Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Need Still More Sunflower Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Still More Sunflower Advice Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  7:14:03 PM  Show Profile
My DH and I are having a discussion: Do sunflowers have to be staked? DH says they will knock over in the wind and that he's never seen sunflowers growing in Iowa without stakes. I say I've never seen them with stakes. For the first time in years I have real sunflowers growing very well. They have grown nearly a foot this week. They are now about 5 feet tall. Should we stake or not? I don't care either way, I just don't want to go to the extra work if we don't have too.
Thanks bunches!
JoyIowa

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  8:54:42 PM  Show Profile
I usually don't stake sunflowers here in Kansas. The giant Russian mammoths are another story...They can grow to 12+ feet tall and should have support. The only winds that toppled a sunflower house I had was a small tornado with 115 mph winds. It was demolished. I usually plant the taller sunfowers next to a fence for a lttle support, but they are a really tough plant and seem to have sturdy stalks. Hope this helps...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  9:42:14 PM  Show Profile
I have never staked sunflowers living in CAlif (super sandy soil) here in Utah or even when I lived in Minnesota. Here it gets REALLY windy sometimes and have never had any blow down. They DO have really sturdy stalks..I think you should be okay without stakes!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  04:07:59 AM  Show Profile
As plants move in the wind their cell walls are moved. This strengthens the walls which strengthens the plants.

Have you ever noticed newly planted trees that are staked too high? When the stakes are removed the trees will quickly snap or bend under stress because they weren't given a chance to move.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  06:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. This group is fantastic! I think we won't stake. Robin, I never stake new trees for that very reason. Neighbors in the area have had trees uprooted in the wind, but mine have all stood the test of time. Now ice...that's a different matter, but I do try to leave them be.
Have fantastic days ahead!
Peace,
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile
I always MEAN TO stake my new fruit trees, but never end up doing it and now I am relieved that I don't. The two crabapple trees we planted out front a little over a year ago are sure thriving..and we have had some really really big winds this year. The two new trees (apricot and peach) that we planted this spring, look good and no stakes there either. Glad to know I did a good thing..accidentally.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Still More Sunflower Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page