Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Are chickens smart enough to avoid poison clematis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Are chickens smart enough to avoid poison clematis Next Topic  

want2danse
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

shelley
Athol Idaho
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  10:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I wanted to dress up my chicken coop a bit so I put up a trellis. I was hoping to plant clematis there but I know it's poisonous to birds. Will the chickens avoid it naturally or will they eat ANYTHING green that they come into contact with?

Thanks for your help.

Shelley

If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well danse.

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  11:44:11 AM  Show Profile
I've not has a lot of experience with chickens, just enough to know they're smarter than people give them credit for. However, my girls DO try everything they come into contact with. Others with more chicken (and clematis) experience will chime in, but in a similar circumstance I would forego planting anything toxic in or around my chicken coop.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  4:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Not sure about the clematis, but the other day, I watched a chicken pecking at and picking up bits of rust off of my truck! Hummmmm :)
Go to Top of Page

TillieB
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marjorie
Berwick ME
USA
25 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
That is very funny about the chickens picking at the rust on your truck! I have some old windows and I've noticed they have picked the paint off of those. Garbage gutts! Of course I'm trying to convince myself it is not lead paint. As for picking away at plants they do avoid stuff they don't like.
Marjorie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Are chickens smart enough to avoid poison clematis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page