Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Don't Know Where To Begin...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Don't Know Where To Begin... Next Topic  

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:11:11 PM  Show Profile
I take photographs. Of really weird things. Thing is: they turn out pretty good: water lillies amidst pond scum...rusted junk trains...scrap metal...overgrown railroad tracks. Somehow, I've been able to turn the "everday ordinary" things that we pass along into art. At least that's my perspective - and seemingly other people as well. I can't believe the response that other people have to my photographs of "decay." I think part of it is the catchy titles I give my work; somehow, the titles really seem to capture to essence of meaning in the work. And I've been blessed with searching out and discovering excellent places to find "trash" that is my artistic forte.

I think I'm ready to turn my photography into a business.

The thing is, I really don't know *WHERE* to begin. eBay just doesn't seem like the way to go. Etsy doesn't seem that well-known. I'm not certain there is enough of a market locally. Or am I just trying to talk myself out of it for fear of failure...or fear of success? Do I set up a blog, watermark my photos, and begin selling them with a PayPal account?

I really don't know where to start. Any help or recommendations you wonderful Farmgirls could provide would be most appreciated.

I'm so confused!!!

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  7:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, that's kind of where I am and why I posted about the blogs. I don't quite know where or how to start except just to plow in and let the chips fall where they may.

I am still going to have my driving job to pay the bills and put money in the bank but I would like to let my creative side out and maybe make a bit on the side too. Then I start thinking that I don't want to put my best stuff out there as it's kind of personal, maybe it's too much work, what will people think, etc, etc.... I don't think I'm afraid of failure (at my age and after what I've accomplished, failure isn't really in my vocab...not bragging, just what I think I've done for myself) but just need a kick in the bubkes to get moving and quit talking about it.

I guess just jump in and let 'er rip. What have you got to lose??

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  9:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn - maybe you could find some locally owned coffee shops, book stores...not the mainstream popular ones, but the ones that the "artsy" folks patronize. In St. Louis, we have an area called the Central West End or The Loop, where the artists and art lovers hang out -- the ones that would appreciate your eclectic style. Some of the bookstores and coffeeshops will let local artists display their works for display and/or for sale.

Might be a way to get your name and photographs out there without jumping into the "deep end."

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Also check with your local hospitals. More and more of them are showcasing local artists works in the hallways with for sale tags on them. Check with the hospital's community liason to see if they would be willing to showcase your art! Nurses love original artwork!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  7:16:45 PM  Show Profile
You might also look into your local college or university. You could take an art class and get exposure that way.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would say pick your best 5 photos that you absolutly love, watermark them, and put them on Etsy. I hear it is pretty cheap to list (cheaper than ebay) and you never know- you might just have a hit!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:37:37 AM  Show Profile
I have a Dell Photo 964 printer. I print some of my photos on card stock and make greeting cards of them and sell them in my little farm store....if you were going to do a bunch of them you'd need to go to a printer, but I find people like the little one-of-a-kind cards...I have a great program where I turn the photos upside down and then print them in 5 x 7 format...I can also make some of them "antique" looking and folks seems to love those, like of our county's covered bridges, etc.

I also sell some of my prints that way, some are framed and matted (mostly in bargain frames that I mat myself) and others just hanging on a little clothes-line thingie in gallon size zip lock type baggies....

I haven't sold a lot but a steady few all along with my "farm fresh eggs from happy chickens," herbal stuff, and homemade goat milk soap (and anything else I can put in my farm store....)

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:39:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh---and I also put a copyright notice on the back of each print and on the back of each card!

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Kaylyn,

First off...I beleive you have stumbled onto what you are supposed to give back to the world...We are all born with our music inside us and sometimes it can take a few years or half a lifetime for the music to emerge!

Second off...There are NO failures in life girlfriend, only results!

Everything we approach in life and everything we give a try always produces "a result". From those results we can discover what we need to keep, rearrange or throw out of the equation.

