Speaking of cel phones in class; I was at a seminar where everyone who attended had paid quite a bit to be there. Attendees had to sign a disclaimer at registration that they would agree to a $25 fine each time their cel phones interrupted the seminar. The instructor reminded everyone before each session to turn off their cel phone ringers, but one woman's phone kept ringing throughout the day. She paid the fines, but after the 4th or 5th time the instructor asked her why she wouldn't turn her ringer off. The lady said the business she might miss if she didn't answer the phone was worth more than the $25 fine, but she didn't think about how distracting to the REST of us her constantly ringing phone was. And when the instructor brought this to her attention, her response was a shrug and "We're all business people, everyone understands." I can say from experience after chatting with other attendees that the majority of us DIDN'T "understand"!

Can you tell this is a major pet peeve of mine? :)

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  10:06:19 AM  Show Profile
Both my girls can hear it-I however can't hear a thing. I got cell phones for my kids when they started to drive. They all had jobs at the time as well and would be driving home between 11-12pm on weekends. They always had old cars so it was a good idea. I did however get them Cricket which is a prepaid plan so they can't run up the bill. When the boys went to college they got on a family plan with me and it was cheaper than a phone for the dorms. Now, after all that justification, my 14 year old has one too:( I can come up with a justification for that though. Here it is: she is in drama at school and stays after a lot so it is handy for that and she rides and is at the barn a lot so it works for that too. How was that? Do you think it's good enough???lol I agree with all the negitives about cell phones though. The wrost I have seen is it going off in church! I leave mine in the car while at the movies or church. I don't take to class either unless someone in my family is traveling or someone is sick. I explain to my students what is going on and that it may ring. I find that when I do this they tend to show me the same respect (college kids). I have told students to leave my class for texting though. They sure are sneaky! ( or I'm dim witted)
Merle
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mosquito/Bumble Bee Ringtone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page