Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic We've been under attack! Next Topic  

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  05:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Whew! What a rough Spring we are having on Bee Haven Acres. We have lost another 4 chickens and several ducks. Our numbers are quickly diminishing thanks to a very hungry fox and her kits. They have made their den in our woods. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them. I hate to see them come to harm, but the slaughter has to stop. Any ideas?????

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  07:33:01 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any ideas really but I sympathize completely, I cant have chickens cause the bear eats them. he ate our rabbits and my friends chickens. my other girlfriend put her chickens in an old trailer to keep the bears away. could she be lured off with kitchen scraps.... my pap feeds his, maybe they could be made lazy!!! of course you dont want them all hanging around. the game commission doesn't relocate them too, do they?
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  07:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear this Bev. How about a big wire pen with a wire top?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wonder if the fox would eat dog food instead?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  09:18:24 AM  Show Profile
That is so disheartening isn't it? I am so sorry Bev..
We have that problem with the hawks & eagles Little ones just don't make it.. & every once in a while a stray dog wander through & snatches up another one.. If i want to keep Chickens.. i have to keep them up where I live.. Or they just wouldn't make it really..

Maybe a really nice sized pen like Nancy said will be what you have to do for the chickens.. Not sure what your going to do about all those sweet happy little ducks of yours though..

Not fair is it..

Sorry...

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  1:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Well, we have a wire chicken yard, but as is always the case is mostly dirt and our "girls" love to roam. They have the free range life...that is until they become a statistic.....yikes. But I guess imprisonment is better than being eaten......

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  03:23:01 AM  Show Profile
I wonder - what if you contained your girls for the rest of the year - do you think the fox would get out of the "habit" of coming over for dinner? I dont' know a think about fox behavior, but just maybe...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile
We built an "aviary" out of chicken wire. It's about 30 by 20. Wasn't too hard. I did most of it myself. We knew from the start it would be the only way we could keep chickens out here. We are in the middle of 40 acres of heavily wooded land and have hawks, coyotes, bobcats and other chicken loving critters to contend with! Plus our three dogs! They've been raised in the pen and I feed them grain for laying hens that I buy at Walmart, and big piles of grass when we cut around their pen. They seem happy enough. Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic We've been under attack! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page