So just remember:

** there are no failures
** stay in the present moment without the restraints of time. Putting a time factor into your plans can lead to procrastination and other delays.
**detach yourself form the good opinion of others....And what I mean by this is that even though people have good intentions they sometimes will throw in comments like "How are you gonna do that?", What makes you think you can sell that?", "You don't know anything about business", well you get my drift.

The people that make these comments don't even realize the negative connotation they have. They just want to help! NOT!! And even though you can overcome what you have heard and continue forward these comments can come back to you when you are exhausted and wondering what to do next.

Hope I haven't been to serious for you. I just believe in paying forward with positive affirmations. I'm finally following my dreams now after years of putting off due to being unsure of all the "what if's".Now I just "do it".

Here are some links for you to follow...this site is a starting point for uploading your artwork to a free gallery that will hold up to 24 picture. It is an upscale online art community. Customers can shop for your art and buy just the print or they can choose mats and frames.

The company gives you a base price for many different sizes and presentations and then you markup the price to give you the profit you want to make. They will also pay you a 15% commission when your prints sell with a mat and a frame.

Here's the hompage link: http://www.imagekind.com/default.aspx

Here's the Sell section: http://www.imagekind.com/sell/Default.aspx

Here is the FAQ section and it shows all of the base prices:http://www.imagekind.com/faq.aspx?CID=8

I know of a few more places...I'll let you know after I've looked them up. Also, Etsy isn't near the size of Ebay but is a fast growing platform, has very reasonalbe fees, and specializes in original creations. So I do recommend Etsy.

I remember when etsy had a total page base that I could sit down and look completely through everything on the site and that wasn't more than 3 years ago! So it is a sleeper that is waking up in a major way.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for 9 years. It is as fickle as can be...LOL You NEVER know what a person will pay for anything...But what I've learned over the years is that Ebay is one of the best online "marketing" tools you can have. You can't create business without advertising, advertising, advertising....did I just say advertising! LOL Ebay listing get picked up by Google search engines regularly.

And I would say last but certainly not least always keep a keen sense of humor!

Hope to hear from you!!

Peace,
Stephanie
[urlwww.dreamkingdomdesigns.com]
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What great ideas ladies! Let us know when you get started, Kaylyn! I can't wait to see them!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey there,

I just noticed your username :o) Where in Alabama are you!!

Peace, Stephanie

quote:
Originally posted by BamaSuzy

Oh---and I also put a copyright notice on the back of each print and on the back of each card!

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  10:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Try a few art shows. I am not sure how close you are to chicago, but one of a kind is a really good one. I like to do shows because you can get real feedback, good and bad. But People like to meet the person face to face who created the art. It make it more personal to them. There are a lot of smaller shows that the booth fee is under $100. Good luck. I think you would do well... there are a few photographers at each show I do who do the "pretty flowers" pictures. I personally would rather see reality captured.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  05:55:30 AM  Show Profile
*WOW*!!! Thank you *ALL*!!

I am so encouraged after reading everything that all of you ladies have to say. I *CAN* do this! I can get so boxed in to my own thoughts - as can we all, I suspect - that options just seem to get minimized. I am so happy to have posted and to have heard the perspectives of other smart and creative women.

And yes - *WOMEN* - no offense to the men out there...it's nice to get the female perspective and opinions since our brains operate so differently from theirs. I don't discount what my DH has to say, just: 1) he isn't an artist; 2) I want "opinions" so I can gather lots of ideas, not for him to "solve it for me"; 3) he really isn't all that interested because he is pulled in his own obligations and directions; 4) he hasn't ever *DONE THIS* before!

You all are *SO* amazing and wonderful. I don't tell y'all that enough, but I look so forward to coming to the board everyday and reading what you all have to say. And not just on things that I think affect me...I'm learning that *everything* is connected and affects me somewhere in the chain of life. Thanks, you *AWESOME FARMGIRLS!!* ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:58:13 PM  Show Profile
There is another approach to making money from photos. Goes like this:

Watermark your photos - with a watermark JUST in the bottom right or left corner. The watermark should consist of your URL only.

Create a website, and post the photos on the site, for free use, as long as the watermark is in place, and as long as they provide a link back to you on the page they use the image on.

If they want a copy without the watermark, they can pay for it through a shopping cart.

Otherwise, you can earn from AdSense ads - they can bring in a steady and solidly growing predictable income if you use them right. Ask me if you need more info about AdSense.

Now, what happens is, people use your photos on their sites. They link back to you when they do (most will), or people see the URL and come find more. This brings traffic to your site. Traffic means AdSense earnings, and photo sales. Your photos end up being not just the product, but also the means of viral marketing - they go out across the web and market your product for you.

You still have to do other kinds of online marketing. But for a website, this method can work if you build the site smart.

Now, within my clients and associates that do photos, craft shows and local presentations are by far the most lucrative way of selling them. People are more willing to buy it when it is framed and looking good. They will also be more likely to buy a CD full of images with reasonable terms of use, as long as you have a thumbnail sheet for them to peruse before they buy.

You can also purchase electronic photo frames on sale. Load them with a series of themed photos, and sell them for a markup. $1 to $2 per electronic photo is standard on this kind of thing. When you display it, set the frame rate to about 15 or 30 seconds - long enough for each photo to be really seen before it changes, but short enough that someone can see there are many in it. 10-20 photos per frame is about right.

You can also offer regional websites a photo or two in exchange for a live link and credit. Most are looking for good photos of the area to promote it well. Again, let your work do the talking for you - in this instance, avoid the watermark, because sites in your region who print your stuff with credits and a link back to your site will give you more traffic and interest, and you WILL get something in return. Do this with city, county, state, tourism, chamber of commerce, rural development, business development, economic development, and other organizational websites.

Get into local shops, galleries, and organizations. Some hospitals show art and photos for a commission as a means of fundraising. Many community halls, convention centers, and other large community centers will allow you to hang artwork for sale there - sometimes libraries do this. Most want a commission, it is their way of fundraising. Even if they don't allow you to sell it, even displaying it with an artist's card on it can help your business grow. Restaurants will sometimes do this too. Take a walk in oldtown where all the unique little shops are, and see which ones would be appropriate to talk to about consignments - make sure you get good documentation of the agreement, and a receipt for your goods. If your town is not big enough, go to the next larger one.

You can sell shipped items on a website also, and you can operate as a custom order store - that is, they order, THEN you print and assemble. This works as long as you can keep up with a very fast turnaround time. It is one way of reducing initial startup expenses, but it is also slower to get going.

None of this is easy. I gotta say outright, that photos have to really be something special. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just letting you know that you will have to work to become known. You'll have to market with confidence, be creative in how you market, get your photos out into as many places as you can, etc.

But... If you CAN be creative in how you approach it, and not limit yourself to one idea for earning, your skills can blossom into something amazing. It does take initiative, and ACTION. Good photos combined with the right marketing plan and the right types of product venues can really sell well. It is all in how you do it, and whether you want to really go after it. I work with startups all the time, so I do know what is possible and what is not. I'm not just theorizing.

Laura

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com
Western Hills Institute for MicroBusiness Training
http://www.westernhillsinstitute.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  6:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura-

You are a wealth of information! Thank you so much for sharing with us! It is always nice to hear from people who have "been there-done that"!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  7:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Kaylyn,

I have more options for you :o) There are so many opportunities for marketing yourself online.

In addition to having the "free" image pages with a required link back to you there are also the "article directoies" as I call them.

You can write articles about your area of expertise and have them published. They always have link to your website. This is another valuble way to create that "viral marketing" as it is termed.

Here are some links for you to checkout...Maybe Laura over at Firelight can make some recommendations in this area??

This first link listed is the top ranked at the google search engine under the search for "article submission directories"

http://www.homebiz-direct.com/articleWriting.html

This is the 2nd ranked in the search

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12838.asp

Here's another one....

http://thedabblingmum.com/links/linkform.htm

I will be using this approach as well as the "free" graphics, patterns, etc. requiring a back link as a condition. Like Laura said, most people will honor the linkback request.

I am just beginning my website promotion and it is a long road to travel but I've perservered and accomplished the design process. The search engine optimization process involves too many factors for my brain to soak up all at once. I just take it one day and a time and learn something new.

There are tons of companies that offer search engine optimization and alot them make guarantees that you will be ranked BUT....it's not as simple as it might seem.

Since Google is the largest search engine I have used it as a starting point:

Google pages have in depth details of how to design a website that has a chance of indexing....

Here is their link http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=8458

The most important piece I read at google was NOT to submit your website to the search engines until the site is Complete....meaning all links are in place, all inventory is in place, etc.

So that's why I said I'm at the beginning of my website journey...I've got lots more to do on my pages before they are ready to submit.

Talk to ya later,
Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey
"Trying to get the shelves stocked!"

[quote]Originally posted by Vintage Redhead

*WOW*!!! Thank you *ALL*!!

I am so encouraged after reading everything that all of you ladies have to say. I *CAN* do this!

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  8:53:22 PM  Show Profile
My favorite article directories are:

eZineArticles.com
searchwarp.com

Both are simple to submit to after you register, and they are fairly high quality - articles are reviewed by a real person. I've won a contest from SearchWarp, and I get decent traffic from articles I submit there.

Article Marketing is a good thing. You can learn how to do it here:

http://www.articlemarketingmagic.com

But you can really do the same thing with photos, downloads, or anything else that you create that can be passed on with a link - they all get you the same thing:

Credibility
Backlinks to get traffic
Referred traffic to your website
Viral marketing which spreads beyond your own sphere of influence.

If you go through the Article Marketing site, and apply the same principles to other viral items - good quality, representative of your product but not giving away so much that nobody wants the full product, systemizing the production process to make it faster, avoiding outright sales pitches, and finding places to submit your items which plug you into existing marketing channels - you can adapt the same strategy to a wide variety of electronic items, including video, sound, images (photos or drawings), poems, quotes, eBooks, eZines, etc.

Take your own strengths, and use them for marketing. If you are lousy at writing, and feel that learning to write is not where your best use of your time is, then find something you are good at that can be used virally. Best is if your product itself, or a facet of it, can be modified in a limited form to create a viral marketing item. Again, creativity is the key.

Your product, and YOU, are the strength of your business. Find ways to use your own strengths to promote successfully. No one else can market your business as well as you can - not that you can't use help from professionals or others with experience, but nobody else will ever be as excited about your business as you are.

Laura

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:51:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what info!! I dont' have time right now to delve into all the info here but I'm somehow going to keep this one front and center for me for a while.

The trouble I'm having, sounds silly but it's true, is that I take a really good pic and then I don't want it out there, just want to keep it. Guess I'll have to get over that one, eh?? hehehe...

Also, I have found some good help from http://wahm.com. It's for work at home moms but if you do go there, get a throw away email from hotmail or yahoo cuz you will get inundated with some scams.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Took me a long time to learn that there will always be another of something we are really good at! Not exactly the same, but just as good.

I've done some really extraordinary sites. Most though, are solidly good. There are are a few of my own that I want to hang onto, but the rest I sell - sometimes it takes me a few more months to let go. But there will always be another idea in my head, another design, another concept.

Just like sales at Wal-Mart and bargains on eBay... Once in a while there is something truly extraordinary, but by an large with most of them, there will be another one.

And with photos, you can keep it and share it both. If it is so good you want to frame it for your own walls, then do so and don't sell it. Otherwise, file it, scrapbook it, archive it, or whatever, and sell copies so someone else can enjoy them! Having someone else love what we treasure is a great feeling! :)

Laura

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Don't Know Where To Begin... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page